U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:56 PM

297 posts, read 207,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScientiaOmnisEst View Post
OP, you say that romantic love is platonic love + sexual desire. Then, you go on to bash it as nothing but superficial, animalistic instinct, describing only the most superficial sexual "love". You're contradicting yourself via omission.

I have also said that sexual desire is fickle and inevitably fades (when one's mate ages). Sexual desire then becomes gone, and the romantic love becomes only platonic love. Gosh how many times do i have to repeat this?
It's very simple logic
And no, i will not stop being friends with my friends if they gained weight, or even became obese or lost a limb (or two), or lost their job, grew 10000 wrinkles, go bankrupt. But this could very easily mean divorce/breakup for a romantic relationship. So long as my platonic friends have good hygiene and good character, i will be their friends. A man cannot pop boners to an old lady whose fertile years are long gone. A woman cannot become attracted to a man who has just declared bankruptcy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 06:37 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,294,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
. A man cannot pop boners to an old lady whose fertile years are long gone. A woman cannot become attracted to a man who has just declared bankruptcy

"Six out of every ten women and seven out of every ten men over 70 are highly satisfied with their sex lives. And, sexual activity among 70-year-olds has increased from 12% to 34% for women and from 47% to 66% for men" (Senior citizens increasingly satisfied with sex lives and more active)

and

"More than 7 million married adults [who probably experience sexual attraction to each other at some point] under age 65 in the US have incomes below the federal poverty line."
(http://cepr.net/documents/publicatio...ns-2012-11.pdf)

There is no doubt that some sexual attraction is based purely on physical attributes and social standing for some people. However, there are millions of examples of anecdotal evidence walking around out in the real world that belie this "logic."

Old 05-16-2016, 08:51 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,035,316 times
Quote:
I have also said that sexual desire is fickle and inevitably fades (when one's mate ages). Sexual desire then becomes gone, and the romantic love becomes only platonic love. Gosh how many times do i have to repeat this?
It's very simple logic
And no, i will not stop being friends with my friends if they gained weight, or even became obese or lost a limb (or two), or lost their job, grew 10000 wrinkles, go bankrupt. But this could very easily mean divorce/breakup for a romantic relationship. So long as my platonic friends have good hygiene and good character, i will be their friends. A man cannot pop boners to an old lady whose fertile years are long gone. A woman cannot become attracted to a man who has just declared bankruptcy
You are simply wrong.

The Villages in Florida.

There are MANY married couples in which one partner is obese, one has lost a limb or is paralyzed, who have suffered unemployment, who grow old together (happily), etc.

I will tell you my in laws have been married over 50 years...they are VERY happy and still very much in love...also very "busy". Over the years, they have weathered job loss, bankruptcy, cancer, the death of one of their children. Both are extremely wrinkled (heck, they are in their 80s!!). Did I mention they still "get busy"?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:23 AM

54 posts, read 119,195 times
I believe that the idea of romantic love evolved in the Middle Ages, as a way to civilize the sex drive of men, i.e., to get them to maybe stay around and take some responsibility for their offspring. Also, I believe that Christianity played a role (although there was a similar trend in non-Christian societies).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:06 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,664,443 times
Quote:
What do you think of what i have just wrote?
I think you should either eliminate the helping verb "have" or adopt the correct form of the past participle, which is "written". In the latter case, your sentence would (correctly) read: "What do you think of what I have just written?"

As for the rest, you are suggesting that we should ignore a deep-seated biological drive. Your reason seems to be that the love/physical attraction is a passing thing and you even used the word "always" in a subsequent post in that connection.

Our species is already beset by so many problems and dysfunctionalities. I have to wonder how much worse it would be if large numbers of people were attempting to set aside basic drives. What percentage of humanity would be able to sublimate successfully the energy of those unfulfilled desires? The Catholic Church has experienced a lot of difficulty arising from the unnatural suppression of basic human drives among its priests. In other words, those drives are not so easy to suppress.

Do I detect the odor of sour grapes here?

Old 05-17-2016, 04:02 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,927,031 times
I think your heart's been broken. We've all been there, you'll feel better eventually.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:05 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,802,637 times
Well, all I can say is that I'm no spring chicken, and I certainly don't look anything like I did when I was twenty, yet I still have a very satisfying sexual relationship with my husband, who doesn't look anything like he did at twenty either. So, yes, looks fade, but the attraction doesn't have to.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:56 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,484,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
What I think about what you wrote is that you don't know what you're talking about. You use the word we as if you have been appointed to speak for many, when you are simply writing about your opinion and no one elses. You make statements as if they are set in stone when they are not.

You write as if you are an expert on the subject and you are not. You don't have the credentials to be an expert. You sound like an immature person who knows very little about life and living.
That is abundantly clear!

Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by localtraveler View Post
I believe that the idea of romantic love evolved in the Middle Ages, as a way to civilize the sex drive of men, i.e., to get them to maybe stay around and take some responsibility for their offspring. Also, I believe that Christianity played a role (although there was a similar trend in non-Christian societies).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
i have never heard of this, but it is quite possible that this has merit. I was more addressing the mere biological aspect of it. Romantic love does exist, but it is, like i have said, not really " love", since it is always selfish, fleeting, and superficial.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That is abundantly clear!
yup go return to your chick flicks, pitt chick.
They were made for the likes of you and Rubi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or