U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 05:30 PM

6,406 posts, read 3,425,408 times

Advertisements

I'm 56 years old, and what I've been through in life already seems like an eternity. And I bet there are many people who feel the same way.

I have no fear with "eternal" death. Life is nothing but a fight until your physical self fails whether by accident or natural causes. Life is the biggest and longest game you will ever play, so work at it and enjoy it the best you can, because the batteries will run out, and filling up the mind with fear will only distract you from the task at hand - life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,058,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Eternal life violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics. It is impossible to have a perpetual motion machine and what is described in the christian narrative as the afterlife would be a perpetual motion machine.

Thinking and feeling require energy; our brains consume 20% of the energy our body ingests from food sources. Thinking and feeling are also dissipative processes (as required by the 2nd law). So where does the energy come from for these after-life entities, and how is it dissipated, and more importantly, what is the mechanism that allows cognition to happen after death? After all, it requires neurons and dendrites for humans to think. So where is that thinking and contemplating of god's wonderful heaven taking place? Oh yeah, we have to have faith. That answers it. Faith is the deux ex machina of the Christian narrative.
It does not violate the law of thermodynamics.

We continuously input energy into our system (FOOD), it never has been a perpetual motion machine.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:11 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,058,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
We're all simulations anyways
That's what Elon Musk says....

I would love an explanation on why we are in a simulation.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:06 PM

196 posts, read 134,774 times
OP - consider the fact that you might not know all - the below is a good thought, hope it brings you some peace (not even in a religious context, but just to consider that maybe everything that you think you know and experience now might not be... everything):

In a mother’s womb were two babies. One asked the other: “Do you believe in life after delivery?” The other replied, “Why, of course. There has to be something after delivery. Maybe we are here to prepare ourselves for what we will be later.”

“Nonsense” said the first. “There is no life after delivery. What kind of life would that be?”

The second said, “I don’t know, but there will be more light than here. Maybe we will walk with our legs and eat from our mouths. Maybe we will have other senses that we can’t understand now.”

The first replied, “That is absurd. Walking is impossible. And eating with our mouths? Ridiculous! The umbilical cord supplies nutrition and everything we need. But the umbilical cord is so short. Life after delivery is to be logically excluded.”

The second insisted, “Well I think there is something and maybe it’s different than it is here. Maybe we won’t need this physical cord anymore.”

The first replied, “Nonsense. And moreover if there is life, then why has no one has ever come back from there? Delivery is the end of life, and in the after-delivery there is nothing but darkness and silence and oblivion. It takes us nowhere.”

“Well, I don’t know,” said the second, “but certainly we will meet Mother and she will take care of us.”
The first replied “Mother? You actually believe in Mother? That’s laughable. If Mother exists then where is She now?”

The second said, “She is all around us. We are surrounded by her. We are of Her. It is in Her that we live. Without Her this world would not and could not exist.”

Said the first: “Well I don’t see Her, so it is only logical that She doesn’t exist.”

To which the second replied, “Sometimes, when you’re in silence and you focus and you really listen, you can perceive Her presence, and you can hear Her loving voice, calling down from above.”

~ Útmutató a Léleknek

Old 08-19-2016, 01:24 PM

878 posts, read 465,299 times
Default What things can you be sure of

What do you know about the nature of existence, based only on your experience and not delving too deeply into philosophy?

Discounting the whole "reality is an illusion" theory ( I'm not saying we're not all in simulation, who knows?) you can with confidence say that you were once not here, you were born, and are alive now, and you will be dead some day.

So when you say that death is eternal, how do you know?

Not that you will be reincarnated with any connection to you current body.

But how do you know that after you die, you (not you actually) won't be born as another person the next day or 1,000 years into the future?

There's no way to be sure death is the end of all consciousness and everything goes dark forever. Even if that were true, why is not being able to experience any pain and suffering so scary? Time doesn't exist for the dead, so forever doesn't mean anything.

What scares me is dying and then having another, completely separate existence that is MUCH, MUCH worse than the current life.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:54 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
That's what Elon Musk says....

I would love an explanation on why we are in a simulation.
It's all based on a few assumptions on technological development and probabilities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnl6nY8YKHs
Are You Living in a Simulation?

Old 08-24-2016, 07:09 PM

594 posts, read 482,878 times
Life comes from God.
Every entity that has life has a tiny peice of God.
God has always been. Never had a beginning.
Just like a crumb from a cake is still the cake, your life is a crumb if you will, from God himself.
In other words, just like a crumb can never be returned to the cake, once God gave you life.......you are alive as long as he is. Rather you like or not.
Once you leave this dimension, you will return back to where WE came.
So go to your bathroom alone and look at yourself in the mirror. What you see living inside of that dirt body......can never die. You WILL NEVER DIE.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:05 AM

82 posts, read 48,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
If you have no belief in the afterlife I can see where death would seem more final than if you had that belief. But the fact is, everyone dies. There is nothing you can do about that.

I would rather spend my time enjoying life on this side of the turf rather than worrying about what comes later. We'll all find out soon enough.
Couldn't have said it better. Although I do understand where the OP is coming from.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:33 AM

349 posts, read 212,028 times
I think looking at it differently may be a good thing. The Bible says that if you put your trust in Jesus, you will have eternal life. Who wouldn't want this amazing eternal life?

Old 09-10-2016, 09:42 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,367,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpix1212 View Post
See but I believe we have no such thing as a "soul".
We are our brains I believe.
So, all your fears are based on your believe. But what if your believe is wrong? What if you are mistaken? Then all of you fears are coming out from your ignorance.
There are a lot of books that were written by the great thinkers, philosophers, scientists, psychologists, physicians etc. Many of them say that reincarnation is a real thing. There is not such thing in the universe as a eternal death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or