Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 04:57 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times

Advertisements

Philosophy is "the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline."

Usually, interesting philosophical topics are about the above, not so much about why someone would consider it.

In other words, if you're such a deep thinker, what are some of your deep thoughts? Just stating you are a deep thinker without explaining how, is actually unphilosophical because it's logical fallacy - mostly argument by assertion, but also maybe hasty generalization.

Last edited by SuperSoul; 02-15-2017 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 02:08 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
I think "philosophical" has often been my label, and in the sense of inquisitive and ruminative I'd say it's accurate. But how did I get that way, I wonder.

I was an only child, so I did have more time alone than my friends. But, I grew up in a neighborhood (until about 8 or 9) where there were many kids my age and I played with them all the time. So, I wasn't a dreamy loner back then.

My parents both did rather poorly in school, it had even been suggested to my father by his school that he might like to leave when he came of the legal age. He did. Neither were especially curious and had fixed opinions about everything. My mother was a study in the mind-as-concrete, and in my early years I spent most of my time with her.

I learned to read at a very early age and loved to read. I also loved to listen to adult conversations, and I concluded at a very, very early age that most of them had major screws loose and often did not tell the truth (in part, I think, I did not grasp the adult need for courtesy and avoiding conflict, etc.) When I got to school, after being almost literally dragged there screaming and crying, I loved it. And after that I was off and running with why, why and how, etc.

When I was in my very early teen my mother's sister once remarked, apropos this bent of mine - "I just don't understand how you are your parent's child." When I reached my late teens or early twenties I can remember two of my parents' friends making very similar remarks. But I really don't see an early influence, maybe it was a genetic glitch....it doesn't seem to have an off button.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think "philosophical" has often been my label, and in the sense of inquisitive and ruminative I'd say it's accurate. But how did I get that way, I wonder.

I was an only child, so I did have more time alone than my friends. But, I grew up in a neighborhood (until about 8 or 9) where there were many kids my age and I played with them all the time. So, I wasn't a dreamy loner back then.

My parents both did rather poorly in school, it had even been suggested to my father by his school that he might like to leave when he came of the legal age. He did. Neither were especially curious and had fixed opinions about everything. My mother was a study in the mind-as-concrete, and in my early years I spent most of my time with her.

I learned to read at a very early age and loved to read. I also loved to listen to adult conversations, and I concluded at a very, very early age that most of them had major screws loose and often did not tell the truth (in part, I think, I did not grasp the adult need for courtesy and avoiding conflict, etc.) When I got to school, after being almost literally dragged there screaming and crying, I loved it. And after that I was off and running with why, why and how, etc.

When I was in my very early teen my mother's sister once remarked, apropos this bent of mine - "I just don't understand how you are your parent's child." When I reached my late teens or early twenties I can remember two of my parents' friends making very similar remarks. But I really don't see an early influence, maybe it was a genetic glitch....it doesn't seem to have an off button.
Wow, you and I were pretty much alike as kids....I so enjoyed being around adults...
the only difference between us was, I grew up without a father, never knew him and my mother was very abusive both physically and mentally.

However, I had a very good childhood otherwise, as there were so many positive influences in my life...and yes, my foster mom used to always smile at me, pat me on the head and say, "God has his eyes on you"?
But she was right, so many times I escaped death or accidents where I could have really been hurt.

My neighborhood was all boys, and we all played so many outdoor sports....ours was a small town, and we rode out bikes everywhere at very young ages....I was 8 years old and already on the swim team, and before that, we had a wading pool in the park where I used to go swimming in the summer, by myself, on my bike? Whole different world then, and our worlds were much bigger...

I remember my younger foster sister and I going to the NY World's Fair, alone...on a bus trip....so?

It was a good childhood for me, but I still enjoyed alone time....

Even challenged my minister during confirmation classes....and he told me to "shut up and sit down"....lol
I don't believe he knew the answer to my question....but....I knew about sex at a very early age....I think we all did back then...and I asked him "why", and this question was always very puzzeling to me, if Jesus was half human, then why didn't God, his father, gift Jesus with the opportunity to know the marvelous gift of sex between a man and woman and having children?" And that's when he told me to sit down and shut up...

but that's what I mean about thinking deeper then most people from a very young age.

I can actually remember lying in my crib....and sitting in my high chair, and the dish I had...b/c the dish was so interesting to me....I couldn't talk, but remember sitting there and constantly studying that baby dish. I asked my maternal mother about things that I remember happening, and she was shocked saying, "you remember that?"

I guess my brain was over acting at an early age. LOL

Used to love and sit and watch people and hear the stories they had to tell....

Old 02-18-2017, 07:07 AM

270 posts, read 198,329 times
What's your Meyers-Brigg Personality Type, OP?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:10 AM

270 posts, read 198,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
2. Ignorant fool. Ignorant fool is a learned fool, who believes he is knows everything or a lot and is ignorant of his foolishness, as he knows nothing. He is "too headed". He lost the child ability to accept world as it is, happiness it gives as it is, now he does nothing but is looking for "answers". And every answer brings only more questions.
Adam and Eve became ignorant fools, when they took from the fruit of knowledge. As such, they "lost paradise" - ability to be happy in reality as it is. They became like you are, OP.
If reality was "fine and dandy", there would be no need to "think" about it.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:35 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BougNeg1 View Post
What's your Meyers-Brigg Personality Type, OP?
I have no idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy