Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 01:25 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
We are heading out in the morning. I can't wait!

When Americans don't want to face reality or talk about the issues that are killing us then nothing will improve.

Scroll to the bottom of this link and tell me again how great America is and how we are going to pull out of this mess? It's not going to happen when we are in 39th place in STEM and the rest of the world is passing us by. Mexico ranks 8th place in STEM and we are way down at the bottom.

Don't you find it odd that the media NEVER mentions these things? Do you wonder why Americans don't demand that the media cover important facts such as the US is 39th out of 41 countries in STEM? This is been a long 20 year decline and now Mexico ranks 8th? Wonder why this is never mentioned in the media? Is it because Americans are so dumbed down they just ignorantly accept the garbage that our media focuses on vs. demanding to know what is really important? Or focusing on what issues are plaguing the Nation and how can we work to resolve them? Man O Man we are in trouble.

The US keeps dropping in STEM...we rank 39th place out of 41 Countries in STEM
I'm stem a guy have been for 25 yrs now, I'm in an engineering environment. I understand your concern. I've been in involved in the hiring process, I'm a mentor for lots and lots of young people, I get your frustration it's not lost on me. I'm in positions of authority at work and have to deal with people on professional and personal levels,i get it. The lack of quality technical staff isn't lost on me. Lol trust me here. I choose to have a more positive outlook because I know that we have the potential. I see it in the young men that I've mentored for the last 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 07:39 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Would you live your life all over again. The same way and without being aware of living it again???
Yes. My childhood was terrible. The people who raised me were Depression Era kids, and their whole point in existence was to acquire material gain at any cost - even if it meant sacrificing their children and grandkids to do it.

In hindsight, I can look at all that as laying the pavement for the path my life took.

I met someone at a young age who changed all that for me. I guess I helped change it too, ultimately, but I give all credit to him.

He was very lucid on the last day of his life, and seemed to be questioning whether he had been good to me or not.

As I told him, "I would do it all again a thousand times." It wasn't just lip service - I really would.

I guess just like there is no good without evil. Maybe there is no recognizable happiness without experiencing pain.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 06-18-2016 at 07:47 AM..

Old 06-18-2016, 08:23 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Would you live your life all over again. The same way and without being aware of living it again???
No.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:25 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Absolutely.

My two children turned out wonderful. That was in my wife's and my control. That's success regardless of any "failures" that surround it.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:45 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
It's a Wonderful Life

Old 06-18-2016, 12:02 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
No. Too much effect from life-long depression. In personal life, nothing much to lose. Squandering the advantages of birth in Caucasian America and unable to overcome bad biochemistry/early experiences.
I'm 63 and don't have a lot of hope for any real changes in the future, even as I plan the rest of my life.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:09 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Yikes no. I would not want to come back and do it all again. Once was enough for me. I have a good life but it is still filled with a lot of stress along with the happiness.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:16 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,905 times
Who says you aren't already living your life over now?

Old 06-18-2016, 06:28 PM

658 posts, read 847,663 times
No way.
The only way I'd live this life over again is if I could go back and have the wisdom and intelligence that I have now.
I would also, if given the choice, have a better family structure, but that would mean I wouldn't be here on this earth if I had a different family, sooooo....

Old 06-18-2016, 06:46 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
No wonder Musk wants to colonize Mars. Earth existence is toxic, thanks to most humans.
The problem, of course, is that wherever you go, there you are. And wherever humanity goes ... there we are. We will take our toxicity with us to the stars. The only positive is that going into space will put human life into better perspective and communities that have to rely on each other for survival tend to get along better. And fresh starts are always good.

But once space travel becomes no more consequential than air travel ... we will be back to our old shenanigans, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy