Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:44 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,291,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frat...al_orientation

Read the info in this link. You are obviously not well informed on this issue.

And, I've just read that all mammals have some percentage of sane sex preferrers. Do you think those animals choose to be gay?

Don't base everything on what you read, they after all are "studies". In case you believe you are so well informed on this issue just because of the link you provided, you might wanna 're read it cause obviously you missed the most important line. Go, re-read it.

I understand it's easier and more convenient to categorise them as 'born this way" though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 01:56 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,950,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydreams View Post
Everything you are as a person right now. I'm not talking about your choices, lifestyle, decision, hobbies, and all the crap that you do everyday that you think makes you special, etc. I'm talking about YOU. What you are as a human being, physically and mentally. Many people are under the misconception that personality and anything regarding behavior is something ethereal and not physical. You are wrong.

Everything you consider "the inside" is nothing more than a byproduct of your brain, which is made of physical parts and components, which are 100% determined by your genetics. There is very little to nothing you can do to change how your brain is wired and how it operates. Your personality, character, temperament, inhibition or desinhibition, extroversion, introversion, intelligence, talents, etc, are mostly determined by how your brain is made.

Every single part about your physical appearance is determined by your genetics. Height, body shape, muscle shape, fat shape, skin color, hair color, facial hair, body hair, bone size, face, organs, how your body is wired and how every single part inside of you is made. Everything. It determines if you will suffer from health problems, how long you will live, how fast or slow you will age, if you will develop cancer or not, etc. There is very little you can do to alter these things.

Of course, humans will always refuse to accept this, because it leave them hopeless and powerless.

Humans will always put people with good genetics, which includes looks, talent and emotional aspects on a pedestal. This has happened since the history of mankind. We always look up to those are better than us.

Equally, we put down those who want to better themselves and who try to achieve what the people won the genetic lottery have. Example, such as plastic surgery and many other. It may be a form of jealousy and wanting to keep others down where you are.

I made you write this

Old 12-08-2016, 10:54 AM

11,035 posts, read 6,584,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
There may very well be, but not everyone with a genetic tendency towards something manifests that in their life. For those that do not, the physical structure of their brain is different.

So how is the brain different in an alcoholic? Other than "burning out the brain cells" that one always hears about.

I agree with the genetics thing being an overwhelming factor. My sisters and I have all lived very different lives with regards to nutrition, activity, meds, jobs....but we all ended up with bad joints.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:18 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,561,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydreams View Post
Everything you are as a person right now. I'm not talking about your choices, lifestyle, decision, hobbies, and all the crap that you do everyday that you think makes you special, etc. I'm talking about YOU. What you are as a human being, physically and mentally. Many people are under the misconception that personality and anything regarding behavior is something ethereal and not physical. You are wrong.

Everything you consider "the inside" is nothing more than a byproduct of your brain, which is made of physical parts and components, which are 100% determined by your genetics. There is very little to nothing you can do to change how your brain is wired and how it operates. Your personality, character, temperament, inhibition or desinhibition, extroversion, introversion, intelligence, talents, etc, are mostly determined by how your brain is made.

Every single part about your physical appearance is determined by your genetics. Height, body shape, muscle shape, fat shape, skin color, hair color, facial hair, body hair, bone size, face, organs, how your body is wired and how every single part inside of you is made. Everything. It determines if you will suffer from health problems, how long you will live, how fast or slow you will age, if you will develop cancer or not, etc. There is very little you can do to alter these things.

Of course, humans will always refuse to accept this, because it leave them hopeless and powerless.

Humans will always put people with good genetics, which includes looks, talent and emotional aspects on a pedestal. This has happened since the history of mankind. We always look up to those are better than us.

Equally, we put down those who want to better themselves and who try to achieve what the people won the genetic lottery have. Example, such as plastic surgery and many other. It may be a form of jealousy and wanting to keep others down where you are.
Nonsense. Humans have more potential than any other species, to change themselves physically and mentally, as they develop into adults. Even our sexual responses are just as much learned as we grow, as they are inborn. Men, who have been raised in an environment devoid of women, will not likely have much sexual interest in them. And I don't intend this to be interpreted as about anything other than straight sexual orientation.

If you start at an early age, you can train yourself to do many things for which you may not have been born with much talent. Intelligence can be increased by using the mind to practice complex and difficult tasks. I've known some sets of identical twins, who followed different pathways academically and athletically and became very different in appearance, personality and abilities. There are many identical twins, who have very different outcomes, regarding health and the diseases they might suffer. Also, you have completely left out the major effect that different environments and exposure to different toxins and pathogens can have. The food we eat and our exercise habits, can alter all aspects of our lives. I'm amused by the suggestion that my lifetime of hard athletic training, has not made a major difference in my shape and capabilities.

I don't know where you got this extreme idea about total genetic determination for our potential or why you are promoting it in such an absolutist way.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 12-08-2016 at 05:44 PM..

Old 12-08-2016, 05:53 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,561,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
This is absolutely false.

You put the smartest baby and the "dumbest" baby out in the woods without care and they will both die.

There are musicians who go unrecognized who have way more talent than most pop stars; yet who's smarter there?

Sometimes "better" is just working hard despite upbringing or genetics.

Is it perhaps easier for those with good genetics and a good upbringing, possibly. However there are those rich, good looking people with certain flaws. Perhaps they are depressed or suffer from depression. On the outside they "have it all" but inside they are suffering.

I agree we may be predisposed to certain things and have affinities toward certain things; if I'm 4' 10" it is impossible for me to play in the NBA, but there's a big grey area of talent and work that is being lost here.
I agree with almost everything you say, but how about Spud Webb, who at a height of 5' 7", won the NBA Slam-dunk Championship? Or Johnny O'Brien, who at 5' 10", played center on his basketball team and was chosen as 1st-team All-American? His twin, Eddie, was 2nd-team All-American.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:46 PM

11,981 posts, read 8,317,221 times
Studies have indicated that there is a difference in certain receptors in the human brain of potential alcoholics which makes them more prone to alcoholism than others.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0307075508.htm

Reading this makes me think about my freshman year in college when a sociology teacher told the class that we are all born a "clean slate." My first thought, borne of common sense, was "Rubbish." This was in the 1970s and was taught for years.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:48 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
Don't base everything on what you read, they after all are "studies". In case you believe you are so well informed on this issue just because of the link you provided, you might wanna 're read it cause obviously you missed the most important line. Go, re-read it.

I understand it's easier and more convenient to categorise them as 'born this way" though.
This is a scientific investigation of a known phenomenon. I did read it.

Just because you choose to believe something, against all evidence, because it agrees with a belief you do not wish to change, does not make it correct. Your belief against all evidence to the contrary is a choice.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:45 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,291,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This is a scientific investigation of a known phenomenon. I did read it.

Just because you choose to believe something, against all evidence, because it agrees with a belief you do not wish to change, does not make it correct. Your belief against all evidence to the contrary is a choice.

You didn't.

Well, I choose not to believe in everything I read, until scientifically proven apart from self experienced.

Investigations are investigative studies. They're not "evidence". They're not scientifically proven even. According to you, it's as much if not much less, an 'evident' as seemingly 'aids originated from gays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy