Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 04:36 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
It works the other way around too. When women do bad things (like abandon their children) it's seen as ten times worse than if a man does it. When girls form violent gangs, it's seen as the beginning of the collapse of society. Why do you think that is?
some things wont change....much

women are the nesters, the caring, the softer gender...

but sometimes women are the most critical of other women,,,not the men

say a couple has a family gathering,,,,, and the house is a mess...do the older women blame the man??? no they blame the woman of the house,,,

if the kids are dirty/dirty clothes/faces...they blame the mother..

as bill burr (the comedian) said,,,,,,if theirs a noise in the night,,,,and a possible burglar.....its the man going down first,, followed far behind by the woman,,,,and hes putting himself in the most danger,,, and hes pyssed at his wife cause she wouldnt let him have a gun for just these situations

if the car has a flat tire,,,its the man changing it (expected)

ill admit im a bit sexist,,,,,,if we were in survival mode,,,,,,,id put it upon myself to provide for the family,,,to protect,,,feed,, etc.

ive never allowed a lady to pay for dinner..

there are some inequalities of the genders
go to a mall.....a woman can spend half a day looking at colors and coordinates,,,,rugs curtains,,,,,men hate this crap... we'd rather be looking at fishing stuff.... which most women dont care about

in the big picture... of equality

women today young women,,,have more choices and options than ever before..

at least in this country,,
before 1970's most women did not work outside the house,,,now most do,,,,,,and they are independent,,,,,,,wasnt like that for our grandmothers and their parents/grandparents

we had our circle of friends/couples when my son was younger,,,...all professional women,,,,,,,from nurses to lawyers,,...and their was one stay at home mother ,,

and the other working moms dropping their kids off for child-care,,all envied that stay at home mom.....the sahm did not have the nice suv's or fly away on vacations like the working moms did,,,,but she chose to be the sahm.....she went to college to be a teacher..

many of the so called professional women seem to always feel guilty dropping their young kids off,, or working so many hours
i asked this sahm if she was envious of the working moms,,,,she said no because it was her choice... and she will probly home school her kids..
but
if she had kids earlier and not able to go to college then yes,,,she would have been jealous of them...because she never had that choie or option..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 05:14 AM

34 posts, read 22,196 times
No matter what, there are things that just won't change, even if there are noticeable differences. For example, a woman who may be older can be viewed as less desirable than a younger woman, or a person in general. However, in a case such as mine where I am 30 and my fiance is 42 I'm sure in your example it would be viewed as better for me to die than my fiance.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:13 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I know two marriages (one traditional Catholic and one Mormon) where the men ruled the roost and pestered their wives for more children. In both cases, the women divorced the men after four or five children. They had had enough. In each case, the men were devastated at the loss of their wives, but the women were relieved after divorcing such bossy men. I mean, the guys seemed really nice and thoughtful, but they felt the Bible gave them the right to get their wives to submit.
I've seen plenty of such marriages, and trust me -- more of them were non-Catholic and non-Mormon than were Catholic and Mormon.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:14 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
So you're a selfish then, essentially, in the relationship. I'm sure he had no problem catering to you after a day's work. Relationships go both ways, but there are still roles in them, which you clearly have a problem with.

Would you also hate catering to your child after a hard day's work?
He probably didn't cater to her as well. Why do you assume he does.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:00 AM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
Men and women are different like apples and oranges.

One is not better then the other unless you prefer apples and you are an apple too, and all the apples are in the same basket. You might be an orange hater. That's fine.

We are different but one is not better then the other.

I was the breadwinner and the apple stayed home with the little seedlings. That is happening more and more..

Usually it is the orange who tends to the seedlings, whether they work or not. They do sprout and have more of a orange instinct but the apples sometimes do their share if they don't roll away.

When and Orange gets squished and leaves an apple alone with the seedling..Oh my goodness, what a hero he is. What a brave apple to take care of the seedling all by himself. He is a noble apple.

If an Orange is lonely and has seedlings to raise, she is a pariah almost, or maybe a dirty orange.

The original point has merit but it is not one sided. It works the other way too.

I don't know what the word equal means. Apples and oranges are not the same but I think the term 'not equal' is supposed to mean that one fruit is inferior.

That is not true. Some apples are rotten to the core. What is superior about that? Some oranges are sour. It depends on the individual fruit.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:42 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Here's a question, we say men and women are equal in value in life. Yet whenever something bad happens to a woman society and people in general view it as worse. We still have the "women and children first" mentality. Now while granted I fully understand why children - both boys and girls should be given precedent why women over men?

With so many people in the world it's absurd to use the excuse "Well, women are needed to make babies!" also, isn't women being NOT primarily viewed as child bearers what feminists want? So in short, say there was a war, shouldn't women be viewed as disposable as men always have?

They are now letting women into combat positions in the military, so for example if a woman gets captured then tortured as bad as it is and while certainly everything should be done to rescue her, would it not be viewed as worse if the same happened to a captured man?

If I was in charge of a force of men and women and the women ask to go on the same assignments as the men, I'd let them, but if anything happened, I'd be dragged through the mud for letting them do such a dangerous thing, even if the women knew and accepted the risks.
In my experiences men are the ones who support and try to enforce these gender roles and double standards far more than women do. All you have to do is look on any thread here discussing a female teacher having sexual relations with their underaged male students. All the women who post on those threads find it disgusting and want the female teacher to be punished to the same extent as if it were a male teacher in the same position. The male posters on the other hand often think that the female teachers in question should get a slap on the wrist at worst and shouldn't be punished at best.

And the men who are in favor of a lot of these double standards are more traditional minded men so if you have any complaints take it up with them.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:22 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Here's a question, we say men and women are equal in value in life. Yet whenever something bad happens to a woman society and people in general view it as worse. We still have the "women and children first" mentality. Now while granted I fully understand why children - both boys and girls should be given precedent why women over men?
Because anything else is counter-intuitive & you know it.

Nobody can give you a valid answer as to why it should be this way because there is no factual, hard-science evidence as to why it should. It defys logic; some things do.

Have you ever known a guy that just "gave you the creeps"? That every time he came around, you just got that feeling like something was"off" with him but it wasn't anything you could quite put your finger on? Would knowing something factual, like "No previous felony convictions" REALLY be able to shake your discomfort or would you remain "on gaurd"?

"Women & children first" is just one of those things that is "right" even in the absence of proof.

Quote:
With so many people in the world it's absurd to use the excuse "Well, women are needed to make babies!" also, isn't women being NOT primarily viewed as child bearers what feminists want? So in short, say there was a war, shouldn't women be viewed as disposable as men always have?
The term "Femi-Nazi" is likely not accidental in the context that similar to the Third Reich; it's founding motives & actions were beneficial in the relief of disadvantaged peoples.

I'm sure that the early feminists did see the need for for all women to have equal access to "life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness"... And then, just like Nazi Germany; something went very wrong. What started as popular support for positive change de-evolved into hysteria, anger & demands for totalitarian control fueled by "male privilige" conspiracy theory.

We have "Come a long way, Baby" (very unfortunate) ... straight from the deck of the HMS Birkenhead to the sinking SS Arctic.

Quote:
They are now letting women into combat positions in the military, so for example if a woman gets captured then tortured as bad as it is and while certainly everything should be done to rescue her, would it not be viewed as worse if the same happened to a captured man?

If I was in charge of a force of men and women and the women ask to go on the same assignments as the men, I'd let them, but if anything happened, I'd be dragged through the mud for letting them do such a dangerous thing, even if the women knew and accepted the risks.
Oh, now; this, again, is wrong & you know it.

You don't want me on the front lines with you. I don't want to be on the front lines with you & I don't want my daughters on the front lines with you. If there are women out there that mistakenly think this is a great idea; they had better start practicing wrapping those Hijabs right now because IRL; this won't work. If you want your social change, equality & platform of freedom of speech you will not support having women in combat.

The reality is that as much as having to fight a battle WITH women can undermine a battle; what is the reality that male soldiers will be led INTO battle by a woman? According to research done involving U.S. troops deployed after 9/11; (From Co-ed Combat: The New Evidence that Women Shouldn't Fight the Nation's Wars By Kingsley Browne)

" ... I spoke with a Marine Platoon commander who had conducted a survey of his Marine Reserve infantry company for a course he was taking. He found that 89% of the approximately 200 men opposed the opening of ground combat to women."

And even worse: " ...Laura Miller found that most of the men who favored opening combat roles to women on the same terms as men favored it only because they believed that women would fail. These men, whom Miller labeled as "Hostile Proponents" of women in combat also believed that inclusion & ultimate failure of women was necessary to obtain closure on the issue."

Any person with a brain has to question what could happen to women fighting on a unit where the only people that want them there; have a desire to see them become a statistic.

Speaking of statistics ... Right now, here in the U.S. I (as a woman) am 98 times as likely to die from domestic violence than I am from combat. Literally; the number of women killed during deployment since 9/11 is 166. The number of women killed by DV since 9/11 has been over 16,000.

Is there any reason why desensitizing young males to violence against women sounds like a great idea?

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fvv.pdf

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R42075.pdf

Old 02-03-2017, 04:30 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Men and women are not different in equality.

You are thinking that YOUR gender is somehow better, because it's, well because it's YOUR gender.

But both genders are equal as to the law and in importance and worth, and advantages and disadvantages in different situations.

There are biological differences between the genders, and between races. That has nothing to do with equality under the law. We are all equal. Viva la difference.
I don't put much stock into what the law says

Old 02-03-2017, 03:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

Because women are physically weaker, and therefore more vulnerable. You can tell the difference between social, economic, and workplace equality, vs. physical equality, right? You can acknowledge that a pregnant woman would need help, and isn't equal to a healthy adult male, right?

I'm not sure why that would be confusing for you. How old are, you, OP?

Old 02-03-2017, 05:33 PM

8 posts, read 3,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
What does it even mean for men and women to be EQUAL anyway? Aside from human nature things like emotions, the need to be loved/accepted, etc. how can they be equal when they are so different? They look different, can do different things, have different expectations based on their physiology and genetics.
You answered the question in one sentence;

Men/Women"They look different, can do different things, have different expectations based on their physiology and genetics"

Enough Said!! This is a very simple question that people would love to complicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy