Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 04:17 PM

578 posts, read 458,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Yes it will. How do you think most people succeed in the corporate world? By being backstabbers and schemers.
are you my twin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 06:42 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,645,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Got about a third of the way into the post and then moved on.
Sounds like the OP is preparing to fail, and will become a burden to society.
Congratulations, you got farther than I did... yawn....

Old 10-14-2016, 06:04 AM

179 posts, read 155,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I was offered a job as a unix sys admin in 1989 because I could operate a PC, and the pro from IBM who was hired for the job didn't show up. With no knowledge of unix or the servers or being a sys admin, I jumped at the chance. That was the work I loved which gave me a comfortable living and retirement.
Stroke of luck happened with the above bolded. Imagine if the pro from IBM showed up for the job. You would have been out, no questions asked, and no one would care how hard you worked. Luck has to be involved for anything good to happen.

You can never gain luck by hard work, because the definition of luck is "good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance." Now people always say "if you work hard enough luck happens." Nope. Luck is happenstance and can occur with the laziest of people. Then people will say "if you are there at the right time because of your hard work... luck happens more often." Nope. Luck is happenstance and can occur once in someone's life through no work or effort on that person's part. If luck resulted from hard work, then why aren't there millions of lottery winners working in the rice fields of China. Those people work hard every day, luck should be shining its light on them. Nope. Luck is completely distinct from hard work.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:16 AM

854 posts, read 519,749 times
Hard work doesn't often necessarily equal success. These things are just as much part of it (if not more so):

Luck
Genetics
The family you're born into
Where you're born
Your sexual orientation
Your face (sadly, racism still exists)
Your gender (sexism still exists)
Mental and physical health

When it's a level playing field, maybe I'll believe accusations of laziness and poor decision making, usually aimed at those who were born with some sort of disadvantage or are part of a marginalized group.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:43 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,126,268 times
How old is the original poster? I don't think he has a grasp on what exactly people do. Babyboomer easy street?! Gen X easy Street?! ...Seriously? Ever bought a car at 20% interest? That was NORMAL in the late 70's. dude you need to get out more. You have no idea what you are talking about.

This smacks of Obama saying "You didn't build that". Bull crap. Worked very hard as a college drop out and have flourished in the work place. My success was not from taking easy street and slacking. Even able to raise a family on a single income. People spend too much. I sit at a stop light and am surrounded by new cars. I go to peoples houses that are HUGE. Everyone just has to have HBO, a massive data plan, multiple pairs of shoes, and cable. Another real problem is people don't know what they want to do so they stay the course in a career based on the first "real job" they had. Also people have no clue how to save, fund themselves, or reach customers. All of which can be found by just reading. Turn the TV off and just start reading. begin networking with people in a career you want. No one is keeping you down and no one stepped on you to get where they are. Go freaking do something and stop whining.

Last edited by 2Loud; 10-14-2016 at 06:57 AM..

Old 10-14-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
How old is the original poster? I don't think he has a grasp on what exactly people do. Babyboomer easy street?! Gen X easy Street?! ...Seriously? Ever bought a car at 20% interest? That was NORMAL in the late 70's. dude you need to get out more. You have no idea what you are talking about.

This smacks of Obama saying "You didn't build that". Bull crap. Worked very hard as a college drop out and have flourished in the work place. My success was not from taking easy street and slacking.
Boomers are so out of touch with how it is to adult now that I can't even be bothered to argue. Different world *sigh*.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
That was excellent.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Boomers are so out of touch with how it is to adult now that I can't even be bothered to argue. Different world *sigh*.
Surprise! ...not a boomer. I know exactly what the score is today, I just also don't make excuses.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:45 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,433,139 times
Succeed in life or fail, it is definitely up to you, NO ONE Else.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Surprise! ...not a boomer. I know exactly what the score is today, I just also don't make excuses.
I suspect privilege
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy