U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 02:06 PM

3,075 posts, read 3,156,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As far as the use of the term 'Merican, that too is a a form of social signalling. It says, "Even though I am technically American by unfortunate accident of birth, I am not like the common, low-brow plebes you see around me. I am better. Why I am practically a European."
I've never heard Europeans refer to us that way...my understanding is that it came from the way Bush then Obama say it,coupled with let's just say the rural culture of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 06:31 PM

61 posts, read 29,287 times
Let's not forget that masculinity has been demonized in this country for the last few decades now. Many men have been "de-fanged". So now they take on this sort of societal approved "macho" persona to tell the world "yes, I'm still a man." But it's not real.
Many men have been banished to the basement(referred to by the wife as the "man cave") while the wife runs the rest of the house, are making huge payments on an overly-expensive, over-sized truck to signal superiority in public, then there are no male only places where men can truly be men so they are always forced to censor themselves.
Furthermore, many have had no rite of passage into manhood or even somebody who taught them about being a man.
I think that many men are just lost and are seeking a male identity the only way society will allow them to do so which is this cartoonish macho persona that seems to be so popular.
This female oriented society likes it because it has just enough male braggadocio to be sexy but it's easy to understand and control and it's basically "safe".

Old 10-29-2016, 06:43 PM

5,711 posts, read 4,134,754 times
Macho turns me OFF. A guy with a big ego is usually an A$$hole.

If you drive a big truck because you need it then fine, but as a status symbol, it's a silly waste of money.

Macho guys who have to own pitbulls and the likes to show off their toughness, are even more A$$holes.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:52 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,035,852 times
Quote:
As far as the use of the term 'Merican, that too is a a form of social signalling. It says, "Even though I am technically American by unfortunate accident of birth, I am not like the common, low-brow plebes you see around me. I am better. Why I am practically a European."
I couldn't rep you again, but YES. This is hilarious...and so true.

Also, trucks are very handy vehicles to have. It's nice to be able to haul stuff around.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:25 AM

6,220 posts, read 5,335,827 times
America is hardly macho. If you want macho you need to check out countries where men are still seen as most the dominant gender. I'm thinking some Latin American countries, the middle east especially.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:18 AM

5,599 posts, read 4,912,254 times
Quote:
Truck commercials emphasize the macho thing as a marketing tool. The mareting of virtually every sort of product signals some type of trait that the intended consumer would ostensibly want to have associated with them. It could be a macho image, sophistication, sexual attractiveness, responsibility, etc.

The thing is, American consumers buy all of these products. The macho image is one part of a multifaceted personality. You don't sell pick-up trucks by appealing to a person's sphistication justs as you don't sell cardigan sweaters appealing to a person's machoness, yet the same person may well own both.

You nailed it. I'm surprised OP didn't spell it "'murican".

Old 10-30-2016, 06:44 AM

3,696 posts, read 3,092,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I couldn't rep you again, but YES. This is hilarious...and so true.

Also, trucks are very handy vehicles to have. It's nice to be able to haul stuff around.
AND look like a real man at the same time. I finally stopped driving a truck because I got tired of always getting a call whenever a friend needed to move something.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:54 AM

1,085 posts, read 644,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
What's with the 'merican obsession with trucks and everything 'macho'? Vanity I think...
You ask that like its a bad thing.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:26 AM

14,179 posts, read 11,593,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
AND look like a real man at the same time. I finally stopped driving a truck because I got tired of always getting a call whenever a friend needed to move something.

Lol, yea. You find friends you never knew you had come moving day. Still, I drive a truck because I have to. I need to be able to haul, tow and get off road. I don't accessorize much. It's a truck, not a show rig. It's certainly not a status symbol or some extension of my manhood. I don't have any hangup about being "macho" or anything. I'm just me. But hey, if someone feels the need to express themselves via a truck build, what's wrong with that? Some guys paint, some guys build trucks. And lest we forget, it's trendy now for gals to drive big trucks, roll coal at stop signs, all that "manly" stuff.

I even saw a bumper sticker that said "Silly boy. Trucks are for girls." So, there ya go.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:08 PM

2,748 posts, read 1,701,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
What's with the 'merican obsession with trucks and everything 'macho'? Vanity I think...
insecurity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or