Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:05 AM

156 posts, read 219,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Those of you that think if you have a net worth in the 7 figure category you could keep things like this thread is about from happening, have no idea of the problems with mental illness.

Example: Robin Williams the big entertainer that just committed suicide, left behind a net worth of $50 million dollars.

This is just one example that can be used, where people with considerable money have a suicide in the family,

And just because you have a lot of money, if you are a caring parent you let your kids come home to live when they have problems. Today, Fourteen percent of adults between the ages of 24 and 34 -- those in the post-college years when most young adults are trying to establish independence -- report living at home with their parents -- and those are mostly middle class through very wealthy.
Not 7 figures, but 8 or 9.

I have a very good idea of mental illness. I've battled it my entire life. Robin Williams had money problems. Three divorces sucking him dry was the main cause of his suicide.

The very wealthy don't need their kids living in their childhood bedrooms while they figure out financials. That is a middle class problem, should not apply to the wealthy.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:43 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post
Man slashes dad, leaps from 46th-floor UES apartment - NY Daily News

27 year old waiter is living with his financially successful parents in what I assume is a pretty small NYC apartment. Stabs his father at 6:30 AM and jumps out of his bedroom window.

If I had a net worth of $10m plus this would not be happening, no way, no how. Adult children living at home and working service jobs is a working class problem, I don't understand how the rich continually allow finance to ruin their lives!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/bu...doff.html?_r=0

The Madoffs? What are these fools doing? Getting put in jail for 30+ years and having your kid hang himself? How do you screw up fortune so badly?
Mental illness does not check your brokerage statements before striking. I think that, on average, rich people have it pretty good. There are always exceptions.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:44 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Robin Williams had money problems. Three divorces sucking him dry was the main cause of his suicide.
He had been diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:48 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Come on.

How can you possibly compare a mentally ill person with millions of millions of dollars with an average depressed person? That's like saying: What does cancer know about what health insurance plan you have? Well, if you don't have a plan, you are dead. If you have a great med plan, you can possibly fix the problem with doctors, treatment, a roof over your head.

Rich person:
Gets hit with depression and can quit job without starving
Can pay for not only therapy, but six figure mental health programs which are basically an extended vacation
Can focus ONLY on mental health, and not bills, work, bosses
Can take philanthropic vacations, volunteering their time

Average person:
Might be able to pay for a few hours of therapy per week
Still has to work crap job
Has no freedom, doesn't own house, relies on paycheck to survive
Every single middle-class person in their life abandons them because they all have their own bills to pay and difficult life to live without dealing with another person's problems

Keep in mind my perspective. I have been out on the street because of mental illness. I have not been able to afford doctor visits and medication. I primarily get depressed because of my employment situations. Depression and mental illness sucks, but you can make it through them with enough money. If you truly have a debilitating mental illness without money or support, you will not be able to survive in this cold world.

I was also not making comments that the rich are free from problems. My point was that if I had a child with mental illness, or any kid period, I would make sure their needs were met for optimal happiness. Again, if I was very wealthy, my kid wouldn't be working a menial service job and sharing close quarters with me against his will. Please understand that these families in question can pursue any passion in the world, yet still choose to be burdened with average problems.
You appear to be forgetting one important detail.........the rich stay rich because they do not spend their money on much of anything you have listed that will "fix" them. A lot of people who are rich live more frugal than those who have little money and are forced to live a frugal lifestyle.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:14 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
In this case, I disagree. His life sounded like it sucked. 27, top college grad, living with parents in an apartment and working as a waiter.

A prescription of only Prozac is generally not a heavy-duty mental illness.

If I had money like this, this problem does not happen. Period.
You are wrong on both counts. The core of your argument seems to be that rich people are not doing enough with what they are given. This can be said of any class.

You mentioned your own MH problems upthread. It is true that *usually* people on less psych meds are less sick, but there are too many caveats for it to be a blanket statement.

1. He could have been undertreated. (Ive seen many attempted and completed suicides by people on only ONE antidepressants.)

2. This may have been an enormous step just to take the Prozac given some people's ignorance about mental illness.(For example, I once had a teen patient begging for meds for her depression and her well educated upper class dad seriously wanted me to give her a placebo and kept asking how he could get the pharmacy to prescribe one!)

Old 11-13-2015, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You appear to be forgetting one important detail.........the rich stay rich because they do not spend their money on much of anything you have listed that will "fix" them. A lot of people who are rich live more frugal than those who have little money and are forced to live a frugal lifestyle.
I'm not forgetting it, it's a big reason I claim that a lot of them are stupid.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:22 AM

1. He could have been undertreated. (Ive seen many attempted and completed suicides by people on only ONE antidepressants.)

2. This may have been an enormous step just to take the Prozac given some people's ignorance about mental illness.(For example, I once had a teen patient begging for meds for her depression and her well educated upper class dad seriously wanted me to give her a placebo and kept asking how he could get the pharmacy to prescribe one!)[/quote]

Wouldn't these both be examples of stupidity?

Old 11-13-2015, 05:20 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
I have a very good idea of mental illness.
Clearly, you don't.

'Money' does not solve all problems, thinking that it does is delusional. Everybody has problems, or things they see as problems, rich, poor, middle-class. They may have different sets of 'problems', depending on their circumstances, but no less real, to them.

As well, there are 'stupid' people in all classes. Ignorance can be cured (and money can help with this), but nothing can cure 'stupid', not even money (and not even duct tape...though it *can* make it less annoying ).

Mental illness is a different animal. If your head is [messed] up, you aren't thinking straight. 'Problems' that seem as nothing to others, may seem insurmountable. Having 'money' might even seem to be a burden, along with the expectations that others might have of one who has it.

Anti-depressants are not a panacea. They do not work the same way for all people, some may even have the opposite effect. Have you not seen the warnings that taking them may cause suicidal thoughts or actions? That they *may* result in *worsening* depression? Have you not seen the disclaimers that 'such-and-such' is believed to work by..."? 'They' don't *know*, 'they' are *guessing* and using people as guinea pigs...as they do with many other drugs as well.

Quote:
I've battled it my entire life.
I was going to put something funny here...but I'd probably get borked for a 'personal attack'...it seems that C-D has been the victim of a crime...everyone's sense of humor has been stolen.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:55 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Money does NOT guarantee happiness, it just allows more able to do and buy what they want.
Money does not fix mental illness or any other kind of illness.
Someone with cancer can be filthy rich, but they still have cancer.

All the money in the world won't stop a drug addict if they want drugs. Sending an addict off somewhere doesn't ensure that he will stay where he's sent and you cannot force him to go.

Ask the family of anyone who has a rich successful music or acting career (Robin Williams for instance), did being rich make him happier? hell no, it made NO difference.

You just don't get it OP. Money isn't everything. Not at all. Some rich people are cursed with problems.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Clearly, you don't.

'Money' does not solve all problems, thinking that it does is delusional. Everybody has problems, or things they see as problems, rich, poor, middle-class. They may have different sets of 'problems', depending on their circumstances, but no less real, to them.

As well, there are 'stupid' people in all classes. Ignorance can be cured (and money can help with this), but nothing can cure 'stupid', not even money (and not even duct tape...though it *can* make it less annoying ).

Mental illness is a different animal. If your head is [messed] up, you aren't thinking straight. 'Problems' that seem as nothing to others, may seem insurmountable. Having 'money' might even seem to be a burden, along with the expectations that others might have of one who has it.

Anti-depressants are not a panacea. They do not work the same way for all people, some may even have the opposite effect. Have you not seen the warnings that taking them may cause suicidal thoughts or actions? That they *may* result in *worsening* depression? Have you not seen the disclaimers that 'such-and-such' is believed to work by..."? 'They' don't *know*, 'they' are *guessing* and using people as guinea pigs...as they do with many other drugs as well.

I was going to put something funny here...but I'd probably get borked for a 'personal attack'...it seems that C-D has been the victim of a crime...everyone's sense of humor has been stolen.
Money doesn't solve all problems, but I bet it would solve his!

I'm not sure how the thread devolved into mental illness. There is very little evidence of serious mental illness. He worked with people, graduated from a great college and apparently was very pleasant at work. He was highly functional. My theory is that he was frustrated with his lack of money and living situation and he snapped.

Even if he was mentally ill, is this the way to solve it? I think not. If I had mental illness with an unlimited credit card, I'd be trying yoga in Nepal or acupuncture in Bali, not waiting tables. A lot of mental illnesses are triggered by external events. Working a stressful low-paying job while living with your parents and probably not seeing a lot of female company has a good chance of leading to depression or straight anger.

Saying money doesn't matter in mental illness is buffoonery. Rich people can literally go to the ends of the world for different types of treatment. Despite what you say, I know a lot about mental illness and the types of treatment. There is a wide range of very different practices and locations, but they all have one thing in common: $$$$$. Some inpatient programs can get up to $60k. Psychiatrists, medication, therapy, all take time and money. Average folks can't just quit their job and take a $40k month long vacation at a treatment center in Malibu.

Mental illness, especially depression, should not be fatal. It is definitely breakable with the right environment and treatment. No excuses if you have FU money.

Last edited by SuffolkIntellect; 11-13-2015 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy