U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 07:48 AM

1,279 posts, read 2,109,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Thanks! That's a great article. I'm sending it to some people who need to read it.
Glad I could help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 01:06 PM

3,312 posts, read 1,868,812 times
Sounds like the man should divorce her and find someone else as clearly she doesn't love him. If I was with a man I loved (and I would be if I decided to get married) I would only use my device for good meaning I would play/sing a song to make him feel good..if he didn't mind my singing. Music is my way of expressing myself.

As for sitting with friends I don't see the big deal. I always need something to do so I play with my device when I'm out somewhere just eating. I don't feel close to most people so I don't do much talking. Whatever they're talking about generally doesn't interest me..although I know I am most likely different because I've been told I'm a great listener so unless I'm having one of those zone out moments where I'm really engrossed I use my device and still know what's going on around me. Plus it is odd that the whole group would not be talking to each other.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:43 PM

14,191 posts, read 9,037,089 times
Addiction to technology is no sadder than any other addiction. It may even be less destructive than alternative addictions.

The solution is not to tsk-tsk about the evils of technology, but to get recognition for this new avenue of addiction and build supportive programs to help people when they are ready to admit they have a self-control problem around it.

Some of this is also less about addiction than it is about shifting social conventions. When I was a kid we just had Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) and in fact up until I was about 14 we actually had a party line. I recall that in most homes, everything was always dropped to answer the phone. It was like a Pavlovian response. The only thing that's different now is that we get a lot more calls, and the phone is in our pocket, plus the phone is a multipurpose and multichannel device. Maybe now that the phone isn't a self-limiting influence in our lives we need to develop some new social standards. Even back in my childhood people were pointing out, correctly, that it's okay not to answer the phone if you're busy with something else -- and this was before answering machines were around.

Today it seems pretty well accepted that if you meet someone in person it's no less rude than it ever has been to ignore that person. That a smartphone is the source of the distraction is kind of beside the point. If you ask me, that a person is Cretin enough to ignore a dinner companion for ANY reason, it's a failure of basic upbringing and training, not the fault of technology.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:39 AM

605 posts, read 360,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Sounds like the man should divorce her and find someone else as clearly she doesn't love him.
You're advocating a [near-]deathbed divorce? "Dear Nickchick" probably won't be replacing "Dear Abby" anytime soon

415_s2k/mordant--great posts as usual

Old 03-14-2017, 01:51 PM

12 posts, read 3,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I was reading a Dear Abby column yesterday that made me sad. A woman told about how she and a few others were waiting to receive their chemo treatments. All were in their final stages of cancer and didn't have much time left. She said one of the men told the others that when his wife would bring him to his appointments, she'd be wrapped up with her cellphone rather than paying attention to him. She said he looked so sad when he said this. I thought about how awful he must feel. He has so little time left, and he feels like his wife would rather play on her phone than to have those last memories with her husband. I have been thinking back over the years about how wrapped up people are becoming with their gadgets to the point of ignoring those around them. In a restaurant, I saw a table of four friends ALL playing on their phones rather than making eye contact with each other or conversing. I go to supermarkets and see mothers pushing their baby in a cart with one hand while texting with the other while the baby doesn't get the attention and stimuli afforded the babies of yesterday's generation. Does anybody else think that this is a pretty sad state of affairs?
we people want to do everything easier.it make everything harder anyway.Before cellphones we agree to meet on a time.then we met.today we talk on it many time but we forget it.these finish our dialogue and finish evrything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or