Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:58 AM

90 posts, read 125,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
q
What is "q" , what do you mean?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
OP, you are beyond hope.

Maybe counselling will help bat that's coming from someone who's never had it. I'm not a doctor but I think you are severely depressed. I do not think I have come across anyone as obsessed about this as you. This is not normal. You and everyone else will die. Get over it.

You won't listen to anyone and keep going on and on and on about the same thing. This thread should end. You seem to be getting worse and I further question why you started this topic in the first place. You like feeling more depressed? It seems so and I find that odd.
I wanted by sharing my fears that someone will help me with my fear and anxiety and will try to assuage my fear and anxiety.
It scares me so much that forever I will not be able to think or percieve anything, or be conciouss of anything forever.
It scares me so much, I have no appetite.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 AM

What scares me about death is that it's eternal, with no end.
That's what frightens me the about death.
That it never ends. Never.
It's so scary when I think about it.

Please can someone help me by explaining why I shouldn't fear the eternalness of death.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:58 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,425 times
You can spend this very short time we have to do something positive, or you can spend it worrying about something that's inevitable.

You can fear eternal death all you want, how does it help?

I watched the Tom Hanks movie "Bridge of Spies", where he defends the accused Russian spy. The spy is so calm and non-chalant.

Tom Hanks is perplexed, and asks him "they want to hang you for spying, aren't you worried"? The spy responds "will it help?"

When it's time to exchange the spy for the Air Force pilot, Tom Hanks asks "aren't you worried Russia will execute you for thinking you told us all your secrets?" The spy replies "will it help?" It turns out later the spy was settled down in Russia happily and lived a good life. None of the worrying would have helped him at all, and he was mentally healthier not worrying about things outside of his control.

Live life, enjoy life. Life is what you focus on. Focus on what's not helpful, you waste your precious time on this planet.

I prefer to use my brain to think about positive, pleasant and fun things. That way my time on this planet will have been enjoyed to the max. Everything ends. How you enjoyed that time is most important.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:34 AM

555 posts, read 617,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpix1212 View Post
It gives me a panic attack when I think about death and that I will not exist for eternity.
It scares the hell out of me.
When I think about the fact that it's going to last forever.
Not 900000000000 triliion trillion trillion trillion years, but forever.
That it has no end.
That once I am dead that's it I will be unconciounss forever.
Like an eternal sleep , but unlike sleep that I eventually wake up from in the morning, here I will never wake up, it will be forever.
It simply dreads me.
To think that there will be no end to this.
death scares me too, but who is to say you won't exist in some other form after death?

No one knows, whatever the explanation for us being here and everything else around us being here, is something that no one can comprehend.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
What scares me about death is that it's eternal, with no end.
That's what frightens me the about death.
That it never ends. Never.
It's so scary when I think about it.

Please can someone help me by explaining why I shouldn't fear the eternalness of death.
I think there are some things worse than death.

Go read up on the holocaust, read up on people who are suffering some horrible diseases, read up on some truly horrific things that have happened in history.

We are living in a golden age of the universe / earth, nothing is eternal.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
I think there are some things worse than death.

Go read up on the holocaust, read up on people who are suffering some horrible diseases, read up on some truly horrific things that have happened in history.

We are living in a golden age of the universe / earth, nothing is eternal.
If nothing was eternal than I would not be so scared.
But when you examine our death you realise that IT is eternal.
That eternity of non - experience , non concioussness is what scares me.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
How do you know death is eternal? Have you died before?

The universe may not even be eternal. Theoretical physicists are trying to figure out how this universe came into being, how it will die.

If you want to worry about this stuff, study to become a theoretical physicist. Otherwise, what choice do you have? Waste this precious little time you have on this planet about the rest of the time you won't be here?

Old 07-19-2016, 11:41 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
[quote=Mvpix1212;44761312]our non - existence will last forever.
It's not like we are going to come back to life after a million or a billion or a trillion or a quintillion years and so on forever.
So our non - existence will last forever.

That's a comforting thought for me. Do you want to last forever?

Old 07-19-2016, 11:50 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
But why be scared of something you probably won't even be aware of? I know someone who was clinically dead and, unlike some others, did not experience anything. No white light, no departed loved ones greeting her, nothing. She says it was like undergoing anesthesia, lights out and you are not aware of anything whatsoever. So why be afraid of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy