Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:27 AM

5,683 posts, read 4,115,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Phrenology? You are insulting your own intelligence on this.

As I said you are very ignorant of neuroscience by your insistence of mentioning 'phrenology' which is relatively 'primitive'. You seem to be stuck with primitive knowledge.

Note the advancements in neuroscience since the age of phrenology, i.e.;

1. The use of advance MRI machines to detect activities in the brain. MRI is still crude but neuroscience is progressing with more precise imaging.

2. Are you familiar with the advancement of the Connectome.
Human Connectome Project*|*Mapping the human brain connectivity
Navigate the brain in a way that was never before possible; fly through major brain pathways, compare essential circuits, zoom into a region to explore the cells that comprise it, and the functions that depend on it.
The Human Connectome Project aims to provide an unparalleled compilation of neural data, an interface to graphically navigate this data and the opportunity to achieve never before realized conclusions about the living human brain.
To date Neuroscientists have been able to map all the neurons of some simple animals.
Yes the human brain is more complex but it is not an impossible task to get far enough to understand [at least roughly] where and how wisdom is activated in the brain.
Once many thought it was impossible to map the human genome, now it is done.

I did not claim it can be done NOW, but I am optimistic it can be done some time in the future, based on the trend of the exponential expansion of knowledge in the field of neuroscience.
I don't know how you gathered from my post that I am in any way a believer in phrenology. I was saying that your claim about the existing of a separate faculty that drives the evolution of continuous human improvement sounds like many claims made by phrenologists in ages past. Phrenology is of course pseudoscience. I wasn't promoting phrenology, rather I was arguing against your point by saying it would fit in with phrenology.

In nearly every post you've addressed to me, you've called me ignorant. What is the reason for that?

Btw, nothing in any article you've linked to supports your claim that there is a separate mental faculty that is responsible for the evolution of continuous human improvement.

I'm well aware of the neuroscience research you've listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 12:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,631,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Btw, nothing in any article you've linked to supports your claim that there is a separate mental faculty that is responsible for the evolution of continuous human improvement.
Btw, I did not claim there IS such a mental faculty with certainty.
In all cases I have qualify my assertions with some provision of doubts.

The point is we can infer [a hypothesis] the mental faculty of continuous improvement within humanity from all human activities since human emerged.
Look at the incremental trends of all the fields of human knowledge that has ever existed.

As with the intellect, one can infer from the above empirical evidences some patterns of steady process of continuous improvement within the human minds.

Since we understand all processes in the brain [senses, emotions, intellect, reasoning, etc.] are supported by specific network of neural circuits, we can deduce that such a process of continuous improvement is also supported by certain specific neural network.

I have provided a link [quick search] on such a possibility, albeit I think the findings are crude at present.
If I do a literature review, I am sure there are many other research findings that will support my point, at least crudely and thus point to the possibility of my hypothesis which can be confirmed in time as neuroscience advance further.

Note what I had asserted is a hypothesis and not a theory.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Btw, I did not claim there IS such a mental faculty with certainty.
In all cases I have qualify my assertions with some provision of doubts.

The point is we can infer [a hypothesis] the mental faculty of continuous improvement within humanity from all human activities since human emerged.
Look at the incremental trends of all the fields of human knowledge that has ever existed.

As with the intellect, one can infer from the above empirical evidences some patterns of steady process of continuous improvement within the human minds.

Since we understand all processes in the brain [senses, emotions, intellect, reasoning, etc.] are supported by specific network of neural circuits, we can deduce that such a process of continuous improvement is also supported by certain specific neural network.

I have provided a link [quick search] on such a possibility, albeit I think the findings are crude at present.
If I do a literature review, I am sure there are many other research findings that will support my point, at least crudely and thus point to the possibility of my hypothesis which can be confirmed in time as neuroscience advance further.

Note what I had asserted is a hypothesis and not a theory.
You asserted your claim, which is widely interpreted to mean that you believe you have knowledge about your claim. What you were really doing is speculating.

I think there are some major holes in your reasoning. The primary hole is that neural circuitry typically correlates with mental functions, i.e. spatial reasoning or moral reasoning. It doesn't typically correlate with abstract objectives such as "continuous improvement within humanity."

Old 02-26-2016, 12:31 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,631,163 times
Quote:
You asserted your claim, which is widely interpreted to mean that you believe you have knowledge about your claim. What you were really doing is speculating.
Yes, I do have certain knowledge via abductive reasoning, and I agree what I have been doing at present is 'speculating' but it is not based on blind speculations, as in the case of theology and its conclusion of the supernatural.
It is a sort of intelligent speculations with accepted principles and available evidences.
Note https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abductive_reasoning.

Quote:
I think there are some major holes in your reasoning. The primary hole is that neural circuitry typically correlates with mental functions, i.e. spatial reasoning or moral reasoning. It doesn't typically correlate with abstract objectives such as "continuous improvement within humanity."
Continuous improvement is also a mental function which is same as reasoning, decision making etc.
The fact is the mental function of continuous improvement do exists and therefore must be support by neural activities and its respective neural circuits- note my logic of it below in 1.

Theoretically it is not difficult to infer the possibility of my hypothesis as follows;

1. Determine what we meant by 'continuous improvements' with reference to all sort of evidence and examples of continuous improvement.
The fact is the process of continuous improvement exists and we can observe it in every aspect of knowledge and human life.
Since all mental human activities [other than autonomic ones outside the brain] are driven from the brain, then this process of continuous improvement must be driven from the brain via certain neural circuits.

2. One theoretical test [not practical] is to snip off various parts of the brain and find out by sophisticate and combination elimination which neural circuits control the process of continuous improvement. This can be done but definitely cannot be done in practice as it is not ethical and many functional brains could be damaged in the process.

The above is the possible determination of the continuous improvement circuit theoretically.

The theoretical possibility thus can lead to the practical possibility via the followings;

1. The normal process of finding which part of the neural circuits is responsible for which part is by studying brain damage cases and their resulting actions or non-actions.

2. I have mentioned the use of MRI imaging. I understand this is crude at present and thus need refinement.

3. I have mentioned the Connectome Project and the optimism of this project supporting the possibility of tracing the circuitry responsible for continuous improvement and wisdom.

The fact is continuous improvements within humans exist.
Thus the drive for continuous improvement [a mental function] in humans exists.
Since this drive is a mental function, it must be driven by neural activities and a circuit of neurons.
The circuit neurons exist in the human brain.

Thus you cannot deny such a neural circuit that support the mental function of continuous improvement do not exists.

The question and problem for us is to find out where it is.
I believe it is a matter of time that humans will find it given the current exponential expansion of knowledge at present and the Connectome Project is advancing.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do have certain knowledge via abductive reasoning, and I agree what I have been doing at present is 'speculating' but it is not based on blind speculations, as in the case of theology and its conclusion of the supernatural.
It is a sort of intelligent speculations with accepted principles and available evidences.
Note https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abductive_reasoning.
I know exactly what abductive reasoning is. I've noticed you have a certain habit of responding to a post of mine by linking to or arguing for something entirely irrelevant. The concept of abductive reasoning doesn't explain how your speculation about a separate human faculty for continuous human improvement is justified. This is like you pointing to the bell curve to justify your claim about 20% of Muslims being evil. The principles of the bell curve don't explain how you reached that conclusion, and abduction doesn't explain how you arrived at this specific conclusion regarding human neuroanatomy.

Quote:
Continuous improvement is also a mental function which is same as reasoning, decision making etc.
The fact is the mental function of continuous improvement do exists and therefore must be support by neural activities and its respective neural circuits- note my logic of it below in 1.

Theoretically it is not difficult to infer the possibility of my hypothesis as follows;

1. Determine what we meant by 'continuous improvements' with reference to all sort of evidence and examples of continuous improvement.
The fact is the process of continuous improvement exists and we can observe it in every aspect of knowledge and human life.
Since all mental human activities [other than autonomic ones outside the brain] are driven from the brain, then this process of continuous improvement must be driven from the brain via certain neural circuits.

2. One theoretical test [not practical] is to snip off various parts of the brain and find out by sophisticate and combination elimination which neural circuits control the process of continuous improvement. This can be done but definitely cannot be done in practice as it is not ethical and many functional brains could be damaged in the process.

The above is the possible determination of the continuous improvement circuit theoretically.

The theoretical possibility thus can lead to the practical possibility via the followings;

1. The normal process of finding which part of the neural circuits is responsible for which part is by studying brain damage cases and their resulting actions or non-actions.

2. I have mentioned the use of MRI imaging. I understand this is crude at present and thus need refinement.

3. I have mentioned the Connectome Project and the optimism of this project supporting the possibility of tracing the circuitry responsible for continuous improvement and wisdom.

The fact is continuous improvements within humans exist.
Thus the drive for continuous improvement [a mental function] in humans exists.
Since this drive is a mental function, it must be driven by neural activities and a circuit of neurons.
The circuit neurons exist in the human brain.

Thus you cannot deny such a neural circuit that support the mental function of continuous improvement do not exists.

The question and problem for us is to find out where it is.
I believe it is a matter of time that humans will find it given the current exponential expansion of knowledge at present and the Connectome Project is advancing.
You are moving the goal posts here. Of course there is some neural explanation for every thought we have. That doesn't mean there is a separate mental faculty that exists for the purpose of attaining that goal. Those are two very different claims.

I have great difficulty deriving understanding from your posts. I think I'm done. I don't know if it is the poor grammar or the convoluted language, but your posts are incredibly dense. You are often either responding to things I didn't say or you are giving responses that don't actually address my concern (like the abduction example above).

Old 03-01-2016, 01:38 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,727,290 times
Quote:
I know exactly what abductive reasoning is. I've noticed you have a certain habit of responding to a post of mine by linking to or arguing for something entirely irrelevant. The concept of abductive reasoning doesn't explain how your speculation about a separate human faculty for continuous human improvement is justified. This is like you pointing to the bell curve to justify your claim about 20% of Muslims being evil. The principles of the bell curve don't explain how you reached that conclusion, and abduction doesn't explain how you arrived at this specific conclusion regarding human neuroanatomy.

You are moving the goal posts here. Of course there is some neural explanation for every thought we have. That doesn't mean there is a separate mental faculty that exists for the purpose of attaining that goal. Those are two very different claims.

I have great difficulty deriving understanding from your posts. I think I'm done. I don't know if it is the poor grammar or the convoluted language, but your posts are incredibly dense. You are often either responding to things I didn't say or you are giving responses that don't actually address my concern (like the abduction example above).
The moving on... WISDOM vs intelligence

Old 03-04-2016, 10:04 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,727,290 times
I posted the op for a reason.

Intelligence can be seen in people's eloquently worded posts.

Wisdom is knowing one's audience and reaching that audience.

Sometimes we have to sound intelligent to 'make a point'. Wordy, lengthy, use of words not in vernacular... In short reinforcement of self...ego.

Wisdom is simply knowing when, and how to respond.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:10 PM

208 posts, read 169,816 times
I think that wisdom is to know how to apply and use your intelligence...

Old 03-06-2016, 07:34 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,684,712 times
I know both dumb and smart people who lack wisdom and common sense. I know a lady who thinks she's smart because she has a masters degree, but she's a dummy because she lacks wisdom and common sense.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 03-06-2016 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy