Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times

Advertisements

Schopenhauer! Where have I heard his name before? Hard telling. I remember James but that was psychology. Years and years ago, too. There was another along with James. Can't remember.

Thank you, Mordant. It's a start. That's all I need. Shall also check out Becker.

I appreciate all the answers. Hazel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 09:54 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
After taking a very intensive and difficult elective philosophy class as an undergrad, philosophy grads have my respect. Two of my smartest friends are philosophy undergrads. One became a lawyer. The other runs a business in the Northeast.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:19 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
After taking a very intensive and difficult elective philosophy class as an undergrad, philosophy grads have my respect. Two of my smartest friends are philosophy undergrads. One became a lawyer. The other runs a business in the Northeast.
I think I agree as far as the professional ones are concerned. It would be good to hear from them from the philosophy side but most are probably overwhelmed with their careers.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:51 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
Philosophy has traditionally been a college major for rich kids, who don't need to learn trades. Or who will be granted a place in the family business once they graduate from college. It has never been intended to be a career. I knew someone who got a PhD in philosophy because he wanted to be a professor. That is likely the only thing you can do with a degree in this field.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:41 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Professions are not defined by what degree one has. Professions are defined by what can you do or provide that someone else is willing to pay for. Full stop.

If you can find someone willing to pay you to do nothing but sit there and tell them your philosophy, then that is your "philosophy profession". If you cannot find someone willing to pay you for that, then you cannot have a philosophy "profession", rather you have a philosophy "hobby".

Old 12-09-2016, 02:21 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Philosophy is a walk on a slippery rock.
Religion? Is a smile on a dog.

But I'm not aware of to many things...

Old 12-09-2016, 07:56 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Philosophy has traditionally been a college major for rich kids, who don't need to learn trades. Or who will be granted a place in the family business once they graduate from college. It has never been intended to be a career. I knew someone who got a PhD in philosophy because he wanted to be a professor. That is likely the only thing you can do with a degree in this field.
Sorry, you're wrong about that. I know several dirt-poor young Philosophy PhDs, building a brave career by teaching classes at different schools. You bet it's a career. Why would you think a philosopher would necessarily want to do something other than teach & write? Teaching at the college level is a career!

Old 12-10-2016, 02:45 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
No, it's not a profession. I suppose someone could teach philosophy and call that a profession, but in that case the actual profession would be teacher. To say you're a philosopher is not akin to saying you're a poet, artist, etc. In those endeavors something is actually produced, whether that be of a negative or positive value. A philosophy is simply one person's idea on how to live. It could be a calling or a title (The Eminent Philosopher), but at some point that philosophy has to produce something tangible in the world. If you write on it, then you're a writer (of philosophy). If you speak on it, you're a speaker or lecturer (of philosophy).

If you live it it's your life. No actual philosopher would have any interest in teaching it because it cannot be taught. If we simply follow another's philosophy then we actually do not have a philosophy, we are simply mimicking someone else's. Books and internet information are so easily accessible that it's child's play to read of others philosophies, so why would you teach it, other than to pick up a check and/or get the ego strokes for being a teacher? People have to evolve their own philosophies. While that may initially include basing theirs on someone else's, again, why do they need a teacher to tell them to open a specific book and read it, or have that teacher give their personal interpretation of it? That would be a fool's game, someone philosophizing on someone else's philosophy. Which is my opinion of what passes for 99% of US college "education".

Last edited by smarino; 12-10-2016 at 03:02 AM..

Old 12-12-2016, 02:01 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
It is espousing BS, and being paid to do so.
too casual of a dismissal for my liking

Old 12-12-2016, 08:44 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,845 times
The philosopher is a man who could become very rich, it is sufficient to found a new religion to influence the thinking of the poor social classes and the trick is done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy