Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 07:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
To me, with my ex boyfriend. Of course I have a lot of memories. Then I look back and think did he really mean those things? I feel he didn't or we'd still be together. Just as with friends or family members I've lost touched with (not dead just not really talking), I think why did I go throw the trouble of befriending them?
Don't question the good you've had...don't turn it into something else.
Sometimes relationships just don't work out..it doesn't mean it was all bad.

You go through the trouble (personally I don't call it trouble) of befriending them because you desire friendship...you care...you like companionship, friends.
There's nothing bad about that, even when there's no guarantee it will last.

We have friends we've known for decades....sometimes we don't speak to each other for years...they're still friends though, and I'm glad I met them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 08:28 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Just as with friends or family members I've lost touched with (not dead just not really talking), I think why did I go through the trouble of befriending them?
This is a little like when people ask, what's the point of living, we're all going to die anyway? Well obviously the point of loving, or living, is to do so while you are able and while it lasts. Refusing to find meaning and purpose or enjoyment simply because you're not immortal (or of such significance that you will never be forgotten) is really just throwing a childish fit and cutting off your nose to spite your face, as they say.

With respect to love this is caught in the aphorism, "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened".

I've lost my mother, eldest brother, previous wife and my son to untimely death. I can't see how I would do them justice by forgetting about them on the one hand or pining endlessly for them on the other. All things are impermanent. Anything you treasure can be taken from you at any time, for any reason or no reason at all. This is just life. Once you "price that in" you can be more resilient. Also, it will help you to be in the moment and to leave nothing unsaid or undone that you might regret later on, because you won't be kidding yourself that your spouse or child or job or whatever is somehow magically everlasting. It is all ephemeral and to be treasured while you have it.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:18 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
Hard to tell. Both make you feel crummy. Pining for love and feeling lonely feels like crap and can make you depressed. But feeling rejected and hurt from a lost romance/friendship are also crummy and hurts like mad. So pick your poison.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:57 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is a little like when people ask, what's the point of living, we're all going to die anyway? Well obviously the point of loving, or living, is to do so while you are able and while it lasts. Refusing to find meaning and purpose or enjoyment simply because you're not immortal (or of such significance that you will never be forgotten) is really just throwing a childish fit and cutting off your nose to spite your face, as they say.

With respect to love this is caught in the aphorism, "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened".

I've lost my mother, eldest brother, previous wife and my son to untimely death. I can't see how I would do them justice by forgetting about them on the one hand or pining endlessly for them on the other. All things are impermanent. Anything you treasure can be taken from you at any time, for any reason or no reason at all. This is just life. Once you "price that in" you can be more resilient. Also, it will help you to be in the moment and to leave nothing unsaid or undone that you might regret later on, because you won't be kidding yourself that your spouse or child or job or whatever is somehow magically everlasting. It is all ephemeral and to be treasured while you have it.
This only trivializes some people's beliefs.

I cannot tell someone, especially someone I don't know whether or not love is worth the pain and suffering that comes with it because I am not that person, I have not walked a mile in their shoes or see the world the way they see it.

It's up to them to decide whether love is worth it just like it is up to a person to decide whether life itself is worth it. There's no right and wrong answer it is their answer which may be different from my answer or your answer.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:23 PM

652 posts, read 873,884 times
There is nothing more beautiful than when love and hate collide.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:46 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
There is nothing more beautiful than when love and hate collide.
Love without Hate is more beautiful.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This only trivializes some people's beliefs.
If you say so. I was not suggesting that people's pain is negligible, only that it's inevitable and decrying it is not an actionable strategy that actually accomplishes something or makes it better. On the other hand, accepting what you have while you have it, being present with it while it's there, and letting it go when it's gone, leads to better levels of contentment in my experience.

It is certainly within anyone's rights to be discontent, bitter, angry, resentful, and/or hopeless, and it's their needle to thread, as you point out. I just don't recommend it.

I have a lot that I could be bemoaning in my life. I scarcely recognize it compared to what I chose / worked for / aspired to. I don't recognize my thrice-married, once-divorce, once-widowed, godless, asexual self and have pretty much become everything I once despised. Either one adapts or one collapses under it all. That is all I'm really saying.

Once I let go of my expectations, I am free to notice that I have a wonderful career that pays me well and doesn't overwork me, that I am debt free, sitting in front of a pleasant fireplace writing this on a slick MacBook Air, and at least for the present I do not fear war, pillaging invaders, power outages, pestilence, homelessness or starvation. That is no small thing. But it could be completely overlooked if I didn't "trivialize" my old beliefs as you put it.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Love without Hate is more beautiful.
For once we agree.

Of course hate is just the flip side of love ... it is disappointed love. The true opposite of love is not hate, but indifference.

It would be nice if love were never disappointed, and it would be beautiful if there were no impediments to it. Though I suppose some would argue that it wouldn't be so precious if not so hard-fought for.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:29 PM

54 posts, read 41,126 times
not just no, but HELL no. I'd be a million $ ahead by now, if I'd never met her.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:49 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,637 times
Awareness is always traumatic, it comes suddenly and it is proof that there is no free will, but a scripted destiny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy