Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:21 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I hope to be gone from this Earth long before I become any sort of burden on society, by my own hand if my quality of life decreases and the level of support I need increases. My conscience is clear, and the lack of a family will make my decision easy if and when.
I like your attitude. I hope when it's time you have the means and the courage to do it. Society, unfortunately, does not make easy for individuals who decide to follow this path.

Last edited by davidt1; 03-28-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 11:56 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufalian View Post
There are two friends of me who choose not to have kids,while they are already nearly 40,and they said they may not have kids for the rest of their lives.
I think they must have no idea of why as a life should have progeny of their own,no matter whither they like kids or not.Because our bodies as a life will be old and finaly die,so produce new bodies to replace this one of us is absolutely necessary.And must to do so when your body are young and strong enough.

Is it for the lack of this understanding that they choose not to have children?
I think if someone especially a couple have decided together not to have kids, then that is they're decision, and really not in your place to judge or decide they are wrong. What is right for you, isn't right for everyone.

People don't do things for one reason, but for many or you might end up being on the outside looking in.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:55 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Personally I don't feel that everyone's genes are so special that they need to be propagated.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:29 PM

110 posts, read 97,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Actually this is where your premise falls apart and why your thread this thread is being held under scrutiny. To most people, the individual experiences and memories gained through life is in their view what gives life meaning and therefore is the essence of life.

The explanation you give is simply a biological overview of how someone comes into existence.

Our society was built to put a check on our biological impulses because they if they are allowed to run unchecked they can be harmful to us.

People have pent up aggression and desire to dominate, that is probably why sports were created.

When people have children they are expected to spend a great deal of time and energy in raising their children and caring for them.

Some people realize this, understand they may not be cut out for it and forgo having children.
The consequence of the people going against their body is doubtlessly,as I said before, the gradual ending of their lives involuntarily.
It is impossible for one to enjoy life and at the same time cut out the burden of raising children could avoid that consequence.Its the price that choosing to be childless must pay.and the price are much heavier than what they could gain from their childfree lives.
'They just neglected the fact that such a thing as a 'free' lunch never existed.'

Old 03-29-2017, 08:16 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufalian View Post
The consequence of the people going against their body is doubtlessly,as I said before, the gradual ending of their lives involuntarily.
It is impossible for one to enjoy life and at the same time cut out the burden of raising children could avoid that consequence.Its the price that choosing to be childless must pay.and the price are much heavier than what they could gain from their childfree lives.
'They just neglected the fact that such a thing as a 'free' lunch never existed.'
The planet has enough people. There's parents out there who have more than enough kids to make up for me not having one.

What "price" am I paying?

I've never felt that twinge...or whatever it is when ladies say that they feel their "biological clock ticking".

I think some kids are cute, hilarious, and interesting. I also know it's a LOT of work...well, I don't "know" since I never had one, but boy do parents like to tell us how much work it is, how exhausted they are, how they no longer do things that they want to do, how time flies fast, how they don't have time to do this or that, how everything revolves around having a kid, how it takes 3 times as long to get out the door when you have a kid, how much money it costs, etc.

I totally enjoy my life not having kids. I'm free to do as I please. I'm free to spend my money on myself. I'm free to do absolutely nothing all day long on my day off if I so choose. I'm free to go somewhere at the drop of a hat and be out the door in 5 minutes or less if somethings strikes my interest.

I have no interest in "burdening" society when I'm older.

What "free" lunch am I getting by not having kids? The only time I get a "free" lunch is when there's a coupon in the mail for a free pizza for the first x number of people on x day. Or something like that.

I'm not sure why it affects you that I don't have a kid. It doesn't have a thing to do with you, and you don't have to do anything for me at any time in my life because of it.

What, you think when I'm older that because I don't have a kid that I'll be in some nursing home or whatever that you think you have to pay for?

How many parents who did have kids still end up that way because their kids don't give a whit about them?

Old 03-31-2017, 03:52 AM
Status: "Before saving for a rainy evening, see your xenial lawyer!" (set 4 hours ago)

19,609 posts, read 650,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP, it is no one's business what people do with their life. As far as it is not in any way harmful to others or to the nature.
Who are you to judge?
I agree

Old 03-31-2017, 10:31 AM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times
In life we each need to follow our own road, our own path.

Philosophically speaking it's wrong to judge someone else because they decided to take another path from the road that
you yourself chose. That is a bit narcissistic and judgemental to think you know the only way and others are wrong, if they don't not follow your ideology and philosophy.

Our population is out of control, and we have reeked enough havooc on our planet and environment, so I am glad that most people do not share your "philosophy". (But that being said I don't really judge people who decide to have larger families - I am sure they have their reasons, and hopefully that means "good reasons", but my philosophy is to live and let live and not judge other people or question their motives/decisions, unless they are doing something that is directly harming or impacting someone else in a harmful way.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy