Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:49 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times

Advertisements

I have learned a lot of things:
The Navy is better than the Army
Life is a terminal illness, no matter what you eat, drink, or do, you gonna die!
Pleasingly plump women are nicer to hold than skinny ones.
Roller skating is fun. Ice skating, not so much.
If one is not athletically inclined, one should avoid jocks whenever and wherever possible.
There is no such thing as too much money.
He who dies with the most toys doesn't win anything, but he sure had a lot of fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 02:02 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
We've all heard that money doesn't buy happiness. I'd say you're not spending it right then.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
That knowledge is over-rated and the wisdom to use it is under-rated.

We have a million times more knowledge today that we had two thousand years ago, but are still bound by two-thousand year old conventional wisdom in our application of it. In fact, still largely influenced by five-thousand year old dogma. So, as a result, few if any of the issues plaguing human society have been significantly diminished.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:55 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
^^ ...and then to let it roll off when you're accused of being a b*tch. Yeah.
LOL, you're exactly right, that too

Old 11-26-2015, 07:00 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
we go in circles even if we try not to
love is really blind
some have no love in them at all
money is really evil-
should work less and deal with family more--
simple is better -bigger is not
everything depends on intent
life is not fair
depend on God no one else is really there 100%

Old 12-01-2015, 08:33 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,202 times
Default at 55

as someone who is 55 Ill give you observations about life.

1.respect money and it will respect you-being good at handling money is very important in life.

2. you are known by the company you keep- some people are nice and pleasure to be around others are human train wrecks, be very at good judging people very quickly and staying away from the trouble makers.

3.its what you know and who you know- having good connections is very important in life.

4.emotion health is much more important than physical health. learn to relax, meditate, do something to relax.

5.you are only as miserable as you want to be- reality is very subjective.

6. everyone is different, some can play mozart when they are 5 years old and some couldnt bang two sticks together if the practiced their whole life.

7.society is very judgmental-we judge people on how the walk and talk and what type of clothes they wear and what type of car they drive.we shouldnt but we do.

8.be honest with yourself, the easiest person to deceive is you!-did you get fired because the boss is a jerk and doesnt like you or because you come in late all the time , did the landlord evict you because he hates you or because you havent paid rent in month?? some people just dont get it.

9. have little confidence in public officials, many politician are corrupt police mostly serve and protect each other, and companies only care about profit at any cost to the environment or public safety.

10. find a purpose in life- any hobby no matter how humble is better than doing nothing.

11. and what my high school teacher told me --life is a ***** and then you die.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:47 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times
really liked this and its all true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
One of the "friend" definitions is person you in love with, mutually, but without sexual relationship.

Actually, that was not MY question. That was YOUR question. What you are doing is you are asking yourself that question - what have I learned - through the prism of other people responses. You are likely to read them and compare to what your life provided and then analyze your life and your "learns".

Here's something you may want to consider.

1) You will receive a body. You may love it or hate it, but it will be yours for the duration of your life on Earth.

2) You will be presented with lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called ‘life.’ Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or hate them, but you have designed them as part of your curriculum.

3) There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of experimentation, a series of trials, errors, and occasional victories. The failed experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiments that work.

4) A lesson is repeated until learned. Lessons will be repeated to you in various forms until you have learned them. When you have learned them, you can then go on to the next lesson.

5) Learning does not end. There is no part of life that does not contain lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.

6) ‘There’ is no better than ‘here’. When your ‘there’ has become a ‘here,’ you will simply obtain a ‘there’ that will look better to you than your present ‘here’.

7) Others are only mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects something you love or hate about yourself.

8) What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you.

9) Your answers lie inside of you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.

10) You will forget all of this at birth. You can remember it if you want by unraveling the double helix of inner knowing.

Think about this. Do not rush. Take time. Spend some time meditating over those simple - simple has tendency to be true - rules and then come back and maybe edit your response to your question - what have you learned?

Old 12-04-2015, 12:04 AM

189 posts, read 176,459 times
- Sometimes, the grass really is greener. Don't be afraid to make the jump.

- People (individuals) really are different - in how they think, understand, and feel. A lot of misunderstandings happen because of lack of appreciation of this fact.

- Cultural differences are real and profound, but they are cultural, not biological.

- Life gets better, but only if you keep chipping away, making it better.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
I have also learned ... why lose my job, do what they tell you and move on.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:14 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,037 times
That everything I had thought I had learned.....hasn't amounted to a hill of beans.
Every day is a new day. We all get 24 more hours to fix it...or break it.
That living life..is quite the education.
I can pull strength from within..that I didn't know I possessed.
You cannot save other people..from themselves.
You can only save yourself.
Patience..patience...patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy