U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2016, 08:42 PM
 
332 posts, read 190,532 times
Reputation: 524

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
OP. As a formal student of biology, I had always heard that people who study biology are those who secretly want to find a way to eternal life. Whether or not that is true, your concern for the end of life will very likely weaken and/or change as you more closely approach the end. It seems to be one of the unwritten natural laws of human existence.

Toward the end of a normal life you may find that your trepidation of death has slowly evolved into a calm anticipation of it.

Very interesting post! The above being said, I feel like in a way, we all kind of want to control life in some way? A problem we have is death, death is the harsh cycle of life that we all have trouble dealing with, some of us never get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2016, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,369 posts, read 27,518,803 times
Reputation: 6535
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Name-calling and making fun of another person or trashing his/her beliefs seems childish and unnecessarily offensive. I disagree with many ideas and/or beliefs about many different things, yet I can do so without making snide remarks or without resorting to playground theatrics and insults. Not saying that you necessarily do that though, but many on C-D do that, especially when discussions center on politics and religion. Many people are civil at all other times, yet when discussing or debating those two subjects, many people regress to being bratty 12-year-olds.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2016, 01:50 AM
 
7,811 posts, read 5,261,902 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Name-calling and making fun of another person or trashing his/her beliefs seems childish and unnecessarily offensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Well said.
I fear however you make the same conflation that other people make by putting people and beliefs in the one sentence.

I do not name call people. Ever. I do not make comments about their intellectual capabilities, their appearance, or any of that. The worst I will do is point out the level of their knowledge on ONE particular subject. I respect PEOPLE. And I live by the motto "Insults demean only those that use them".

But IDEAS and BELIEFS are not people. They can be ripped apart, rebutted, thrashed, ridiculed, and taken hard and fast to the mat of intellectual rigor at any time, and in any way.

"Respect people, not ideas".

In fact put another way, I respect other people too much for me NOT to robustly and roundly tear apart bad ideas. It would be, for me, a complete lack of respect and regard for others for me NOT to play my small part in the exploration of idea space that our species is undertaking as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2016, 09:03 AM
 
1,177 posts, read 750,022 times
Reputation: 1060
I believe in the afterlife, but even if there is nothing after we die I'll still be happy. Life is for the most part pretty terrible. Look at things you like. For example going to the movies. For let's say two hours of pleasure (if you even like the WHOLE movie) you have to deal with getting there, waiting in lines (for the tickets, snacks, bathroom, ect), sitting next to rude people, germs, and a million commericals. For something you LIKE, 75% of it is terrible if you have a good time. I'm only scared of reincarnation or being born as me again. Or than that, I could die tomorrow no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2016, 11:59 AM
 
1,882 posts, read 1,428,543 times
Reputation: 2733
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
Very interesting post! The above being said, I feel like in a way, we all kind of want to control life in some way? A problem we have is death, death is the harsh cycle of life that we all have trouble dealing with, some of us never get over it.
Yeah, and this was all forced on us by someone else, namely, the parents who decided to bring us into the world. I have mixed emotions about life and existence itself, but one sticking point for me is the fact that our existence was forced upon us; we had no say, obviously, in choosing to be born or not. We were all given a death sentence at birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2016, 03:48 PM
 
3,312 posts, read 1,871,140 times
Reputation: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

It is still not making sense because you are still thinking in exactly the opposite way of what I described. You are still thinking in terms of "what does it feel like" when what I clearly described was there being no you remaining to "feel" anything in the first place.

As long as you continue to frame it in terms of what you think it is going to feel like, you will continue not to be actually thinking about what it is I am actually describing to you.

What did it "feel like" to be you before your parents conceived you?



A poor reason to believe in reincarnation because you have made an error there. Infections never "die" or "come back". They are always there. They are just usually there in such small quantities that you are not aware of them.

That question doesn't really work on me because I "woke up". Before is not the same as after because before has a sequence of events following it.

Okay well let's assume you are right that infections are always there. If infections are always there then it would stand to reason that we would always be there. After all we are far more complex than an infection. We may go through the process of dying (which is why the idea of dying still scares me with reincarnation) but there is a piece of us that is still around. We just left the body just as an infection may leave your body and go to another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I believe in the afterlife, but even if there is nothing after we die I'll still be happy. Life is for the most part pretty terrible. Look at things you like. For example going to the movies. For let's say two hours of pleasure (if you even like the WHOLE movie) you have to deal with getting there, waiting in lines (for the tickets, snacks, bathroom, ect), sitting next to rude people, germs, and a million commericals. For something you LIKE, 75% of it is terrible if you have a good time. I'm only scared of reincarnation or being born as me again. Or than that, I could die tomorrow no problems.
Life for me has been terrible but I'd still be afraid of leaving. My life may have sucked for a long time but I don't hate the concept of life itself. The only part that sucks about life as a concept is getting sick and that it is finite. For the average person, they have more of a choice when they are living.
You may have to deal with waiting in a line when you go the movie but you can mitigate the discomfort. Personally when I wait in a line and it's long enough I bring my phone. In most cases you don't have to sit next to rude people. Commercials are rarely a problem for me because I usually go to the theatre at the last minute so I miss some of them.

What's so bad about being born as you again? Maybe you could fix things in your life and change it to your liking knowing how it went the first time around. I hate my life but that's exactly why I would love to have a do over. Or do you mean being born as you and not remembering? In that case if you can't remember then you can't remember the displeasure you suffered.

Last edited by Nickchick; 09-11-2016 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 12:37 AM
 
7,811 posts, read 5,261,902 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Okay well let's assume you are right that infections are always there. If infections are always there then it would stand to reason that we would always be there.
No. It does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
After all we are far more complex than an infection.
It is not the complexity to which I was referring. It was the sheer numbers of them, and despite many of them dying off, they reproduce and rise again in sufficient numbers to always maintain some level of presence.

Nothing whatsoever analogous to your continued existence there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 01:49 AM
 
Location: kcmo
712 posts, read 1,941,248 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpix1212 View Post
No one escapes death.
We will all die.
As a materialist atheist - I believe there is nothing but matter in the universe -no god , gods , spirits soul or anything ONLY atoms.
Well as a stupid person your allowed to believe what you like.. however.. in about 20-30 years the fact that there is a creator and you are he and he is you (also called oneness) should be pretty common place.. (doesn't mean you have to join a religion though) so your 120 year thing is immaterial to how the actual future will be shaped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpix1212 View Post
No one escapes death.
We will all die.
Another thing coming is infinite life/health.. the body was not designed to die.. yah know? (no I get it you don't know.. carry on primitive human.. the earth is flat I'm with you!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpix1212 View Post
And once we die, and our brain decomposes, that's it, we will never exist or experience anything for all eternity.
How do you handle that fact?.
Since I already know the answers.. I carry on nicely.. thanks Actually if you observe the universe.. you will notice it's always expanding.. it doesn't contract.. that's a hint about your life and your soul.. regardless if you the human character here that you, doesn't know or believe that there is life after death.. there still is!

Well you have done a great job human of recounting all the primitive superstitious beliefs of 2016.. thank you for service! to the year of 2025 or 2060.. much of it is laughable..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 08:16 PM
 
1,142 posts, read 791,784 times
Reputation: 2229
As far as are concerned, although we will all be dead for eternity, we won't be aware of it because we will be dead. So, we are dead for a split second as far as our brain is concerned because once it is dead, it all stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,191 posts, read 9,043,946 times
Reputation: 6077
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Yeah, and this was all forced on us by someone else, namely, the parents who decided to bring us into the world. I have mixed emotions about life and existence itself, but one sticking point for me is the fact that our existence was forced upon us; we had no say, obviously, in choosing to be born or not. We were all given a death sentence at birth.
Then it is a sunk cost. You are not being picked on. None of us gets out of this alive.

I have on my worst days not appreciated my parents deciding on my behalf to thrust me into this world, but I am nothing if not curious, and practical at the same time. Curiosity makes me want to have more experiences to satisfy my curiosity. Pragmatism tells me that I can stop having new experiences anytime it should ever come to that.

Sure, this life has little to commend itself to us, if you want predictability, stability, safety, certainty, guaranteed acceptance, and permanence for the whole of it. But if you accept it on its own terms, and dont demand from life things that it isn't able to give, it still manages to kick ass on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top