Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 06:43 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Why should I fear something that is natural and normal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Being eaten alive by a bear is natural and normal and, I imagine, quite painful.
Dying is natural and normal, whether it's as food for another animal or in your sleep. Being eaten alive seems to me to be fear of dying.

I read once in the Reader's Digest a joke about worrying.

Why Worry?

There's only 2 things to worry about, whether you are sick or healthy.

If you are healthy you have nothing to worry about. If you are sick you only have 2 things to worry about,
whether you get better or worse.

If you get better you have nothing to worry about. If you get worse you have 2 things to worry about, whether you live or die.

If you live you have nothing to worry about. If you die you only have 2 things to worry about, if you go to heaven or hell.

If you go to heaven you have nothing to worry about. If you go to hell you'll be so busy shaking hands with your friends you won't have time to worry.

That being said, since there is a stairway to heaven and a highway to hell tells a lot about anticipated traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You can not avoid death but you can choose to live a life that gives you the most time here on earth. Stay fit, don't smoke, don't use illegal substances, stay active, even working years into a normal retirement age are things that help to extend life. In healthcare someone mentioned that close to 70% of health problems are self inflicted. Lifestyle will determine how long you live for the most part. Can not do anything about getting eaten by a bear though.
At the end of the day, you should live life the way it makes you most happy. Now I'm not condoning gluttony, or excess, but I'll be damned if I am going to extend my life 5 years by not doing anything that makes me enjoy life. MODERATION/. Id rather retire at a normal age than work 5 more years to live 5 years longer. I'D rather enjoy retirement in my 60's than work into my 70's and hope to be living at 90? Who wants to be a 90 year old anyway?

Old 11-02-2016, 09:35 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times
Default Who said people aren't scared

After several decades on the planet the fear lessens. Your attachment to worldly things gradually diminishes and ideally, you die peacefully in your sleep at 85 because you've seen enough.

Don't worry about it. It's going to happen, and not at a place or time of your choice - unless you are into suicide.

Live if fear until then, or just live.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:08 PM

31 posts, read 17,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Then you need to show me a process that follows a pattern without any control.
Define "control." Many processes follow patterns with no deliberate control, influenced only by physical laws.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:57 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Being that you are alive and conscious right now, how is it that people aren't afraid of death?

I understand completely when people say when you die, there's nothing so you won't know any better and not know your dead and what not.

What that fails to address is the fact that you are living now. How could you not fear( right now) that there will be a time when you're dead that you won't feel, think, see, smell, touch the things you do right now? Just like for people who have sight right now, aren't you scared that one day, you might lose that ability to see?

I understand to not to worry about things you can't control but the mind doesn't work like that. Since you are alive right now, how can you not worry that it will be taken away from you.

Better to surrender than have something taken away, eh? ...Which is the process of dying to the ego / mortal mind, so that the manifestation of Unconditional Omnipresent Love can be your being. This is The Truth.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:55 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"Just have a sandwich!"
This reminds me of something the late singer/songwriter Warren Zevon said. He was a guest on David Letterman's show after he had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Reflecting on it, he said "enjoy every sandwich". He was a very interesting individual.

For the majority of people who have probably never heard it, here is a song written and recorded by Zevon very close to when he died, "Keep Me In Your Heart". I defy anyone to listen to this song and not get choked up. I think Zevon had accepted his approaching death at this point, and recorded a poignant, beautiful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dscsGRjpxk

Old 11-03-2016, 08:03 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
At the end of the day, you should live life the way it makes you most happy. Now I'm not condoning gluttony, or excess, but I'll be damned if I am going to extend my life 5 years by not doing anything that makes me enjoy life. MODERATION/. Id rather retire at a normal age than work 5 more years to live 5 years longer. I'D rather enjoy retirement in my 60's than work into my 70's and hope to be living at 90? Who wants to be a 90 year old anyway?
I agree. I retired at 51. I have time to actually enjoy what remains of my life while still in good enough health to participate in the things I love like hobbies, sports, and travel. No longer do I get that sad feeling I sometimes used to get on Sunday afternoons, knowing that tomorrow I'll be back on the treadmill, living my life at someone else's beck and call. I would rather live 65 years well than 90 years without the time and good health to savor the fruits of my years of labor.

My 89 year old MIL, who lived with us until recently, says she is ready to die. She walks very slowly, hunched over with the usual maladies of her age, osteoporosis, atrophying muscles, pain, insomnia, and confusion. She says she has lived too long. Her husband of 57 years is dead. All her friends are dead. She prays every night that God will take her in her sleep, but each morning she wakes up again, alive and unhappy. The things she used to enjoy participating in are impossible for her now. This is what I fear far more than death. Her memories slip away a little more everyday. She remembers the long ago times and misses them terribly, but fortunately she doesn't remembers the indignities she faces each day for very long. Dementia is funny that way, and merciful I suppose. It takes the earliest memories last and, for her, those were the happier times.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:54 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnBear View Post
Define "control." Many processes follow patterns with no deliberate control, influenced only by physical laws.
Physical laws usually apply force - and force is not generated on its own. So this force DOES control the flow in pattern in a process. Remove this controlled force from a process and you will most likely see chaos.

Here is an example,

Go out on your driveway with an empty bucket.
Get about fifty odd small rocks
Start placing the rocks on the asphalt where they form alphabets, spelling your first name.
Take a photo of this with your cell phone
Now put all the rocks in the bucket and toss them in the air to see if they land on the asphalt forming your first name again?
You are free to repeat the process trillion^trillion times.

Now, instead of looking at the entire universe, just look at our solar system and think of planets as rocks moving in an orbit. And you think this process and its pattern is flowing without a control?

If yes, everything happens randomly and there is no control and design in the universe, then tell me what are the odds of Fibonacci sequence appearing inside the cabbage corresponding to Fibonacci sequence in the Galaxies?

Last edited by GoCardinals; 11-03-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-03-2016, 11:20 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Op here.

Ok here's another analogy.

Let's say you've never eaten apples before. So you go through life not missing or caring about eatings apples. To me, that's before you were born. You haven't had life so you don't know what your missing and really don't care.

Now you've eaten an apple and you love apples. That's being born and you now. You feel, love,touch, smell,taste,see and all the glorious things life has to offer.

Then you find out that one day, there's 100% chance that apples will be taken away from you. That's death.

How is it that you won't fear or worry about having apples taken away from you(that you love)?

If that makes sense.

Apples are not like death. You have other food options like chocolate which is far more fun to eat then apples. Death is final. Taking away a food choice is meh. Whatever. I'll find something else to take it's place. Death has no other option.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:25 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Death is the end of YOUR consciousness. Next time around, YOUR consciousness will be entirely different. You may not even be the same sex.

Come back? Oh no oh no. I refuse to do this again. Once was enough. Don't make me come over there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy