Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times

Advertisements

My dad and I are debating an issue and need help on who is right
His friend is ill but it's not a painful illness, has dementia and is basically a vegetable. My dad prays for him to pass away. I understand that the friend has no quality of life.
However, the wife would be financially troubled by his passing. My feeling is that praying for his death is also praying for her misfortune.
He's going to die sooner or later and if he's not in pain or a burden to her, why would you pray for the trouble it would bring her?
So simply stated is praying for A = praying for B since if A happened then so will B?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
C. This is reminder to both of you and his wife how short human life is and how soon death can touch one's shoulder. Instead of "praying" for anyone else, get YOURSELF ready, as know you not what the bony hand touched yours.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
C. This is reminder to both of you and his wife how short human life is and how soon death can touch one's shoulder. Instead of "praying" for anyone else, get YOURSELF ready, as know you not what the bony hand touched yours.
That doesn't answer the question.
Let's ask it a different way
If I pray for the Yankees to win then am I passively praying for the Mets to lose

Old 03-21-2017, 01:54 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,642,829 times
The fundamental moral imperative is no human can determine the mortality of another human being.

However in the practical side of reality, deviation from the above absolute will happen but the gap between the moral ideal and practical must be as narrow as possible. This is why capital punishment are heavily argued all over the world.
In other cases, the stopping of life supporting systems are also heavily reviewed and deliberated instead of basing on subjective and flimsy decisions. In any case the professional doctors, the spouse and nearest relatives' views should be consulted.

In this OP case, your father [even with good intentions] is not the doctor-in-charge, spouse nor near relatives, it is not morally 'right' for your father to openly pray for his death. He may have a silent/secret wish but that is also not preferable. It is possible a 'miracle' could happen that enable the patient to live another 10 years actively. Therefore as merely a friend your father should refrain from such a wish.

The test is, if it is permissible for every one on Earth to pray [decide] on the mortality of say your father's friend, one will note there will be millions of varying views and opinions. So who is right? Why should one view be more right than the others.

Thus the attention should be diverted to the one who prays for the death of the other. This is a case of excess empathy and compassion that should be managed. Obviously this competence is too late for people who are older. In general all humans should develop mental competence to modulate their empathy, compassion and altruism optimally. [note the extreme cases of non-optimal compassion where 3 good human 'samaritans' were drowned trying to save a drowning dog]

Old 03-21-2017, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
The fundamental moral imperative is no human can determine the mortality of another human being.

However in the practical side of reality, deviation from the above absolute will happen but the gap between the moral ideal and practical must be as narrow as possible. This is why capital punishment are heavily argued all over the world.
In other cases, the stopping of life supporting systems are also heavily reviewed and deliberated instead of basing on subjective and flimsy decisions. In any case the professional doctors, the spouse and nearest relatives' views should be consulted.

In this OP case, your father [even with good intentions] is not the doctor-in-charge, spouse nor near relatives, it is not morally 'right' for your father to openly pray for his death. He may have a silent/secret wish but that is also not preferable. It is possible a 'miracle' could happen that enable the patient to live another 10 years actively. Therefore as merely a friend your father should refrain from such a wish.

The test is, if it is permissible for every one on Earth to pray [decide] on the mortality of say your father's friend, one will note there will be millions of varying views and opinions. So who is right? Why should one view be more right than the others.

Thus the attention should be diverted to the one who prays for the death of the other. This is a case of excess empathy and compassion that should be managed. Obviously this competence is too late for people who are older. In general all humans should develop mental competence to modulate their empathy, compassion and altruism optimally. [note the extreme cases of non-optimal compassion where 3 good human 'samaritans' were drowned trying to save a drowning dog]
Ok, let's remove the death part of the question because you're still not answering the crux of the argument.
If you wish for A but the success will negatively impact B, are you or aren't you basically wishing B ill?

Old 03-21-2017, 04:52 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
No. Being willing to accept B is not the same as praying for B. Passive acceptance vs actively seeking.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:56 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,642,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Ok, let's remove the death part of the question because you're still not answering the crux of the argument.
If you wish for A but the success will negatively impact B, are you or aren't you basically wishing B ill?
Now why don't you think more positively like hasten income for the embalmer, etc., bed available for the next waiting patient, etc. There will be other negatives as well.

The pertinent point I believe in this case is the moral issue.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No. Being willing to accept B is not the same as praying for B. Passive acceptance vs actively seeking.
Thanks. This is the closest to an answer to the actual question. My dad feels like this. I said you're wishing harm on B, he says " no way" but B will be severely harmed.
I feel like the negative impact for B far outweighs the positive impact for A.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:01 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
You're assuming wishes are granted like God is some sort of a genie.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:13 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
My dad and I are debating an issue and need help on who is right
His friend is ill but it's not a painful illness, has dementia and is basically a vegetable. My dad prays for him to pass away. I understand that the friend has no quality of life.
However, the wife would be financially troubled by his passing. My feeling is that praying for his death is also praying for her misfortune.
He's going to die sooner or later and if he's not in pain or a burden to her, why would you pray for the trouble it would bring her?
So simply stated is praying for A = praying for B since if A happened then so will B?
If prayers are that powerful, why dont he pray for A to get better than die? I will certainly pay for him to get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy