U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 01:02 AM

4,335 posts, read 1,613,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
Was the stage set without your need? Maybe the universe needs you to pick that money up and so you do. You can look at it as a stroke of luck and free will, or you can look at it as everything was set up that way because it was needed. Whatever choice you seemingly take about the money is the needed one, because it happened.

Maybe actions just fill up time, and the point of life is to fill up a certain amount of time. Personally, I believe that our purpose in life is to expel a certain amount of carbon dioxide to keep the earth in balance. That's it. What we do during that time with our choices does not matter one whit. The earth needs you living on the planet for a predetermined amount of time and everything that happens to you is needed by the earth to keep you alive for that amount of time. Everthing else is irrelevant. You can want, and hope and take action, but if it is not needed for the purpose of you expelling carbon dioxide for your set amount of time then it won't happen.

I think whatever choices we make are needed. That's why there is so much badness in this world and all the religion and morality doesn't really change anything. The bad is needed as well as the good. Judas was needed or else Jesus could not complete his mission. Sometimes murderers need to murder innocent people because those people's carbon dioxide expellation time/duties are complete. How else to explain the unfairness of life?

Thinking more into this philosophy, everyone should be content with whatever happens because it is needed. Every second of your day happens exactly as required and we should all be completely satisified that we are doing what is needed. No more worries, stress or depression that we are doing things wrong or that we aren't doing enough. Basically no feelings at all except satisfaction and contentment that whatever we do or don't do is needed.
Then there should be no justice system.
A person can rob, and kill you, rapes your wife and stabs your dog on his way out because it was all needed? And we all should be happy, content and satisfied with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 07:55 AM

12,890 posts, read 15,376,233 times
Quote:
"No, you can't always get what you want...But if you try sometime you find you get what you need."

So say the Rolling Stones. However, I believe you will NEVER get what you want if it isn't ALSO what you need. Or more precisely, whatever happens in life, to anyone, is what is NEEDED by the Universe and a person's WANTS in the matter are totally irrelevant.

The next question is "how will you know what is needed?" The answer is "whatever ends up happening is what is needed." You can never know that in advance. You may want something to happen in advance, but nothing you can do will ever make that happen. Unless that want coincides with the Universe's need at that moment.

So, you can dream, you can want, you can hope, but you can never need. That occurs without any thought or action by you. Need just is. Need is the present only, it is never the past or future.

Everything is exactly as it should be, because it's needed. Good things, bad things, indifferent things, it doesn't matter. What happens is needed. I'm trying to get my head around that philosophy. Should I have dreams, hopes and wants anymore when none of them come true and what I am is what is needed and will always be? I'm coming to the conclusion that you can still want if you like, but keep those wants in your daydreams and expect nothing. Get up the next day and you will live with needs only.

Does that mean there is no free will? I don't know. Are the needs predetermined? I don't know, but does it really matter? What is, is needed, that's it.
My friend whos just about to become homeless knows what NEED is.
Her need is not near "exactly as it should be"...but as a result of lack of housing and corruption by city officials.
Her only wants are that her needs are met.
I disagree that "need" "just is...need is the present only".....unless the word needed is no longer used.
need can't be the past, but it can come from the past...or from the future.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:49 AM

3,789 posts, read 1,738,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I might want a doughnut, and I might get a doughnut, but I don't think that anyone would ever say that I needed a doughnut -- and I certainly don't think that God or any other force in the universe gives a damn about whether I get a doughnut or not.
I agree, but this is precisely why I lost my faith.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:52 PM

21,635 posts, read 14,232,924 times
Quote:
"No, you can't always get what you want...But if you try sometime you find you get what you need."

So say the Rolling Stones. However, I believe you will NEVER get what you want if it isn't ALSO what you need. Or more precisely, whatever happens in life, to anyone, is what is NEEDED by the Universe and a person's WANTS in the matter are totally irrelevant.

The next question is "how will you know what is needed?" The answer is "whatever ends up happening is what is needed." You can never know that in advance. You may want something to happen in advance, but nothing you can do will ever make that happen. Unless that want coincides with the Universe's need at that moment.

So, you can dream, you can want, you can hope, but you can never need. That occurs without any thought or action by you. Need just is. Need is the present only, it is never the past or future.

Everything is exactly as it should be, because it's needed. Good things, bad things, indifferent things, it doesn't matter. What happens is needed. I'm trying to get my head around that philosophy. Should I have dreams, hopes and wants anymore when none of them come true and what I am is what is needed and will always be? I'm coming to the conclusion that you can still want if you like, but keep those wants in your daydreams and expect nothing. Get up the next day and you will live with needs only.

Does that mean there is no free will? I don't know. Are the needs predetermined? I don't know, but does it really matter? What is, is needed, that's it.
Hmm. So that means that refugees who are underfed in a filthy camp don't need decent food and shelter, because they don't have it?

Your thought process might work fairly well in a first world society, but breaks down elsewhere.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:45 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,454,525 times
Sometimes I think they may have got it backwards. In my personal life, often getting what I want leads to suffering (old Chinese curse.... may you get what you wish for), while getting what I need leads to happiness, or at least to less suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or