Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:29 PM

130 posts, read 105,130 times

Advertisements

I challenge you to tell me one thing in life that isn't just consumption and reproduction. I'm so sick of this meaningless existence that is manipulated by my DNA to consume for the end goal of reproduction (mindless self-replication, thereby imposing this meaningless existence onto another innocent soul). It is always better to never have been born into such an existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 08:09 PM

59 posts, read 56,522 times
You seem to be cursed with a very superficial and reductive view of human nature. Do you really believe that reproduction is self-replication? Might it not be a way of renewing the self instead?

Abstract thought is a "thing" that has nothing to do with consumption, etc. Few pursuits are more rewarding or inspiring.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:56 PM

18,875 posts, read 27,319,253 times
Look at the seven chakras. Animals do not have 7. They have only 2. Mulhatar and Swadistan. Mulhatar is the sex chakra. Birth is coming from Mulhatar. Swadistan is death chakra. In Japanese it is known as "hara", hence hara-kiri.
What Mulhatar gives, Swadistan takes away.
Animals live only between the two chakras - Mulhatar and Swadistan. They give birth, they have sex, they eat, they die.
Unfortunately, majority of humans live the same way. They do not go past the second chakra, Swadistan. They give birth, they have sex, they eat, they die.
In that respect yes, OP, you are right.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:04 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,011,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
I challenge you to tell me one thing in life that isn't just consumption and reproduction. I'm so sick of this meaningless existence that is manipulated by my DNA to consume for the end goal of reproduction (mindless self-replication, thereby imposing this meaningless existence onto another innocent soul). It is always better to never have been born into such an existence.
Yes, life is inane in a way (and never being born would be better is a reasonable response), but what about the absurd humor of it? That counts for something.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:41 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,332,464 times
Quote:
Existence cannot be superior to nonexistence...if nothing has ever existed. Existence can sometimes be inferior to nonexistence.

Anti-natalists translate this to mean that never having existed is always superior to existing.

I like anti-natalists because they think outside the box, and I get a warm and fuzzy feeling in my mind and heart whenever I hear about that type of person. I think they're wrong though. Nonexistence can only be superior to existence after you already exist, and then only in certain circumstances, very unpleasant, prolonged, circumstances I'd say. After you already exist though, there exist the chance for other more positive circumstances that can make up for these negative chances though. This is not to say that life is superior to nonexistence for the individual experiencing the living, even if you experience a life that's as happy as can be. I would say it's more like the two states of existence and nonexistence are so different that they can't be compared like that. Saying nonexistence is superior to existence, at least before you exist, wouldn't work because there'd be nothing to experience that superiority.

So, I think anti-natalists are wrong, and I have to do some mental gymnastics to figure out how I think they're wrong...but I would say their form of mental gymnastics is the less correct...because they seem to be taking the view that nonexistence is somehow superior to existence, if you never exist, but if you never exist there'd be no one to experience that "better."

Also, I would say that if other life forms exist, the existence of new life can be superior to nonexistence, even if the creation of the first life could be described as a negative thing, because it's possible for the existence of new life to assist existing life.

I take the view that creating new life is fine so long as it assists existing life, and I wouldn't see the creation of the first life as necessarily negative either, but neutral.

I would say that most things we do, we don't do for procreation and consumption. Instead we do everything to experience positive feedback and avoid negative feedback. That's why we have birth control. Sometimes, it's actually in our species' interest to avoid reproduction. I do think a lot of our dreams and goals center around reproduction though. Why do we fantasize about being remembered? Why do so many people fantasize about humanity continuing onward for billions of years as intergalactic civilization. Is this another form of procreation? Another way to continue or replicate ourselves them that appeals to us because of some deep drive to do so?

Last edited by Clintone; 02-03-2017 at 06:55 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 11:31 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,250,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Existence cannot be superior to nonexistence...if nothing has ever existed. Existence can sometimes be inferior to nonexistence.

Anti-natalists translate this to mean that never having existed is always superior to existing.

I like anti-natalists because they think outside the box, and I get a warm and fuzzy feeling in my mind and heart whenever I hear about that type of person. I think they're wrong though. Nonexistence can only be superior to existence after you already exist, and then only in certain circumstances, very unpleasant, prolonged, circumstances I'd say. After you already exist though, there exist the chance for other more positive circumstances that can make up for these negative chances though. This is not to say that life is superior to nonexistence for the individual experiencing the living, even if you experience a life that's as happy as can be. I would say it's more like the two states of existence and nonexistence are so different that they can't be compared like that. Saying nonexistence is superior to existence, at least before you exist, wouldn't work because there'd be nothing to experience that superiority.

So, I think anti-natalists are wrong, and I have to do some mental gymnastics to figure out how I think they're wrong...but I would say their form of mental gymnastics is the less correct...because they seem to be taking the view that nonexistence is somehow superior to existence, if you never exist, but if you never exist there'd be no one to experience that "better."

Also, I would say that if other life forms exist, the existence of new life can be superior to nonexistence, even if the creation of the first life could be described as a negative thing, because it's possible for the existence of new life to assist existing life.

I take the view that creating new life is fine so long as it assists existing life, and I wouldn't see the creation of the first life as necessarily negative either, but neutral.

I would say that most things we do, we don't do for procreation and consumption. Instead we do everything to experience positive feedback and avoid negative feedback. That's why we have birth control. Sometimes, it's actually in our species' interest to avoid reproduction. I do think a lot of our dreams and goals center around reproduction though. Why do we fantasize about being remembered? Why do so many people fantasize about humanity continuing onward for billions of years as intergalactic civilization. Is this another form of procreation? Another way to continue or replicate ourselves them that appeals to us because of some deep drive to do so?

I always look to the irony of anti-natalists as having a consciousness to be able to dispute in the first place.

Our entire universe contains matter that is "born" and "dies." That in itself is a universal truth.

But we as humans have this thing called consciousness that provides us the ability to grow, learn and change with in the confines of our humanness.

If we choose to not have children, or to kill ourselves that's our choice. If we choose to appreciate the recognition of our universe for the split second of a millennia that we are aware, then I think that is a tremendously beautiful thing. REGARDLESS of whether or not I even have philosophical free will. It's still cool to be along for the ride.

My wife and I had a child because of a parental drive both socially and biologically. But it was also a rational choice. It is an amazing experience raising a child; seeing them learn and grow and be curious about everything. It is truly magical.

There is no moral imperative that states I must deny my humanness. Being rational and reductive denies the very essence of who we are.

It's a very sad and soulless world you're currently in OP, and I hope things get better for you.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:46 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,514,311 times
Quote:
The easy fix there is not to pass your DNA on. I mean, you really shouldn't be a parent anyway.

Carry on imagining what a "meaningful existence" would be

Old 02-03-2017, 12:48 PM

215 posts, read 281,202 times
You are looking for a "Purpose" in life. That concept has been programmed into you by other humans. There is no "Purpose', no meaning, and no point, if you wish. Life (all living things) is, itself, about life. It works its way into an environment and propagates.

Humans are no more special that any other organism, though they think they are. (Squirrels probably think they're ultimately special as well.) We come up with what we consider advanced thinking but it's only purpose is to communicate with other humans. Mathematics, the most delusional form of communications, is a prime example. The universe cares not a whit about it. It only serves to describe the universe to other humans. Planets do not use Pi (the irrational number) plotting their orbits.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:04 PM

9,344 posts, read 6,901,027 times
Humor

go to a comedy club and listen... creation of a unique idea or concept can be occasionally found at such a place.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:51 PM

1,858 posts, read 1,637,507 times
“If I convince myself that this life has no other aspect than that of the absurd, if I feel that its whole equilibrium depends on that perpetual opposition between my conscious revolt and the darkness in which it struggles, if I admit that my freedom has no meaning except in relation to its limited fate, then I must say that what counts is not the best living but the most living.”- Albert Camus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy