U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 05:37 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,495,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The way you are flogging this I'm starting to think you're either suffering from OCD or you are a troll. .
If a troll cease and desist, if it's OCD, it's a ritual for 'reassurance' and will only get the OP deeper into the mire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 05:40 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,286,245 times
Who gives a crap? We all die someday...

Old 08-03-2016, 06:22 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,685,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpix1212 View Post
No one escapes death.
We will all die.
As a materialist atheist - I believe there is nothing but matter in the universe -no god , gods , spirits soul or anything ONLY atoms.

I believe we are our bodies more precisely our brains.
Our consciousness is a result of our brain.
And once we die, and our brain decomposes, that's it, we will never exist or experience anything for all eternity.
How do you handle that fact?.
To me it's terrifying and depressing that I will never experience anything again for all eternity.
It is terrifying because the common sense of identity is with our bodies, and we know that our bodies WILL die.
But consider who it is that is reading this - is it your body, or your conscious mind?
Consciousness is energy.
And you know that energy never zaps out of existence but simply changes form.

How does it change form and when? I have no idea.
But that it does, it is extremely probable - so much that I don't doubt it.
It's helped to consider consciousness as energy, which it is, and it's especially helped for me, having spiritual experiences. Look into Near Death Experiences in which distant events are confirmed... in other words, a person's body is pronounced clinically dead, and his/her consciousness travels to witness something they come back to explain and such event is confirmed.

It is nave of anyone to consider that they know everything, and that there is nothing left to learn. Just because we THINK we KNOW things based on our limited subjective view of this tiny world in an infinitely gigantic universe - is pretty narrow minded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGeOWYOFoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=4gKoN4yPzy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyTxCsIXE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Gotl9vRGs

Old 08-03-2016, 07:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,657,462 times
Energy doesn't die, it just changes frequencies.

We humans are limited on how we perceive the universe that surrounds us.

10 Limits to Human Perception ... and How They Shape Your World

There is much that we can't perceive while we are in these bodies.
Who's to say that we aren't going to be able to see and understand more once we go though the metamorphous of escaping this body and becoming fully spiritual like a caterpillar changes to a butterfly.
All Religions throughout ancient history point to an afterlife and it's hard to dispute mass hysteria and global superstition when it's been so obvious of it's existence for so long.

Every human being on this planet is aware of it and will talk about it as it is so strong like the urge to have sex so that life may go on. We are hardwired to produce life as there is daily death amongst us.
Believers or not, the thought exists and provokes thought and controversy.

And there's an ancient intellectual statistical approach to believing in a higher force written by Blaise Pascal (1623-1662) that's called Pascal's Wager about God.
Pascal’s Wager about God | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

You are destined for something that's life changing, don't fear it, embrace it.

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 08-03-2016 at 07:50 PM..

Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 PM

7,204 posts, read 12,608,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
[blah blah blah] Who's to say that we aren't going to be able to see and understand more once we go though the metamorphous of escaping this body and becoming fully spiritual like a caterpillar changes to a butterfly.
Who's to say we don't all become leprechauns when we die, and go around speaking in Gaelic to try to resurrect a mostly-dead language?

I mean, seriously? No one knows for sure, but to come up with fairy tales to make ourselves feel better ... well, again, seriously?

Quote:
All Religions throughout ancient history point to an afterlife and it's hard to dispute mass hysteria and global superstition when it's been so obvious of it's existence for so long.
Just because various religions have some concept of an "afterlife" (and many DON'T, of course) does not mean that any are TRUE. One of the PURPOSES of religion has been to make people feel better about THIS life (no matter how horrible and cruel) by dreaming of the afterlife to come, where all things will be wonderful. (There's a REASON Marx called religion the "opiate of the masses.")

Quote:
And there's even an ancient intellectual statistical approach to believing in a higher force written by Blaise Pascal (1623-1662) that's called Pascal's Wager about God.
Pascal’s Wager about God | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
Um, I think we know a bit more in 2016 than they did in 1662. Maybe? A little more?

Quote:
You are destined for something that's life changing, don't fear it, embrace it.
OR more likely, you're just DEAD and will not even know it. I don't know why people find that such a scary idea.

(Incidentally, I would LOVE it if there were really a wonderful, magical afterlife. I mean, of COURSE I would like to meet my father who died when I was not quite 2 years old, and see friends who perished LONG before their time, and see beloved animals who were and are so incredibly dear to me. But intellectually? It's simply impossible to believe any of that stuff, no matter how good it might make me feel. It's much more likely that we're just dead. Sorry, but we're just dead.)

And to the OP: would you stop starting threads like this, when everyone tells you the same thing? Stop b****ing and moaning and LIVE YOUR LIFE the best way you can.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:02 PM

4,887 posts, read 1,351,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
It is terrifying because the common sense of identity is with our bodies, and we know that our bodies WILL die.
But consider who it is that is reading this - is it your body, or your conscious mind?
Consciousness is energy.
And you know that energy never zaps out of existence but simply changes form.

How does it change form and when? I have no idea.
But that it does, it is extremely probable - so much that I don't doubt it.
It's helped to consider consciousness as energy, which it is, and it's especially helped for me, having spiritual experiences. Look into Near Death Experiences in which distant events are confirmed... in other words, a person's body is pronounced clinically dead, and his/her consciousness travels to witness something they come back to explain and such event is confirmed.

It is nave of anyone to consider that they know everything, and that there is nothing left to learn. Just because we THINK we KNOW things based on our limited subjective view of this tiny world in an infinitely gigantic universe - is pretty narrow minded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGeOWYOFoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=4gKoN4yPzy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyTxCsIXE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Gotl9vRGs
Am I the only one that when I see a post with like 20 youtube links my eyes just glaze over and I scroll right past it?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:04 PM

43,475 posts, read 52,497,423 times
Op.
Do you remember being upset at not being alive in 1756?

No?

Then you probably won't care in 2245, either.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:09 PM

14,191 posts, read 9,046,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The OP just has not accepted reality. He is still in denial of his own mortality. This falls more into an immature view of being alive. An adult that has a grasp of reality excepts that they only have so much time. 10 Years after I'm gone, I doubt that anyone will even think about me and that's fine and this would be true for 99% of us.
Yes, it is a denial of mortality.

Another way to look at it is, we are aware of a lot of time limitations.

We know that a movie lasts x minutes and then it's over. Do we not watch the movie because it isn't of infinite length? Is it a waste when the movie is over, such that we shouldn't have bothered to watch it? Of course not. In fact, structurally, the fact that the movie has a beginning, a middle and an end is a virtue. It's part of the movie's appeal.

It's no different with life. We are creatures of time, that is our scope. Our life has a beginning, a middle and an end. We actually NEED that.

Do students skip their education because it will come to an end eventually?

Do people not take vacations because they only last x days? Does that render vacations pointless?

Is it futile to read a book, knowing that it won't take forever to do so?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:40 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,657,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Who's to say we don't all become leprechauns when we die, and go around speaking in Gaelic to try to resurrect a mostly-dead language?

I mean, seriously? No one knows for sure, but to come up with fairy tales to make ourselves feel better ... well, again, seriously?

Actually, that would be heavenly for me.

Just because various religions have some concept of an "afterlife" (and many DON'T, of course) does not mean that any are TRUE. One of the PURPOSES of religion has been to make people feel better about THIS life (no matter how horrible and cruel) by dreaming of the afterlife to come, where all things will be wonderful. (There's a REASON Marx called religion the "opiate of the masses.")

Um, I think we know a bit more in 2016 than they did in 1662. Maybe? A little more?

You're right, we now know that there is a God and we are all entitled to go to heaven.
It's like a Constitutional right !

OR more likely, you're just DEAD and will not even know it. I don't know why people find that such a scary idea.

(Incidentally, I would LOVE it if there were really a wonderful, magical afterlife. I mean, of COURSE I would like to meet my father who died when I was not quite 2 years old, and see friends who perished LONG before their time, and see beloved animals who were and are so incredibly dear to me. But intellectually? It's simply impossible to believe any of that stuff, no matter how good it might make me feel. It's much more likely that we're just dead. Sorry, but we're just dead.)

And to the OP: would you stop starting threads like this, when everyone tells you the same thing? Stop b****ing and moaning and LIVE YOUR LIFE the best way you can.

Or, you can ignore him and let the rest of us have some lively fun with him !

Old 08-03-2016, 10:11 PM

878 posts, read 466,720 times
Default Act like an animal for a portion of the day

Whatever activity you find, it should be something so engrossing that you lose all sense of time and distracting thoughts. You should get a charge from just thinking about doing it. Anything from crochet to ice climbing can work. We are probably the only animal that can feel fear from thinking about an event that will occur far into the future.

If you love your job and have other enjoyable things to do to distract you, you will spend more time thinking positive thoughts. What are your other choices? Kill yourself or live in a state of existential dread for the rest of your life.

Last edited by A1eutian; 08-03-2016 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or