U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 02:59 PM

109 posts, read 48,399 times

Advertisements

…..after all ego (Latin: I) is just a viewpoint, a reference term – which might irritate, when overly used - but so does “you know”.
“Egoists, Egocentrics & Egomaniacs” stem probably from the need to project and label something beyond the I – at least it would explain why ego is supposed to be synonymous for self. But what is self? – certainly not I, otherwise psychologists, mystics & gurus couldn’t make so much ado about it.
To me the term self encompasses what I am – including my ignorance about it – which doesn’t bother me, since I am what I do & I do what I am – thus having no problem with my self, and no desire to be someone else, or to go to a monastery to get rid of my self – which in my opinion requires an ego much larger than I can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 04:29 PM

10,460 posts, read 15,450,973 times
Looks like you have answers to your questions then. Glad for you.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:59 AM

13,101 posts, read 4,900,996 times
it takes a mind, body, and spirit look at people. When they are to far out of balance it can cause some trouble.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:07 PM

How about this one:

We can't get rid of a self that only exists as a point of view....all points of view or interpretations are empty of any thing, the self is always a phantom self since it only exists as a thought, or a point of reference, view.. The self arises in reference to where the attention is, be it on some object, sound, bodily sensation, or thought...all of which are empty. So in essence there is nothing actually here, there is only ever emptiness within which emerges a sense of self fullness which is really empty at it's core.

Everything springs from the silence and returns to the silence. The silence is like a constant presence - it doesn't move, go anywhere, or change, we can call this silence.. awareness or attention, There is no difference between the contents of silent awareness and awareness itself,they are each other one and the same thing, both are empty at the core. When we communicate with another person we are literally talking to nothing.

Attached to a point of reference is the belief there is something here, as in something seen, heard, felt, smelt, tasted, which become known experiences, which in turn spawn a knower. But there is no knower apart from the experience. There is nothing here having the experience of bodily sensations, thoughts, sounds, and objects seen, all empty of an experiencer. There is just 'what is' with or without the interpretation of it.

by "dontaskme"

Old 04-01-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waechter418 View Post
How about this one:

We can't get rid of a self that only exists as a point of view....all points of view or interpretations are empty of any thing, the self is always a phantom self since it only exists as a thought, or a point of reference, view.. The self arises in reference to where the attention is, be it on some object, sound, bodily sensation, or thought...all of which are empty. So in essence there is nothing actually here, there is only ever emptiness within which emerges a sense of self fullness which is really empty at it's core.

Everything springs from the silence and returns to the silence. The silence is like a constant presence - it doesn't move, go anywhere, or change, we can call this silence.. awareness or attention, There is no difference between the contents of silent awareness and awareness itself,they are each other one and the same thing, both are empty at the core. When we communicate with another person we are literally talking to nothing.

Attached to a point of reference is the belief there is something here, as in something seen, heard, felt, smelt, tasted, which become known experiences, which in turn spawn a knower. But there is no knower apart from the experience. There is nothing here having the experience of bodily sensations, thoughts, sounds, and objects seen, all empty of an experiencer. There is just 'what is' with or without the interpretation of it.

by "dontaskme"
over all yeah, I do agree to a point. I don't agree there is "nothing", or an empty point of reference totally. Or from "empiness". There is something there. there is a set of fields interacting that is "you". So I bet there would be a real density change and field excitation.

I don't do "from silence back to silence" either. I do conservation laws. We aren't really born because we were not "created". But there is a noise, some just like to call it the "music of life". Your "silent knower" is the universe. We are a data set in a much larger data set being processed. I can't say much past that.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:04 AM

2,368 posts, read 1,492,669 times
Ego and chips, please. And a cup of rosy.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Ego and chips, please. And a cup of rosy.
yup. If we know we ordered the rosy we can understand that there are other choices. Its the ones that only see the "rosy", or only one flavor, that scares me.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 AM

EGO is a closed circuit that consists of 8 Reflection/Projection poles with 2 viewpoints which relate them in a cube-like manner.
When the two viewpoints check each other, a pseudo-self-consciousness comes about that has deceived Homo in all hemispheres & ages and been the cause of most of his troubles. Being a closed circuit the dimension of Ego appears to be a world of its own, but it is a mirror room.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:20 PM

3,732 posts, read 1,455,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
it takes a mind, body, and spirit look at people. When they are to far out of balance it can cause some trouble.
Yes, I have an alcoholic ego, its a deadly thing, its sentient, insane and wants me dead but I stay close to what people call God and we have a deal, I follow His will, He keeps me safe from me.

For people with normal right sized ego's its not a problem.

But I've been to many funerals where ego took over the soul and snuffed out the light.
Whenever anyone presumes ego cannot ever be trouble they are venturing over deep water.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:32 PM

3,732 posts, read 1,455,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waechter418 View Post
…..after all ego (Latin: I) is just a viewpoint, a reference term – which might irritate, when overly used - but so does “you know”.
“Egoists, Egocentrics & Egomaniacs” stem probably from the need to project and label something beyond the I – at least it would explain why ego is supposed to be synonymous for self. But what is self? – certainly not I, otherwise psychologists, mystics & gurus couldn’t make so much ado about it.
To me the term self encompasses what I am – including my ignorance about it – which doesn’t bother me, since I am what I do & I do what I am – thus having no problem with my self, and no desire to be someone else, or to go to a monastery to get rid of my self – which in my opinion requires an ego much larger than I can afford.
Do the research, monasteries have never been successful at ridding the ego AFTER it has taken hold.
Were it so, they would have arrived at an answer for addiction long ago. They never did.

AA was the most successful at this with their spiritual approach, many religions and institutions have tried to adapt it to their dogma but as soon as they do it ceases to work.
The catholic church tried and failed miserably, the salvation army has been trying since the late 1930;s and it still doesn't work. They just don't get it.
The problem is their motives, they are trying to get power, they are trying to wield God.
AA merely guides people to the Power.

As for ridding the self, thats what military boot camp does exceptionally well, recruits are stripped of the individual identity, then built back up as unselfish soldiers. They make men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy