U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 01:56 PM

14,189 posts, read 9,033,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
I would also think that it would take being in some kind of personal hell already to become the kinds of individuals that Hitler, etc. were. So adding more hell to their existence seems a rather redundant exercise in futility, and I don't think God would be entertained by such exercises.
Yes indeed. Despots are always living in a paranoid world where they understand at some level that they are weak and despised and that their power is based on denials and fabrications rather than on anything empirical. The people surrounding them are power-grubbing toadies like themselves and they know they can and will be stabbed in the back as soon as someone sees an advantage in it.

Look at Trump and how he has had a running battle with Vogue as well as with a specific Vogue contributor for years because an opinion piece was authored and published that suggested he has small hands. He has written to that author off and on over the years sending photos of his hands circled to show they are not unusually small. And then it spilled over into the news again this week because Vogue published an extremely unfavorable review of one of his restaurants and suggested that Trump himself is "a poor person's idea of what a rich person looks like". They goaded him into another Twitter outburst which they then embraced and are now promoting themselves as "the magazine Trump doesn't want you to read", with the result that they are getting new subscribers.

It's a perfect example of how Trump / Mussolini / Hitler or any other modern Western despot experiences reality. In the East, or the third world, it's probably a little different in the details but still the same basic idea.

So other than the schadenfreude of seeing someone like that get their comeuppance (which will just diminish you in the process of engaging in it), ultimate eternal punishment doesn't undo any harms, right any wrongs, or prevent any recurrence. Most importantly it doesn't rehabilitate the miscreant and turn them into a positive, contributing member of society. Once you remove such a person from power and lock them up where they can't regain it or otherwise inflict themselves on others, you have done all that you can do short of making the effort to cure them of their megalomania, avarice and shamelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 02:46 PM

4,257 posts, read 3,892,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP, if you were of any spirituality, you'd have known that EVERY spiritual system advises on very simple thing.
STOP THINKING.
You are wrong.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
We ALL deserve hell.
Sin is rebellion against God.
Everything on this planet that was created by a human comes with an owners manual on how to operate it.
It is rather foolish to think the complexities of life and the human body came without an owners manual.
The manual is the bible.
People can come up with a million alternatives , but the creator said something that is sooo true......it's appointed that EVERY man MUST die and face judgement.
There are eternal ramifications for EVERY person's decision.
One sin WILL keep you out of eternal life with the creator. Just one.
And the creator said.....even your thoughts are sin.
Personally, I don't understand how one could risk eternity for the madness they come with these days, and evolution is one of them.
So little time people, so little time.
...and for somebody outside of abrahamic faiths, or a different belief system- this don't apply...

Old 12-17-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I know many people don't believe in a hell, but for the sake or argument there is and there are people that will spend all of eternity facing eternal damnation of pure pain and suffering burning in the lake of fire forever do you think it's really wrong to think there are some that deserve it? In my case more generally I think of pedophiles, rapists, serial killers. And more personally Nixon, Bill & Hillary clinton, Angela Merkel, George W Bush, ISIS leaders, Hitler, Stalin, etc.

If, indeed all of them were to suffer eternal suffering and I was happy to know they did do you think that would be wrong no matter how much they all justifiably deserved it?
You're right, it doesn't exist in my belief system, but as far as ones where it does; it seems that sometimes I think that one would end up in hell if they strongly believed they deserved to go. Or like guilted themselves they deserved it, but I guess that's part of repentance. I mean if somebodys god is so forgiving and you repented, would you still go to hell, unless you believed you deserved such a fate? Or would you hafta raise his ire enough to make him go ye olde testiment on your ass?

Old 12-17-2016, 09:42 PM

1,440 posts, read 3,709,474 times
Personally my belief system doesn't make allowances for anything more when we're done than nothing, blank, gone, poof. But, I'll play along since it's a slow night.

The wife's family lost a couple of folks this year. One in particular had a long history of accomplishing absolutely nothing whatsoever during the time he had here on Earth. Other than being a lifelong drunk, lifelong addict, lifelong wife beater, lifelong unemployed welfare bum and, within family circles, being a child rapist. They all cried when he was laid out. I quietly told a few "insiders", who understand my strange sense of humor, that I'm sure they were celebrating in the afterworld this day. "Huh?" they asked. I explained the Devil and his band of demons were no doubt having a high time awaiting his arrival on the downbound train.

My teen years as a Southern Baptist were quite interesting. I remember the hellfire sermons on how the unclean were doomed to eternal hell where they would burn for the ages while creatures of all sort would eat away at their bodies. Please, after a few hundred years of that you'd no doubt get used to it. You'd complain that it was too cold and you'd start naming the creatures. Oh, I am rotten ain't I?

Do some people deserve extreme punishment for their deeds? Yes, of course. But after they're gone it is simply too late.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:53 PM

6,415 posts, read 9,916,525 times
Quote:
If, indeed all of them were to suffer eternal suffering and I was happy to know they did do you think that would be wrong no matter how much they all justifiably deserved it?
Well going to Hell isn't a matter of it being justifiable. It's a personal choice that one makes. Everyone who resides there, chose to be there.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:18 PM

35,096 posts, read 10,364,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
If anyone deserves it, I'd say someone with so much hatred in their heart to wish eternal torment on someone else.

^^This.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:56 AM

676 posts, read 329,274 times
Quote:
I know many people don't believe in a hell, but for the sake or argument there is and there are people that will spend all of eternity facing eternal damnation of pure pain and suffering burning in the lake of fire forever do you think it's really wrong to think there are some that deserve it? In my case more generally I think of pedophiles, rapists, serial killers. And more personally Nixon, Bill & Hillary clinton, Angela Merkel, George W Bush, ISIS leaders, Hitler, Stalin, etc.

No. But, my morality may be different than yours. In fact, it probably is different since morality is subjective and individual. There is plenty of overlap for sure, but no two people feel exactly the same way about what is right and what is wrong even people who share the same religious beliefs.

I personally don't believe that thoughts alone are immoral, but rather how we act on those thoughts. Now that doesn't mean that thoughts are not harmful just not immoral.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:17 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,160,372 times
Hell does not exist. No one, no matter how evil their actions, deserves eternal suffering. People who commit heinous crimes do so for reasons we cannot understand; environmental neglect and abuse, brain abnormalities and who knows what else. That does not excuse their deeds but, subjecting someone to eternal suffering would in itself be the most evil deed to commit a person to. So, if you believe in a god, only an inherently evil god would subject anyone to eternal suffering.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:18 AM

5,560 posts, read 4,961,738 times
Hell....

Man judges Man
God judges Man?
Man writes bible (thinking man) Some how we have bought into this idea that god "wrote" the bible. Asking why we all believe that is part the need to be controlled and purpose as a human. Its easier then having to question what something means.

Thinking man rewrites bible, and different versions and different religions.
Their is life and death, how and or what happens is the thinking man looking for answers which is heaven and hell concept.
This is just the reminder we are are not GODS no matter how much we think we are.
After we rewrite the laws of science over the next 1000 years we will get closer to pretending we actually know anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or