U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 08:10 PM

5,559 posts, read 3,665,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I have watched the video. It explains a grand total of zero reasons why Gene Theory is incorrect.
It's like all jokes. Some genes just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:22 PM

4,284 posts, read 2,954,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
It's like all jokes. Some genes just don't get it.
I don't understand this comment either.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I don't understand this comment either.
What doesn't understand? Your genes? Sorry your Genes didn't have as big a laugh as my Genes. My Genes loved it.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
What doesn't understand? Your genes? Sorry your Genes didn't have as big a laugh as my Genes. My Genes loved it.
Genes don't have their own feelings. If your genes loved it...you have some weird genes. You should probably see a doctor about that, because that isn't supposed to happen.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Genes don't have their own feelings. If your genes loved it...you have some weird genes. You should probably see a doctor about that, because that isn't supposed to happen.
Feelings? Sounds like you are appealing to something non-material and supernatural.

I'm sorry your Genes determined that you didn't get it. They're just still growing up. Maybe in time. Or maybe there is something else in you that doesn't get it? We are now officially on the materialist hunt for what doesn't get it. It must be the Genes!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Feelings? Sounds like you are appealing to something non-material and supernatural.
possibly...but I don't know what that has to do with Gene Theory being incorrect or flawed.

Quote:
I'm sorry your Genes determined that you didn't get it. They're just still growing up. Maybe in time. Or maybe there is something else in you that doesn't get it? We are now officially on the materialist hunt for what doesn't get it. It must be the Genes!
In addition to genetics being responsible for me not getting it, I also may have lacked sufficient education to get it, or I may have been distracted by something in my environment, or other environmental factors might be responsible. Maybe you're even being unclear. Perhaps there is a chance you do not understand what Gene Theory is too. Maybe I had a brain injury that's not related to my genes at all, but instead was caused by someone smacking me in the head with a shovel, and that's why I don't understand. Maybe I have a yapping dog and the shrill sound is keeping me from paying enough attention to this to understand. There are all sorts of potential reasons not entirely caused by genetics.

Last edited by Clintone; 05-31-2016 at 09:32 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Possibly...but before I believe that, the first step I'd need to take would be to define non-material.
Fine.

Quote:
What would you say it is that doesn't get it instead?
Me? Intelligence. I'm quite comfortable with non-material Intelligence.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
possibly...but I don't know what that has to do with Gene Theory being incorrect or flawed.

In addition to genetics being responsible for me not getting it, I also may have lacked sufficient education to get it, or I may have been distracted by something in my environment, or I maybe you're even being unclear. Perhaps there is a chance you do not understand what Gene Theory is too.
"I"?? More immaterial? There is no "I" in gene theory.

Perhaps your genes determined that you should write the above statement. It's all in the genes. Everything. They are little humans.

Watch the video and you'll understand gene theory as you are laughing, if your genes predisposed you to laughing as I did.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:32 AM

Quote:
"I"?? More immaterial? There is no "I" in gene theory.

Perhaps your genes determined that you should write the above statement. It's all in the genes. Everything. They are little humans.

Watch the video and you'll understand gene theory as you are laughing, if your genes predisposed you to laughing as I did.
Basically, Gene Theory says the following, so far as I understand:

Definition: The Gene Theory is one of the basic principles of biology. The main concept of this theory is that traits are passed from parents to offspring through gene transmission. Genes are located on chromosomes and consist of DNA. They are passed from parent to offspring through reproduction.
Gene Theory - Basic Principle in Biology

#1. I've watched the video multiple times. I think Cleese was either making fun of people like you, or he was making some argument that requires more education than I have to understand based pretty much only on one mentioning of quantum physics, or quantum randomness, or quantum something. Either way though, if he was making an argument against gene theory, it was not an argument that required only common sense or that simple short video to understand.

#2. If genes did determine everything about us, that would not make them little humans any more than computer code determining what computers do would make them little computers. You're the one who's personifying them, not people who believe Gene Theory is accurate.

#3. Nobody thinks genes determine everything about us. We're also trained and modified through our environment. If I get smacked in the head enough times, or I learn a particular trade, or I exercise much, that could be an example of how I could be changed through external influences rather than through my genetics. Now, my genetics would determine much of what I am though. It would be very influential in how quickly I can learn the new trade, what I look like before the environment changes my appearance through scars or tanning, and many other things.

#4. If genetics (as well as environmental influences) are not responsible for how we develop our feelings, appearance, and opinions, what would you say is the alternative?

#5. I don't expect to get anywhere in this conversation...but I'm amused by your ranting incoherence. I picture you as a silly leprechaun who dances and sings and recites riddles, or maybe the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland. You remind me of the Cheshire cat, and he's one of my favorite story characters, so please continue

Old 06-01-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Basically, Gene Theory says the following, so far as I understand:

Definition: The Gene Theory is one of the basic principles of biology. The main concept of this theory is that traits are passed from parents to offspring through gene transmission. Genes are located on chromosomes and consist of DNA. They are passed from parent to offspring through reproduction.
Gene Theory - Basic Principle in Biology

#1. I've watched the video multiple times. I think Cleese was either making fun of people like you, or he was making some argument that requires more education than I have to understand based pretty much only on one mentioning of quantum physics, or quantum randomness, or quantum something. Either way though, if he was making an argument against gene theory, it was not an argument that required only common sense or that simple short video to understand.

#2. If genes did determine everything about us, that would not make them little humans any more than computer code determining what computers do would make them little computers. You're the one who's personifying them, not people who believe Gene Theory is accurate.

#3. Nobody thinks genes determine everything about us. We're also trained and modified through our environment. If I get smacked in the head enough times, or I learn a particular trade, or I exercise much, that could be an example of how I could be changed through external influences rather than through my genetics. Now, my genetics would determine much of what I am though. It would be very influential in how quickly I can learn the new trade, what I look like before the environment changes my appearance through scars or tanning, and many other things.

#4. If genetics (as well as environmental influences) are not responsible for how we develop our feelings, appearance, and opinions, what would you say is the alternative?

#5. I don't expect to get anywhere in this conversation...but I'm amused by your ranting incoherence. I picture you as a silly leprechaun who dances and sings and recites riddles, or maybe the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland. You remind me of the Cheshire cat, and he's one of my favorite story characters, so please continue
I don't know what the "We" and "I" and ask the other noun and pronouns are, that you are using so liberally in your sentences, according to gene theory. You keep throwing in those terms mixing and matching materialism with non-materialism. First go ahead and define for yourself precisely all of these terms within gene theory and then go ahead and use them. Who are you?? No sleight of hand allowed here like "selfish genes" or "personality genes", etc. Science is great at anthropomorphically applying human characteristics to genes in order to hide the giant holes in their theory and you are doing the exact same thing as Cleese is demonstrating.

No sleight of hand tricks are allowed such as I, We, Feelings etc. Use the theory to explain everything without resorting to non-materialism. Can't b be done. You know why? Because of the "I" that is creating all of these ideas. You either accept the non-material "I" or you stuff it in Gene. "It's very simple but your genes have been programmed so the gene can't see it.

Last edited by richrf; 06-01-2016 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy