Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 04:28 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,258,070 times

Advertisements

Your actions still matter.

Not all attractive people have it easy, and not all "unattractive" people have it hard.

The 50 richest people on earth - Business Insider

Wow. Look at all the hotties on that list.

Just because the Halo Effect might be a thing doesn't excuse you from hard work or even trying just a little bit.

There were plenty of short, what I'd consider unattractive guys get the girls in high school. Why? Because they were outgoing. Because they were able to relate. The only thing they were better at was the social aspect.

And that's mainly how you get ahead in life and around humans is by being social, nice, not negative and brooding.

And to come up with every excuse in the book as to why you're not successful doesn't help. And that's difficult to break.

That's hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 06:59 PM

19,825 posts, read 13,361,179 times
People tend to form snap judgments based on initial impressions and then are very resistant to changing those judgments even in the face of ironclad evidence against them. It is just human nature.

That said, there are people I don't subjectively find attractive but seem to be quite happy and successful and even interesting / attractive. There's not much left of Stephen Hawking physically than a melted lump of vaguely humanoid flesh, but I get the impression he's having the time of his life. [shrug]

Old 11-06-2016, 04:04 PM

876 posts, read 997,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylos View Post
So, I proved you wrong - as you dared.
Not really. Unless you think getting rich is a realistic goal for most people. For all intents and purpose looks<-------everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That said, there are people I don't subjectively find attractive but seem to be quite happy and successful and even interesting / attractive. There's not much left of Stephen Hawking physically than a melted lump of vaguely humanoid flesh, but I get the impression he's having the time of his life. [shrug]
You can be happy even if you aren't good looking, but ONLY if you do some serious soul searching and accept your place in the world.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:40 PM

19,825 posts, read 13,361,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
You can be happy even if you aren't good looking, but ONLY if you do some serious soul searching and accept your place in the world.
You can also be unhappy despite being good looking by general acclamation. I have definitely known very attractive people who were miserable in various ways, or crazy, or sickly or addicted. And even attractive people who are riding high can benefit from "serious soul searching" and mindfulness / acceptance. Because it turns out they are human, with human failings and weaknesses, which are no respecter of persons.

The "halo effect" is real but it is only one factor among countless others into people's subjective happiness and success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy