Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 03:27 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,313,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You know the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" so here's a mental musing to toss around...

Say Extraterrestrials with technology on the "godlike" scale came to Earth, picked you out of the 7+ Billion other people on the planet and gave you access to all their considerable abilities with the only caveat being that you couldn't exercise that power off-planet.

Suppose you were made essentially immortal and personally invincible vs any Earthly technology, able to manipulate matter to be whatever you wanted it to be with a thought, read minds, granted genius (but still within the maximum cognitive capabilities the human brain) intelligence, speak/understand any language and travel anywhere on the planet in the blink of an eye.

With such godlike powers, could you "fix" the world and all it's problems or would you inevitably and/or unintentionally destroy it? Would the world greet you as a savior or fear and hate you? Would you even try to save the world or would you fear your own power and hide yourself away?

I guess the bigger question is if the human mind is even up to the task... are we only ever "just smart enough to get (ourselves) into trouble"?

Any Operating Thetan can do all that, but it appears they have more important concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 04:09 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Why does one have to have power to make things better?

Old 11-29-2015, 07:22 PM

589 posts, read 696,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
no I don't think you can 'fix' the world unless you can reprogram human nature in every single human being. Short of that there's nothing else you could do.
This is very true. Plenty of humans are irrational and crave chaos. Some people get bored when there's peace and will start conflict for entertainment. How would you stop these people from sabotaging your perfect world after you fix it?

Old 12-02-2015, 06:08 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
You know the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" so here's a mental musing to toss around...

Say Extraterrestrials with technology on the "godlike" scale came to Earth, picked you out of the 7+ Billion other people on the planet and gave you access to all their considerable abilities with the only caveat being that you couldn't exercise that power off-planet.

Suppose you were made essentially immortal and personally invincible vs any Earthly technology, able to manipulate matter to be whatever you wanted it to be with a thought, read minds, granted genius (but still within the maximum cognitive capabilities the human brain) intelligence, speak/understand any language and travel anywhere on the planet in the blink of an eye.

With such godlike powers, could you "fix" the world and all it's problems or would you inevitably and/or unintentionally destroy it? Would the world greet you as a savior or fear and hate you? Would you even try to save the world or would you fear your own power and hide yourself away?

I guess the bigger question is if the human mind is even up to the task... are we only ever "just smart enough to get (ourselves) into trouble"?
I'd give many of my powers to my fellow humans, but not all. I'd give enough of my power for them to live in utopia, but not enough for them to overthrow me or grow too wild. For example, everyone would have wings and not age past 27. Also they could all breathe underwater and use sunlight as a food source and remain healthy drinking nothing but saltwater. All disease would be gone. We'd have a very different society: Winged people flying around in utopia. I'd probably leave people's minds the same, because I'd want to assist humanity rather than destroy and recreate it. After creating a utopia, I'd probably continually interfere because people would keep creating new problems. I'd advertise the fact that I'd feel extremely offended by those who worshipped me. I'd advertise that I'd not mind being hated or feared. It would be unreasonable to not expect to be feared by the world, and I'd probably be understanding of hatred for me too...because there would always be more I could do. I doubt humanity could be "fixed" completely without being destroyed and recreated. It'll keep creating more problems.

After that utopia had been created I'd interfere in ways such as stopping mass shootings from happening. Ideally, all of our survival-based problems would go away and I'd become a cultural leader and use my mind-reading ability to assist everyone in getting along and understanding mental illness better.

I'd be a heavily interfering god-ish being. I feel like it could surely make humanity end up like wild animals that become reliant on tourists for food...but humanity has problems now, so it doesn't make sense not to solve those problems out of concern for future potential problems.

Last edited by Clintone; 12-02-2015 at 06:48 PM..

Old 12-02-2015, 09:17 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
I think I'd have a moral obligation to hoard the god-power for a time. Eventually, I'd like to get rid of the responsibility by passing it on to all the rest of humanity. It would probably have to be all of humanity, even those people who wouldn't want it because they'll tend to be the ones best suited to have it.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:58 PM

45 posts, read 46,880 times
Quote:

Yes, but I chose not to. Can you just imagine pointless, senseless, existence this would create for you ? Just imagine a world that is perfect according to ME and not YOU or HIM.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
The rich 1% out there need chaos and disorder they get more powerful when there is manageable discontent. Which is why the government only help the poor but not the middle class that are enslaved by the rich. The middle class can't fight for themselves while the poor has nothing to do can easily revolt and disrupt the business of the rich.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:10 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,043 times
I do it, now, everyone just give your will and power to me

Old 12-17-2015, 05:38 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:

No. And I would not want to. I don't trust people who have a God complex. Besides, the SIMS has proven that most people would destroy it after making people suffer for the sheer entertainment value like putting your old boss in a run down trailer, and making him have a very hard life in game.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:26 PM

112 posts, read 103,404 times
Nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy