U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:55 AM

93 posts, read 63,667 times

Advertisements

Considering man has shown time and time again its inability to do what is right, or make the right decisions how would you feel if purely hypothetically a super advanced benevolent Alien race came to Earth with the power to end all life on Earth effortlessly but came to take stewardship of it in a sense by saying "We could destroy you all with little problem but we want peace and anyone who engages in any hostility would be summarily destroyed" how would you feel? Do you think it would be worth it even considering we would have Alien overlords? Like say they hovered a mothership over all, and any country trying to go to war would be instantly vaporized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 08:24 AM

21,268 posts, read 21,765,152 times
I would advocate that we use the nuclear weapon version of pushing the aliens over the back of someone who snuck up behind them... ha ha, burn on them. We'll have world peace when we're gd good and ready for it and not be pressured into it by a race of over-sized-headed, mutant busy-bodies.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:04 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,083,823 times
It would kinda depend on what their definition of peace is?

So if I was never able to get upset or honk my horn? If you're just talking about War or killing then that's a bit different.

I think you'd start to see other ways (which countries do now) economically or monetarily that would hurt other countries.

Those with the most ships or armies could occupy lands, but not fight?

There are a lot of parameters that could seemingly be bent.

So those trying to defend themselves would be killed too?

Earth would be vaporized in like .5 seconds.

How would I feel? No different than I do now. Other people (and aliens) are going to do what they're going to do.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:21 PM

3,851 posts, read 1,645,772 times
Default The question isn't quite right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
Considering man has shown time and time again its inability to do what is right, or make the right decisions how would you feel if purely hypothetically a super advanced benevolent Alien race came to Earth with the power to end all life on Earth effortlessly but came to take stewardship of it in a sense by saying "We could destroy you all with little problem but we want peace and anyone who engages in any hostility would be summarily destroyed" how would you feel? Do you think it would be worth it even considering we would have Alien overlords? Like say they hovered a mothership over all, and any country trying to go to war would be instantly vaporized.

I don't concede the opening assumption. We haven't had a global war since WWII in 1945. The peace has been fairly ragged, & we've had regional combat - the end of the Chinese civil war, Korean Conflict, the various wars in Vietnam, & Iraq, Afghanistan, & high levels of political violence in Syria, Egypt, Lebanon, etc., with terrorist outbreaks in Europe & elsewhere. As opposed to mass warfare between highly industrialized countries, the casualties have been relatively low.

Well, which is it? Are the aliens super advanced benevolent or are they willing to kill in the name of their peacefulness? The interesting question there - if the aliens can cross space & maybe time, clearly they have a superior technology (to ours). Why would they be concerned about whether we blew ourselves up or not? The universe seems to be a big place, @ our current level of tech, we can't even truly destroy the World - we can make Earth difficult to inhabit for people for a few generations, & if we get really creative with mutating or GMO truly vicious viruses or bacteria, we might we able to make a real dent in the primate population in the World.

In the real World - if aliens are floating around in the universe - & it's been a long time, we've had radio transmitters going since the 1900s - Where are the aliens - benevolent or otherwise? If they truly wanted to make themselves known to us, all they have to do it land a UFO @ the UN, or in Central Park in NYC, or any of a dozen other high-saturation media venues.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:37 PM

10,452 posts, read 15,438,866 times
I'd recommend to read 1984. Every atrocity ever committed was always "for the best of the children". Same principle in your premise, OP.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:46 PM

12,573 posts, read 13,984,589 times
Quote:
.... how would you feel? Do you think it would be worth it even considering we would have Alien overlords? Like say they hovered a mothership over all, and any country trying to go to war would be instantly vaporized.
Nothing would improve in day to day life unless they abolished FB and Twitter. That would massively advance peace in one step.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,360,307 times
Quote:
I'd have to say "klaatu barada nikto."*

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_barada_nikto

Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 PM

1,060 posts, read 808,562 times
Are the aliens the ones dictating who does what and where for peace or do they assign one human to oversee the whole planet as how it's supposed to be run?

Would that person have the ability to single out certain factors for elimination to 'encourage' others to fall in line?

Old 05-26-2016, 02:20 PM

4,269 posts, read 2,946,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I would advocate that we use the nuclear weapon version of pushing the aliens over the back of someone who snuck up behind them... ha ha, burn on them. We'll have world peace when we're gd good and ready for it and not be pressured into it by a race of over-sized-headed, mutant busy-bodies.
I like your spirit, and would agree with it wholeheartedly...if not for the fact that I strongly suspect anything with the capability to make the journey between stars would be able to make us insta-dead with the flick of a switch.

I think I'll stay behind and grovel to my alien masters...or maybe grovel to them like a good little human and plant hydrogen bombs in their mother ship when they're not paying attention. It would depend on what chances we get.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:01 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,587,988 times
I would sneak an Ozzy Osbourne Greatest Hits compilation aboard the mother ship and figure out how to play it over their public address system. Then sit back and watch it crash into the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or