Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:06 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post

One advantage of choosing people based on ideal genetics is that it's about as fair as we can get. If we want public support for the project (by which I mean people not climbing over each other/sabotaging the ship) we want the choice of who goes to be fair. We might also try to get people of as many different cultures and nationalities chosen as possible for genetic diversity, and so the project-doers are not accused of genocide or something.

Have you watched the TV when places like New Orleans has a hurricane? People riot & break into stores, and what do they grab? Not food but things like TV's.

Fair? I don't think so, people want to survive & most will do whatever it takes to survive. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 07:31 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Have you watched the TV when places like New Orleans has a hurricane? People riot & break into stores, and what do they grab? Not food but things like TV's.

Fair? I don't think so, people want to survive & most will do whatever it takes to survive. Period.
We have 75 years though. I figure total hell won't break loose until a few years before the star comes. If we could get the ship done far enough in advance and leave...that may not even be that much of a problem. Sociologists and economists would be better than me at determining by what time the ship should be finished, or mostly finished, before all hell breaks loose. Heck, anyone smart probably wouldn't have children the moment they hear that a neutron star is coming in 75 years unless they know their descendants will already get on the ship. If all goes well, there won't be many people left on Earth by the time the star gets here anyway. They'll have passed away from old age. That's assuming we tell society about the approaching neutron star though. Another contributor mentioned that telling people about it could be a bad idea that would result in too much anarchy, and they may be right.

Last edited by Clintone; 05-25-2016 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 08:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
the gov't should conduct a drill to test our ability to act sociable during an impending doomsday event like a giant asteroid hitting earth by announcing that a giant asteroid is heading for us. We can then see what our issues will be and then after they announce it was just a test then we can go about fixing the areas that need to be addressed such as sweeping up the glass and replacing all the broken windows.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:01 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
What makes humanity worth saving?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:46 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What makes humanity worth saving?
The fact that some people would want it to be continued.

You could also look it like, between all the work it would take to do this and human life being overrated, it wouldn't be worth it.

You could also look at it like the escapees stand a chance of beginning a society that was greater in all ways than their ancestors ever had.

I don't think us being a danger to the rest of the universe would be much of a problem...assuming FTL travel is impossible. We probably wouldn't find sentient aliens for thousands of years, and who knows what we could be like by then. Therefore, it's just whether or not humans would be benefited by their species' survival that's the important question to consider, in my opinion. We might not ever get anywhere near alien multicellular organisms either.

Last edited by Clintone; 05-26-2016 at 01:55 PM..

Old 05-27-2016, 03:43 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I don't think a ship would work, you would need to build a spacecraft with enough thrust to escape the gravitational pull of the earth.
You ever see those big Evinrude outboard motors? Them things haul a$$, bruddah. Get that ship out on a long stretch of water with a steep uphill slope at the end of it, and they just might be able to pull it off.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
A neutron star is heading to Earth and will wipe out humanity? and we are supposed to build a ship to evacuate a few survivors? I doubt there will be any one left alive by the time the ship is ready for its voyage to who knows where.Who will decide who goes on this ship.
What if to avoid putting the Earths population at risk of total chaos in its last remaining years no one tells the population that the Earth is about to end,they'll find out the day before it happens.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:21 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I don't think a ship would work, you would need to build a spacecraft with enough thrust to escape the gravitational pull of the earth.
Er ... we've already done that.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:32 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
We have no idea how to build a ship of any size that would achieve even a significant percentage of light speed* much less faster than light, so it would have to be multi-generational. And to get well out of the solar system it would have to leave a lot sooner than 75 years so it would also have to be so small that it would hardly be worth bothering.

But assuming for the sake of argument we had the technology and a decent chance of success ... I would support it if at least 1000 people were willing to go ... and they would be. In fact I think the governments of the world would practically dismantle themselves to build ship after ship. Self preservation is a strong instinct.

* Well photonic propulsion is already being developed on about a 20 year time frame to push small objects to 20 to 40% of light speed but there's no practical way to slow them down at the other end of the journey. The tech is too immature for a crash project. It is being developed for exploration of nearby star systems with miniaturized robotic probes. A child born today will probably know how many planets orbit Proxima Centauri and have high res pictures of them, by the time it is 50 years old.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Even if humanity could build a ship that could achieve something approaching light speed it would probably take a generation to accelerate to such speed and an equal amount of time to decelerate to your destination which is where? ,
IMO a population knowing it was going to die would go mad chaos would reign the species would die long before this neutron star arrived. About the only option i can think of is something like a small human seed ship that would preserve the seeds of Earth for a distant future, something along the lines of this concept=
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embryo_space_colonization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy