U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 03:15 AM

11,037 posts, read 4,836,692 times

Advertisements

Krauss does a much better job than Sam Harris.

Lawrence Krauss on Science and Morality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_y6L0cplLk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 01:37 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,589,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Continuum,

My conclusions after all of these pages are that your views are very outdated. You also seem to have some deep confusions about philosophy and how you define it personally.
Note my original background to philosophy is from Eastern and general philosophy. It was later that I mastered Western Philosophy.
On the other hand your understanding of philosophy is very narrow and confined to Western Philosophy.

If you are that familiar with 'philosophy' even with Western Philosophy you will note there is no precise definition of what is philosophy.

My definition of what is philosophy is based on very deep and extensive reflection on what is going on in reality.
I cannot see how you could dispute such an impulse of continuing improvement and evolution within humanity and 'philosophy' is that set of mental activities that are package to describe this fundamental activity of humans.

Btw, your going about to explain the position of Science is actually philosophy of some kind, albeit a crude one as you are not that competent in it.
Otherwise are you saying you are using Science to justify why Science is great or the greatest.

Quote:
The biggest thing I have noticed is that you lack a fundamental understanding science and all the knowledge that it entails and has given to us.
There is nothing mysterious about Science. Are you insisting there is something so mysterious that I and many cannot understand what is Science.

Quote:
You have much difficulty with the branches of science. And to say that medicine is 10% science...it truly shocking. Medicine is an applied science. I work in the medical profession from a biotech angle in genetics. It's deeply scientific.
The primary purpose of medicine is to cure diseases and other ailments of human beings. Science is critical in medicine but it is merely a tool within medicine. There are a lot of elements in the Medical Framework that will contribute to curing a patient. At times placebo are used and that is not scientific. There are other human elements, e.g. EQ, 'bedside manners' and wisdom that are critical in assisting in curing a patient.

The essence of Medicine as a cure of human ailments started long long ago and Science as tool in medicine is a very new thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Prehistoric medicine incorporated plants (herbalism), animal parts, and minerals. In many cases these materials were used ritually as magical substances by priests, shamans, or medicine men. Well-known spiritual systems include animism (the notion of inanimate objects having spirits), spiritualism (an appeal to gods or communion with ancestor spirits); shamanism (the vesting of an individual with mystic powers); and divination (magically obtaining the truth). The field of medical anthropology examines the ways in which culture and society are organized around or impacted by issues of health, health care and related issues.
Quote:
Before you come back with term confusion. Applied science is a discipline of science that applies existing scientific knowledge to develop more practical applications, like technology or inventions..
Applied Science as with Social Science is not Science per-se.
These days there are Science of 'X' where X can be anything one can image but that is not Science per se, Home Science, Toilet Science, etc.
http://www.professortoilet.com/2009/...oilet-science/

Quote:
Lastly your dogmatization of philosophy is off the charts and is comparable to what I find in the religious forum.
Which religious forum?
Your dogmatization of Science is more to Scientism which is equivalent to fundamentalism.
I don't idolize philosophy and as with Buddhist principles I am very mindful of attachment [which brings about sufferings] to anything, thus not philosophy.
The fact is philosophy as I defined it, is its essence and the truth and its place within human reality is very obvious. What I am expressing is merely the truth and nothing else.

Last edited by Continuum; 06-14-2016 at 01:48 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 02:08 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,589,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Krauss does a much better job than Sam Harris.

Lawrence Krauss on Science and Morality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_y6L0cplLk
I don't agree with Krauss' point, i.e.
"Morality is impossible without Science" and they way he went about it.
Krauss may be countering theistic morality which always claim itself as the only source of morality and ethics.

From my philosophical perspective there is a big difference between 'Morality' and 'Ethics'.

Morality, the setting of ideal human standards is not impossible without Science.

Ethics is applied Morality.
I agree we cannot [or impossible to] improve on ethics significantly from the present status without Science at some point in its applications. As such Science will play a very critical role in Ethics.
However once the average humanity has reached a certain stage of the learning curve Ethics [applied Morality] may not be need to rely on Science that much as with the initial phased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy