U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:48 AM

66 posts, read 44,712 times

Advertisements

No. In the immortal words of Mark Twain, lack of money is the root of all evil, and I wholeheartedly agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:38 PM

136 posts, read 110,223 times
The pursuit of excess is the root of all evil. I mean that in the aspect of wealth, necessities, religion, and desires.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:42 PM

3,312 posts, read 1,867,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Perhaps the pursuit of happiness alone, or to an extreme extent could. I don't think the desire to be happy is at all negative though.

I could say the desire to only ever feel happiness is a negative though. I don't think it's truly possible to happy if you are never sad, for example. And to only care for your own happiness, even at the expense of others could be an evil.

I however do not believe a single thing is the root of all evil. I believe that living in extremes leads to levels of evil though. The extreme desire for money is an evil. I can't really think of a reason why the extreme desire for happiness wouldn't follow this rule.

If by extreme desire for money you mean having so much money and still wanting more (in other words greed) then yes but when you are poor and/or you've had money taken from you you will most likely have extreme desire of money or the money that was taken from you and that's not bad.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 AM

1,401 posts, read 839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Do you think the pursuit of happiness could be argued to be a root cause of evil?
No. Pretty much everyone desires happiness in their lives, and many do feel it. Pursuing it, to me, would more adequately define someone who is unhappy. Happiness comes from within, so for anyone who is pursuing it, they are lacking something that allows them to feel joy. Evil doesn't even enter into it.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,023,101 times
The pursuit of happiness by an individual can involve behaviors that are interpreted as evil by others.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:01 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,450,350 times
Hardly. Nothing wrong w/ being happy. The problem is becoming attached to it, or to anything else. Buddha saw that the problem was desire, or craving. I would say that is absolutely correct. His realization was that A-all of life is a sort of suffering (if we don't have something we suffer, and even if we have it, we suffer because we fear losing it because we are attached to it), B-suffering comes from desire or grasping, C-if you eliminate desire you eliminate suffering, D- you eliminate suffering by the usual methods; right speech, right action, right thoughts, etc. It's a formula that has worked for thousands of years. Someone who is not attached to money can be happy w/ it or happy w/o it. Since all things are impermanent, that's a good way to live.

Myself, I could care less about money...it's all that neat stuff it can get you that interests me!

Last edited by smarino; 05-01-2016 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy