U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 02:18 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,284,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
That is BS..... The average age is 77 for ALL CAUSES. What are talking about.?

If the average age is 77 that is the AVERAGE AGE of all PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIED.
It's not your average age, its your EXPECTED longevity per insurance company estimates. Insurance companies have said that their estimates do not include deaths from unnatural causes. Investigate your local obits, if my longevity estimate is 77 then 50% of the deaths should older and 50% should be younger. I have never found that to be true.

I can count on one hand the number of people that I have know to live past 80, yet I can count into the hundreds to have died younger then that.

I made the same mistake you are making until I researched it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 02:19 PM

9,564 posts, read 8,849,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
It's not your average age, its your EXPECTED longevity per insurance company estimates. Insurance companies have said that their estimates do not include deaths from unnatural causes. Investigate your local obits, if my longevity estimate is 77 then 50% of the deaths should older and 50% should be younger. I have never found that to be true.

I can count on one hand the number of people that I have know to live past 80, yet I can count into the hundreds to have died younger then that.

I made the same mistake you are making until I researched it.
You are simply wrong.

What does your personal situation have to do with it. My god man..you are denying statistics here.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,002,270 times
I'm 45 and while I entirely accept the finite nature of individual existence, it doesn't bother me. In terms of 'experiencing everything want to experience', well that's simply impossible for most of us. Even if we had more time, most of us don't have enough resources to do everything.

For instance, I'd love to travel more, especially to non-Western areas, but right now I don't have the time or money. After I retire I'll have the time and enough money to travel more extensively, but will I have the health, energy, and desire to do so? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Even if we eventually did experience everything we wanted, then what? Would you be comfortable dying then?

I also now understand mortality isn't a bad thing, but is in fact necessary. In order for new life to emerge, old life must eventually die, and that's perfectly OK. Immortality would get awfully tedious eventually. Someday, I'll be ready for 'it' to be over.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:25 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,685,191 times
If there's one thing I've learned, it is to never assume anything when it comes to living or dying. I could die today or live to average age or much later. Don't assume that if you're a woman, you'll survive past your husband's death. Don't assume all your children will survive longer than you. Don't assume you'll survive today or tomorrow. Averages are just meaningless when it comes to an individual. In terms of entire populations, they're meaningful. But not for the individual. What is certain is that everyone will die, sooner or later.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:40 PM

135 posts, read 115,753 times
I take a more philosophical approach towards life.

Whenever I have expectations of a future occurrence, I lose. Whenever I lose sight of being grateful for the things I have and instead put my focus and desires on things I don't have, I lose. Nobody is ever in a good mood when they think about the things they need to fulfill from a standpoint of not having done it yet. Does your happiness depend on things you don't have or haven't done yet? Rethink what it means to be happy.

Age is just a number. The calendar you look at and the time you glance upon is your master by choice. All you have to do is ignore it and you regain yourself. The inherent problem with this is our society is built around adhering to schedules. If you have the luxury to disregard time, i'd say you have it made.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:38 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,424,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Everything is easier when you know that "Heaven" and "Hell" can not logically exist.
The smart man knows that he doesn't know much at all. Humans are extremely fallible, so I think it's wise for them to realize how limited they really are. Nobody really knows what, if anything, lies beyond our physical demise. I respect both believers and non-believers, and I try to keep an open mind.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:39 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,050,967 times
The thing I'm aware of is aging and how people go from being attractive to unattractive. I think of people like Lena Horne, Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor--they were beautiful women, mind-blowing sexy, yet they eventually were old in their appearance (well Marilyn Monroe would be if she were still here, she'd be almost 90). Taylor Swift and Beyoncé will one day look like Janet Reno, and these are women who right now are so gorgeous it would blow your mind, and guys fantasize and have dreams about them. You realize men used to do the same thing with the women I mentioned earlier, and Rita Hayworth etc. You realize how Ursala Andress looked in the first James Bond movie and how she looks now, and that such is the fate of every attractive woman on the planet.

Also, you look at professional athletes and realize one day they'll be too old to play. Wilt Chamberlain isn't here any longer and hasn't been for almost 20 years now. His contemporary Bill Russell is over 80. These were people doing what LeBron James and Kevin Durant are doing now. You look at Stephen Curry and realize that's what Reggie Miller used to do, and he's now over 50. You realize that we will never see Michael Jordan play again. I miss Shaquille O'Neal as well. There will be not ever be any "Magic to LeBron" lob passes or any Dr J vs LeBron match-ups.

You enjoy things like swimming and bicycling and realize one day you'll be too frail to do that anymore. It makes you appreciate how you can currently do those things, and you try and do them whenever you can due to this awareness.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:47 PM

4,644 posts, read 6,451,577 times
After reading some of these post which I say thanks I now fully understand a bucket list. Fishing in Alaska is at the top.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:39 PM

19,784 posts, read 11,029,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
You enjoy things like swimming and bicycling and realize one day you'll be too frail to do that anymore. It makes you appreciate how you can currently do those things, and you try and do them whenever you can due to this awareness.
As a road cyclist, I certainly noted how increasingly long it took me at the beginning of each riding season to get up to speed. Eventually, the season was nearly over by the time I could reach the level at which I once started each season.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,209,642 times
I think I have a pretty good take on this whole death thing. I'm 63 1/2, to which people often reply, "Why do you add the 1/2?" I tell them it's because I embrace my aging as a natural part of my life. I also embrace the fact that someday I will not be here anymore. I won't know that, of course, but I won't be. I have been very blessed throughout my life. Not that any of it was easy and not that I don't have regrets, I do. But on the whole, I have been blessed. I am grateful for each and every day. To show my gratitude, I try to be my very best person every day to those around me. I am kind to strangers, I never seek the advantage in anything I do and I give to those less fortunate than me. I take great care of my son and make sure that he knows how much I love him. Consequently, I am ready to go at any time. There is nothing left unsaid or undone. My plan is to just keep living my life until one day I don't. But, like I said, I won't know it. And that's just fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or