U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 03:16 PM

1,651 posts, read 705,695 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of it has to do with one's belief in an afterlife or simply ones state of mind. My cousin is on a waiting list for a heart transplant. He's died twice in his life because of a heart abnormality he was born with. He says death is strange because there is no sense of time like there is with sleeping or being unconscious. It's like time travel according to him. One second he was in a panic knowing something was wrong, and the next he was looking up at paramedics with no sense of the time that had past. He says it's not scary because there is nothing to be scared of. Death is complete nothingness according to him.

I think he's come to terms with it more than most people because of life experiences, but the few times I've talked with him about death, it really scared the hell out of me. I don't like the idea of simply not existing because I haven't come to terms with it. I'm sure there is a biological element to it as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 03:22 PM

18,278 posts, read 23,403,969 times
I made it to 50,,,,didnt think id make it this far..

I don't fear mortality, ive accepted it

what I do fear,,,,,is being bedridden, or sick,,,,or a burden,,,or in pain everyday wasting away,,,id rather have a bullet in the head

Old 11-01-2016, 03:59 PM

285 posts, read 175,433 times
I believe it depends on what you believe while you're here. Think about it. If you believe in Heaven or Hell, you go to one or the other based on choices made alive. Believe in reincarnation, you are reincarnated. Believe in walking the earth as a ghost, then you will do that. For some, like me, it's just up in the air. I do not believe in a God, I don't believe in a Heaven or Hell (more really I don't care), and I sort of believe in reincarnation and that we live in a ****ed up cycle of life and death that never ends.

While death itself is terrifying, I think it's those who have faith in what'll happen are those who aren't afraid.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:10 PM

17,631 posts, read 11,080,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Why should I fear something that is natural and normal?

I agree. I am 71 and starting to think of my own death, and it really does not bother me for me, but I do feel bad for the way my Sons will have to deal with my passing. Otherwise, I really am not afraid to go, I have had a wonderful life, done a lot of things, have many great memories, but would not want to do it all again. Once is enough !

Everything has a beginning and and end, life is simply that way too. There is also the possibility that I may be able to see the ones who passed before me, but who knows if that is true or not.

Don

Old 11-01-2016, 04:19 PM

20,539 posts, read 13,568,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Being that you are alive and conscious right now, how is it that people aren't afraid of death?

I understand completely when people say when you die, there's nothing so you won't know any better and not know your dead and what not.

What that fails to address is the fact that you are living now. How could you not fear( right now) that there will be a time when you're dead that you won't feel, think, see, smell, touch the things you do right now? Just like for people who have sight right now, aren't you scared that one day, you might lose that ability to see?

I understand to not to worry about things you can't control but the mind doesn't work like that. Since you are alive right now, how can you not worry that it will be taken away from you.

There isn't anything to be "afraid of" since you cannot control nor prevent death. That being said yes, can understand why persons fear the Grim Reaper; it is a natural feeling to be afraid of the unknown which is what happens at death. People say it is like "going to sleep" but (hopefully) we all awake from slumber; death OTOH is permanent in all but a few outlying cases. By the latter am speaking of those who are clinically declared dead but CPR or other interventions resuscitate.

One of my favourite episodes from the old "The Twilight Zone" series is "Nothing In The Dark" staring a very young Robert Redford.

An elderly woman is so afraid of death she locks herself in her basement apartment thinking she can keep death away. Death arrives in the form of a young (and very blonde/good looking) Robert Redford who convinces the elderly woman that death is natural and she has nothing to fear. Reluctantly the woman "accepts" Death's hand and offer asking "when does it happen?". Death tells her it already has and the camera cuts to a mirror showing the woman lying dead on her bed looking rather peaceful. Death tells her "see mother?, no shock..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9JZCo912kI

Sadly Death comes to us in many ways, and the best we all can hope for is to die peacefully in our beds.

Now for some cow bells!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy4HA3vUv2c

Old 11-01-2016, 04:36 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,151,992 times
How do you all know you're alive now? Ghosts don't necessarily know they're dead. You all think you're debating something important. But it really isn't. You think you see yourself typing. But that's not what I see.

I see dead people.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:45 PM

4,312 posts, read 1,605,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This does not follow logically from your argument.
Then you need to show me a process that follows a pattern without any control.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:51 PM

20,539 posts, read 13,568,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
How do you all know you're alive now? Ghosts don't necessarily know they're dead. You all think you're debating something important. But it really isn't. You think you see yourself typing. But that's not what I see.

I see dead people.

Some do, other don't; some do and don't want to accept the fact they are dead.

Remember the film "Poltergeist" when the medium told the family that the "others" were holding their daughter (Carol Ann) because she reminded them/was their connection to all that they lost by being dead. That is the senses of what we call "being alive". Touch, taste, smell, etc...

They do also say the two most persistent ghosts are those of persons who "died before there time", and or have/had something to do that went or goes unfinished.

Where death or deaths have occurred due to tragic events also are frequently areas of high "ghost" activity. The battle fields of Europe where so many young men died during WWI and WWII are supposedly full of ghosts.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:15 PM

1,090 posts, read 706,961 times
Death will happen. There might even come a time that you want to die justifiably (e.g., you are miserably ill with a fatal illness; you are a soldier in a war with secrets and the enemy is advancing, etc.)
But it is not to be feared. Often, people are scared of making sure everything is in place for their loved ones after they die. I see my mom already trying to get everything "in place" for me. But she still has a long time to live.
I'm not sure if watching someone die is as disturbing as watching someone struggle to live. Because that can be traumatic.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:35 PM

3,882 posts, read 1,752,599 times
Not gonna worry about the inevitable.
One thing I can control... making sure I don't stick anyone with the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy