U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2016, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,601 posts, read 14,102,850 times
Reputation: 15747

Advertisements

Would a greater thinking thing give a damn that man was here?

I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2016, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,065 posts, read 1,442,046 times
Reputation: 1408
The end of humanity would be a great loss, especially if we die off before we answer the question "Are we alone?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Missouri, USA
4,215 posts, read 2,931,844 times
Reputation: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I used to be worried about it

With "space is something" and "gravity waves" traveling through it I am less worried. In this region of space we really can't call one area non lif and another area life on a fundemental level.

Plus, I predict we will make the next form in less than 200 years, we did our job. We made good little protiens and will do what protiens do. Make life.
I tend to agree...although I'm less confident about that time frame.

People ensure their legacy through all sorts of ways, not just offspring. If an architect can be content to do it through the creation of a building she or he worked particularly hard on...surely, many people would be content with the creation of new life, even if it were nonhuman.

I could definitely see humanity concocting either self-aware machines or extensively genetically modified human beings in the future. What I hope though, is that their creation is treated more like a fine art of a professional who loves their trade than an experiment. This creation would be far more important than an architect's building, or a book, or a new world record. I'd prefer if we're strong enough to wait centuries, until we're skilled enough to make such organisms as experts.

I have no doubt cybernetic enhancements will be on the rise very shortly though. I don't know if we'll ever get around to creating a new species before blowing ourselves up or something...but we'd probably seem to behave like members of a different species to people who lived centuries ago, and pretty soon many of us could look different too...through little mechanical augmentations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,488 posts, read 16,653,401 times
Reputation: 26060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is pointless question as it is stemming from complete lack of understanding of what a human being is, why it is on Earth and what is its purpose.
That said, humanity can only go through high and low tides in its numbers and levels of development, but it can not be completely devastated as it serves the higher purpose to the universe.
Really! What "higher purpose to the universe" does humanity serve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 09:58 PM
 
32 posts, read 28,845 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Really! What "higher purpose to the universe" does humanity serve?
None, and that's exactly why the question is pointless.

Value, itself, is a human concept. One could say that the absolute answer to the title question is "Yes", because the entire notion of value and the sole arbiters of it would be gone. The only value that exists is that which derives from the human mind (as far as we know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2016, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Canada
1,398 posts, read 833,583 times
Reputation: 4402
The world would go on, and in a more natural state, as was originally intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2016, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,589 posts, read 3,585,239 times
Reputation: 16373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steanescarlett View Post
If anything from an asteroid to a disease to nuclear bombs were to wipe out every human on the planet would it honestly be that much of a loss? Sure there are good people, but the bad ones greatly out number the good ones not to mention all the destruction we do to our environment, animals etc. So if every human were to suddenly die do you think anything of real value would be lost?

I would think that the odds are pretty good that, if something happened to cause sudden human extinction, it would also cause massive devastation to the environment and to animal populations. Would you consider those things to have value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2016, 04:59 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 4,263,490 times
Reputation: 2562
A loss to who? If no one is around to notice the loss then how can it be a loss? Also, eventually the sun will swallow up the earth and explode and earth will cease to exist. So what's the point anyways!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2016, 05:11 PM
 
12,874 posts, read 4,852,291 times
Reputation: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I tend to agree...although I'm less confident about that time frame.

People ensure their legacy through all sorts of ways, not just offspring. If an architect can be content to do it through the creation of a building she or he worked particularly hard on...surely, many people would be content with the creation of new life, even if it were nonhuman.

I could definitely see humanity concocting either self-aware machines or extensively genetically modified human beings in the future. What I hope though, is that their creation is treated more like a fine art of a professional who loves their trade than an experiment. This creation would be far more important than an architect's building, or a book, or a new world record. I'd prefer if we're strong enough to wait centuries, until we're skilled enough to make such organisms as experts.

I have no doubt cybernetic enhancements will be on the rise very shortly though. I don't know if we'll ever get around to creating a new species before blowing ourselves up or something...but we'd probably seem to behave like members of a different species to people who lived centuries ago, and pretty soon many of us could look different too...through little mechanical augmentations.
oh yeah, this is all true. Transitions are always, well, awkward. Since I don't know what will happen I choose the least bad thing that can happen. thats just bold face blind faith of me. They just won't care that much. They will give us what we need to survive, maybe a few of them will stay. The rest will just leave. They won't even have to go far. I think each rung gets shorter in distance with increase complexity too. They may make the next universe, they will make it "alive" just as this one is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2016, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Southwest
1,558 posts, read 1,044,301 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would think that the odds are pretty good that, if something happened to cause sudden human extinction, it would also cause massive devastation to the environment and to animal populations. Would you consider those things to have value?
Possibly. Wildlife has been thriving near Chernobyl, albeit there has been mutations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top