U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:35 PM

7,297 posts, read 4,401,092 times

Advertisements

I've learned five things in life:

1. Worrying almost never makes a difference in the outcome.

2. Pick your battles. Some things (especially family) are worth fighting for; others really aren't worth expending your energies on.

3. Be kind. When in doubt about what to say or do, choose the kinder choice.

4. Forgive yourself. No one is perfect, although a lot of people pretend to be.

5. Show the people you love that you love them as often as you can so that if something unexpected happens to you, they'll have no doubts and you will have no regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 08:14 AM

3,915 posts, read 3,244,971 times
At seventy I've realized:

That time doesn't allow for too many mistakes.

That arguing is a human trait, but you can lose your humanity in the process.

That money won't cover the costs of broken relationships.

That entertainment is only good if we aren't entertained too much.

That no one owes anyone, except their mother.

That people all to often die before we can find the time to befriend them.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:16 PM

13,192 posts, read 4,918,014 times
if I could pofile the stock market like I can people I would buy and sell Bill Gates. before one whines, marteting and insurance companies make use of it too.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:33 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,843,725 times
I have learned that no matter how hard you try you will never do it all right. So forgive yourself and forgive others because nothing is as wrong as a "goody two shoes."

The kindest people are the ones who have the courage to tell it like it is rather than tell it like you want it to be. But do it gently please.

How your life turns out depends on you and the choices you make.

At the end of the day, God is the only one who can fix it but you have to give Him permission to do so. Love isn't rude. He can be trusted.

God willing I will be seventy in a couple of weeks.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:53 PM

1,640 posts, read 541,955 times
This is a bit negative, but as the years go by (in my 40s now) I'm more of a-hole than I realized (impatient, take what I have for granted, etc). I knew in my early 20s that I needed to get my personality crap together back then so my future self would be in a better position. I did not manage that as well as I hoped.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:44 AM

36,993 posts, read 45,466,452 times
Life is short.
People are all the same, no matter where they live.
Honesty IS the best policy.
Character matters.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:11 PM

20 posts, read 14,657 times
As much as possible, never rely on someone else, even if that someone else is family.

Manage money wisely, and work for your future self. Don't buy anything on credit cards unless you can pay it off in full immediately.

"Fake it until you make it" is quite real. Projecting confidence will attract others and success. Going along with this, remember that others are probably more nervous/insecure than they show.

99% of what you experience, someone else has been through. You aren't alone. The internet is a great place to find support for any problem.

Everyone has something going on in their life that you don't know about. Divorce, death, illness, pain, etc. Take the nice/high road whenever possible when dealing with another.

For a while, I made the mistake in my career that I'd put my head down, and focus on work/what you know. I neglected the social aspect of work which is also important to getting ahead. If you're very busy at work, even coming in 15 minutes early to give you time to get a coffee in the break room and make small talk with coworkers will go a long way.

After the death of my daughter I realized how so many "problems" in life simply don't matter. There's no point to stressing or getting angry about the little things.

Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:37 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,136,905 times
1) Never pass up the chance to take a pee. You never know when you will get stuck on the elevator, on the train, in a traffic Jam
2) If the weather is on the fence between warm and cool, take a jacket. You can take off the jacket wherever you are if you get to warm but you can't put on a jacket you didn't bring.
3) You can't tickle yourself however you try
4) All religions are just ideologies. They don't get a pass on contravening basic human, gender and animal rights just because they have the label religion
4) Similarly, family doesn't get a free pass on bad behavior that you would accept from anyone else just because they "are family"
5) Its not worth getting angry over, whatever it is. Unless they ran over your cat or burned your whole house down.
6) There's no such thing in the universes as "fair" versus "not fair". Its a human made-up notion.
7) If life was fair you'd be living like the average person on earth - on about 5$ a day without a proper home and in an unstable country with food insecurity. But see 6).

Old 12-20-2015, 11:07 AM

4,922 posts, read 7,854,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
4. A few REAL friends are better then having many fake ones.

AMEN to this. And I might add, know the difference between the two. The real ones are much tougher to find.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:55 AM

6,105 posts, read 7,234,898 times
Truth is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or