Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 12:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times

Advertisements

In my surroundings there are two times you have to be wary of "the angels of death" fluttering around: early to mid 50's and again in the early 60's. We just had a big die off last year of people 62 - 64 yrs old. Ten years ago or so, it was the 52 - 57 yr olds; all of them sudden and unexpected. If you can get past 65 still breathing you'll likely live to near 80 or above. I know very few people these days dying in their late 60's or 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 01:09 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
O As an example, my expected longevity is 77, but if I average ALL deaths for my sex and age and race together my expected longevity is 65.

Mortality should be a concern for every one that has a brain and can think for themselves.
That is BS..... The average age is 77 for ALL CAUSES. What are talking about.?

If the average age is 77 that is the AVERAGE AGE of all PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIED.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:12 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
In my surroundings there are two times you have to be wary of "the angels of death" fluttering around: early to mid 50's and again in the early 60's. We just had a big die off last year of people 62 - 64 yrs old. Ten years ago or so, it was the 52 - 57 yr olds; all of them sudden and unexpected. If you can get past 65 still breathing you'll likely live to near 80 or above. I know very few people these days dying in their late 60's or 70's.
The trick is to still be vital into your 80s. If you're still enriching the lives of others rather than being only a burden, you've lived well.

Dying from a heart attack in your sleep at age 85 the an hour after telling a great-grandchild a goodnight story and tucking her in, or while swinging a hammer in a Habitat house at age 85 isn't a bad way to go...given that we all do go.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:12 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
In some days I'm going to be 55. I never thought about age or death before but it hit me that 55 is close to 60 and 60 is close to 65 and so on. I've been alive for 54 going on 55 years.

What really gets me is hearing about people I knew dying. There's still so much more I want to do and is five years enough? How long will my health hold out? Heck how much longer do I have left? My answer at this point is to live as best as I can for as long as I can. 54 years went by so fast. How long is this mortal death?

So I just had my life limitation eye opening. Have any others had such a realization and if so when?
You'll be alive as long the creator feels he needs you to be. So stop all the morbid thoughts and enjoy yourself. You've been ignorning mortality for 54 years. What's a few more?

Old 12-21-2015, 01:18 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
I think a lot of us go through life ignoring the dread of death.

Since this is a Philosophy forum the existential nothingness that is death scares the crud out of me, and I'm a relatively young 33 years old.

I'll lie awake at night, and a wave of anxiety comes over me. A thousand thoughts of after death and before death rush through me. It's horrible.

A lot of people cope with this, with heaven or God, and I just don't know. It's the not knowing that I can't really come to terms with.

Once that wave subsides, the only thing to do is recognise my humanness, be humble in the face of non-existence, and try to honor my humanity with enjoying life and trying to become a better me.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:23 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Everything is easier when you know that "Heaven" and "Hell" can not logically exist.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Everything is easier when you know that "Heaven" and "Hell" can not logically exist.
Although I agree, it actually makes it harder. Heaven and hell were put into place to quell fear in people. The fact of no existence beyond death means when you die you DIE. That, while likely is a scary proposition.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:06 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
The people that die young or younger than average stand out because it's abnormal. But I would guess that more people reach 75+ than don't. So it makes sense for the average person to expect to live well into their 70s and even 80s. 80 year olds seem ( to me) to be pretty common.

And should mortality be a concern? It's a natural part of life. All living things die. But we humans have higher brains that allow us to worry about and fear our eventual demise, which is a natural process.
The mean age for longevity for my sex and age and race is 65, that means that 50% of my group die before 65 and 50% live longer then 65. Most can reach the insurance companies estimate of longevity if they lock themselves in a room, don't smoke, stay thin, exercise everyday, don't drive, don't walk on busy streets, don't have any birth defects, DNA predisposition to disease of any kind and don't drink to excess. Then you will probably live to or past your expected longevity age.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:13 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
The mean age for longevity for my sex and age and race is 65, that means that 50% of my group die before 65 and 50% live longer then 65. Most can reach the insurance companies estimate of longevity if they lock themselves in a room, don't smoke, stay thin, exercise everyday, don't drive, don't walk on busy streets, don't have any birth defects, DNA predisposition to disease of any kind and don't drink to excess. Then you will probably live to or past your expected longevity age.
But is that "mean age for longevity" factored from birth or from a more advanced age?

For instance, black males in the US suffer an abnormally large morbidity spike between 18 and 26 that pulls down the mean age for longevity if it is factored from birth.

It tends to be significantly higher if factored from age 50. In other words, a black male whose personal habits and environment enabled him to live to age 50 has beaten many of the odds of an earlier death.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't!! What is your group, males? Males average 77..so stop saying 65 you are giving out bad info.

77 is the average of EVERYBODY..smokers, drinkers, vegetarians, meat eaters. It is the purpose of average TO INCLUDE all people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy