U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:23 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,082,927 times

Advertisements

If we're talking morally, then lying and going on vacation and using a sick day and shop lifting should feel equally as wrong to the agent. In this case it's as simple as lying and stealing.

However if we're talking practically, there is much more nuance to sick days, especially stemming from the stigma of mental health.

There are some days where I'm either exhausted, had a previous bad day or need a break, and a sick day allows me to do that.

This time off both benefits me and the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 12:07 PM

4,960 posts, read 3,168,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Can one argue that "stealing time" from an employer is morally acceptable while stealing goods is not?
Well then, is it acceptable for a company offering PTO and NOT buying it back at the end of the year and TAKING it back?

I get 6 days sick a year and 2 weeks off (Vacation pay) and 10 paid holidays a year. HOWEVER I will lose out on 4 sick days due to the company taking BACK those 4 days I didn't use.

So, is THAT fair?

Old 12-05-2016, 01:55 PM

36,940 posts, read 45,376,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
So far I have over 600 hours of sick leave, and only used 16 hours in a year and a half..

I am 60 and rarely get sick. The young people in my office, that's another story. Maybe it's their kids bringing home viruses or something.
Knock on wood, but I have found that now that I'm in my 60s, I never get sick anymore. It's been years and years since I've had cold. I used to work in a bank, touching filthy money all day, and now I volunteer at a germy grade school. I can't understand it, except I've had everything in the past, so I have good immunity.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:31 PM

13,841 posts, read 25,215,602 times
PTO is PTO no matter what it is used for. You have X hours per year. Stealing would be finding a way to get more than the X hours to which you are entitled.

Not even close to being the same as walking into a retail store and stealing something.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:17 PM

11,898 posts, read 20,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I knew a woman who never called in sick. She had more than 200 sick days saved up. She'd come to work even when she was coughing and sneezing all over the place.

But then the company sold out to another. The new company didn't honor our sick time. It didn't have to. The rest of us employees lost but a few saved sick days. She lost all 200 days of it.

She couldn't understand why we had no sympathy.
I've never heard of that. We accrued sick time one hour for eight hours worked. And after we accrued 2 weeks we stopped accruing.

What are you going to do with 200 days?

Old 12-06-2016, 07:38 PM

3,252 posts, read 1,294,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've never heard of that. We accrued sick time one hour for eight hours worked. And after we accrued 2 weeks we stopped accruing.

Do what a lot of public sector workers do: cash them in at retirement -- in essence, call in sick for your etire last year of work.

Private-sector employers of course tend not to allow this scam, so for most in the private sector it's use 'em or lose 'em.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:08 PM

6,511 posts, read 3,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

When it is really sick leave and not personal time it is part of your insurance package. When you accrue leave at two weeks a year many who stay with one employer like government workers stay in paid status for months in case of a catastrophic illness. Those who use their sick leave up as they go should they face catastrophe depend upon the charity of others donating some of their vacation leave pay or just go without pay.

Because you are made to prove it when you use sick leave there is now a push to pay off unused sick leave as they pay off unused vacation leave at retirement to stop older workers from burning their leave in their last months on elective surgeries

Old 12-06-2016, 11:55 PM

11,898 posts, read 20,305,026 times
Very interesting! Thanks for the info. Being self employed now, I work. I pretty much am solo, so unless I'm dead on my feet I work.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:11 AM

1,190 posts, read 651,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Calling in sick when you're healthy isn't stealing time. You either have the PTO or sick time available to you, in which case you're using up what you are entitled to (even if the reason isn't justified). That means the employee won't have it available if they truly get sick later. If the employer doesn't pay sick time, the employee doesn't get paid when they are off the clock anyway, so in that scenario, they aren't stealing time either.
Exactly

Old 12-07-2016, 12:14 AM

1,190 posts, read 651,103 times
It doesn't matter what they call it, PTO (my company) or Sick time, that is symantics.

Use what you've earned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or