Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,516,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Those programs will continue to run on a cloud, somewhere.

Same as life after death.
Like same as electricity after the electricity is switched off. Or same as the existence of the apple after it has been eaten.

What about life before birth. Just as likely right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 06:46 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,905,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
In every generation you can find plenty of people who think that science has explained all of the most basic and important stuff, and that future science just needs to fill in the minor details. So far, every generation has been proven wrong. It is possible, of course, that we, in this generation, have reached the end of revolutionary science, but I am personally inclined to not bet on it. I would also point out that those who have historically insisted that we are done with revolutionary science have made their arguments based on the idea that there is "no conceivable way" for any new theory to "violate" this or that theory and still explain the old, well-verified data. Generally, what turns out to be missing is merely a sufficient level of imagination, and this lack of imagination is caused by an overly zealous commitment to the popular current paradigm. The trick of genius is to step back and question the "obvious" things that "everybody knows".

What I'm saying is that NDEs don't have to be "beyond science", and they certainly don't mean that we have to become creationists, or convert to some religion, or believe in fairy tales. Just because current physics can't explain how NDEs can happen, it does not follow that future science couldn't explain them. There are impressive reports of NDE that are really hard to explain. Yes they are anecdotal, but this doesn't mean that they are worthless.
Right. I agree with the general thought of your thread. One of the things that struck me when I got my doctorate in the medical field is that we really don't know much at all. For myself I'm a Christian and sometimes get some flack from people about "blind faith", yet I always find it odd that most people who are strong believers of the current science trends are essentially doing the same thing. One can be all smug about how the "world's just about all figured out now" or some other similar phraseology but what needs to be considered is that the stuff's that's "all figured out" tends to change quite a bit. At one point in time, people would have thought you were crazy if you thought the earth wasn't flat. We think we're *so* far advanced from that unsophisticated way of thinking, but I'm sorry, we're just not. There will be things hundreds of years from now that are beyond people's capacity to comprehend right now that people in that generation will think we're barbaric for not having any knowledge of it now.

I just think it might be wise for us to humble ourselves and realize that there is a vast, vast amount of things to understand out there and we are no where near to understanding even a fraction of it.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:51 PM

967 posts, read 683,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Life actually ends at death.

That is what death is . . . the end of life.

Not a continuation of it in some other realm.

“The dead know nothing at all.” (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

The first man, Adam, was initially formed from dust, and, returned to the dust when he died. (Genesis 2:7; 3:19)

Likewise, all others who die return to the dust.—Ecclesiastes 3:19, 20.

There is no 'afterlife'.

“The soul that is sinning—it itself will die.” (Ezekiel 18:4)

Since a person is a soul, to say that someone died is to say that his soul died.

"What Happens After Death?" is an article that share more scriptures relating to your question.

Yup. I figure it's just like going to sleep at night, except you never wake up. Since your body is dead and there is no brain activity, there is no dreaming or anything like that so you are gone, you just don't know it.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:59 PM

57 posts, read 48,390 times
You wake as someone else, or maybe something else like an animal.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
Your heart stops and for me, I'll be flying over the Pacific Ocean to keep company with the fish and whales and dolphins.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:03 PM

326 posts, read 180,706 times
When you die, you sort of go into a "sleep" like state for a few years or so. Then you will be resurrected when the Lord God comes back down to earth on the day of judgement. All of humanity, living and dead, will be brought before God so God can decide if they are worthy of heaven of not. If they are not, they shall be punished in hell for forever. If they are, then they proceed to Heaven to dwell with God And Jesus forever.

Note: Since in the afterlife there's no sense of time, God judges humanity all at once

Old 06-17-2016, 07:44 AM

1,386 posts, read 991,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
If NDE occurs during flat-lined brain activity, then clearly some new theories of physics will be needed (or, at least, some radically new theory of consciousness in which conscious experience is not reducible to neural correlates).
Are you familiar with Dr. Eben Alexander's experience?

http://www.newsweek.com/proof-heaven...fterlife-65327

Hey says:
Quote:
There is no scientific explanation for the fact that while my body lay in coma, my mind—my conscious, inner self—was alive and well.While the neurons of my cortex were stunned to complete inactivity by the bacteria that had attacked them, my brain-free consciousness journeyed to another, larger dimension of the universe: a dimension I’d never dreamed existed and which the old, pre-coma me would have been more than happy to explain was a simple impossibility.

--

Old 06-17-2016, 12:18 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,893,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Do you go to heaven, can you still see and breathe, will you have a next life?
Oh sweetheart, I wish I believed this. I tried to for years. Or actually, decades. But none of it ever made logical sense in the end, nor did I receive any sort of an "epiphany." I truly believe we want to believe in life after death because we simply can not accept that things AREN'T fair in this life. We WANT everything to measure up in the end. We want the bad guys to get theirs, we want to be forgiven our own bad guy stuff because we're convinced we exclusively had "good" reasons for our actions, and we want a huge reward for every slight we've suffered. But I don't believe we get it - for good or for ill. I believe life is hard, with some fun thrown in (especially if we try hard to achieve that fun), but that some perceived wrongs will never be righted and there will be no giant reward simply for having existed and not killed somebody in cold blood or something.

When we die, we no longer "are," and our bodies disintegrate.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:41 PM

51,956 posts, read 52,386,711 times
I dont believe that there's a heaven as we've been told. I wish there was and I'm jealous of the believers, there must be a certain peace that they have. I think Einstein was right in his energy thoughts. I believe we are energy that probably just shifts in some way or another. I don't know at the end of the day.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:45 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,893,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I dont believe that there's a heaven as we've been told. I wish there was and I'm jealous of the believers, there must be a certain peace that they have. I think Einstein was right in his energy thoughts. I believe we are energy that probably just shifts in some way or another. I don't know at the end of the day.
I'm jealous of believers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy