Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 01:58 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Really is that common, that people think that? I have NEVER heard it from anyone and I am conservative so there is no way for me to contribute any insight there.

Here's what I don't get. Let's presume that women are 100% equivalent to men in the areas of talent, disposition, emotionally etc.

Then why is it that the actors on the political scene from both major parties presume it is especially egregious for a man to insult a woman personally, but you never hear the converse. You hardly ever or probably never hear of accusations of "misandry" .

And it certainly exists, and I say it as a male property owner having rented to lesbians and having dealt with them quite a bit.

But the larger question really is why are women especially the victims of men on the political scene and not vice-versa? It has gotten to be ridiculous even, with women like Susan Rice blaming her troubles on men going after her (not romantically for sure) for being a woman.
a.) I have in the past complained that it is more ECONOMICALLY DIFFICULT for a family to afford for the wife to stay at home, because (in my opinion) perhaps when it became more common for households to have two wage earners, inflation rose to meet this spending potential. There were times I wanted to stay home with my kids, but generally we could not afford it.

Other than that, the only time I hear about people grousing that women ought to stay home and be happy doing it, and stop trying to work like men, is from men who seem to want a submissive house slave, or really just a woman to feel honored that said gent wishes to purchase her pretty self to breed and cook and clean for him, and is angry that women would have the nerve to reject this very generous proposal. Or men who are upset that they cannot bind a mate to them with financial dependency. Or just guys who have bad luck in dating and then watch something like "The Red Pill" and start shouting "hallelujah!" at their monitors. I don't know. But I don't tend to see much of this in real life, only online.

b.) The misandry thing. This is one reason that I have politely declined the label of feminist. Yes, misandry is a thing, yes women sometimes think and say and do things that are unfair to men. Yes, it deserves to be pointed out and corrected when it happens, and yes I make an effort to do so. I truly believe that the majority of men are good human beings just trying to get by in the world like most people in general. They aren't trying to oppress anybody. I know tons of wonderful men. Do even some of the awesome guys buy into some dumb ideas they absorbed growing up in our culture? Yep! But then absolutely women do that, too. Everybody does that. Breaking free of that is not easy for any of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 03:24 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
There was a women I worked with several years ago that used to get her women friends together for lunch and also for occasional after work get togethers. Sometimes she would make it a point to tell me and a few other guys "getting together with my lady friends soon. No guys allowed" then would chuckle and leave. I never took it personally and said "Have a good time!"

Both of us ended up being in a group of 20 employees that were laid off with notice and severance package pay. This was slightly over 5 years ago.

With one week left there I decided to get a group of guys together after work at Chili's. Told the guys "Don't say anything to the women just in case." They had no right to be offended anyways IMO as there were so many "women only" get togethers.

Word somehow got back to this woman and a few others that we had a "guys night out". She acted offended and surprised. I said it was just the guys getting together after work. I gently reminded her how often she had arranged numerous "women only" get togethers. Got the silent treatment the rest of that day. Had to ask her something work related later that day and she said "I'll get back to you in an hour. Really busy at the moment". Answered about 90 minutes later. Then more silent treatment and no goodbye like she usually said at the end of the day. Never found out which guy told her and she refused to tell me who it was.

Anyways, the following day it was back to normal and she was friendlier. The last week working there was fairly pleasant. So that may qualify as a minor dose of misandry, but women have dealt with far worse. I laugh about the incident these days.

An incident like that may result in some guys opposing feminism, but I look at the big picture and not just locally. It took a long time for one of our political parties just to nominate a woman candidate for President! Britain has its 2nd prime minister already and Germany, India, Israel, the Philippines and some other nations have had women as leaders. It is encouraging though, that numerous women have been governors, mayors, in state legislatures, in Congress and in the Cabinet.

I remain very supportive of feminism, not to be confused with thinking all women are nearly perfect. None of us are. It just means you believe in equal rights for women!

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-03-2017 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 02:18 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Really is that common, that people think that? I have NEVER heard it from anyone and I am conservative so there is no way for me to contribute any insight there.
You'd be surprised. In fact, if you read my original post in this thread, that was the reason I started it. I was sort of flabbergasted that a man would think like that in this day and age, but apparently they do.

I think there are a lot of man-hating women out there just like there are women-hating men (I can show you a web site some guy has started so he can tell the world how much he hates women).

Again, I think the trick is not to paint everyone with the same brush. I do it myself and it's a hard thing to stop when you're dealing with how you feel about certain things. My aim in starting this thread was to see if anyone could do some self analysis and let me know when and how those ideas got set into their thoughts, whatever their ideas were. Was it because of a traditional upbringing? A violent father? Being assaulted by someone?

I personally think my choice not to have children came about by my mother always telling me that she never wanted any and my dislike of being "just" a housewife came about because in spite of the fact that my parents had a happy marriage, kids notwithstanding, my father was the lord and king of his household and when he said jump, you asked how high. Woe to the person who challenged him and I challenged him on a regular basis. THe only good thing about it was as abusive as my father was, I swore the next man who laid a hand on me in anger would never live to do it again. That kept me away from the abusive men I may have otherwise have taken up with given my childhood.

So obviously in this thread, some nerves got touched, including mine, but it would be nice to still find out why people feel the way they do, not just what they feel.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:29 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Reproductive choices are the woman's decision. That is the current law. You getting angry again and then calling it murder does not change that. There are plenty of successful, responsible women. You can resent that, but again that is your problem, not their problem.
How much does a box of condoms cost?

Say I like to drive. Does that mean I automatically get a Lexus when I can only afford a Kia? Nope.

Every women has access to condoms. Every. Single. One. In. The. USA.

There should be very few abortions in the U.S. So what's the argument? Are women dumb? Lazy? Do they not care? Why are there so many abortions when smart independent feminist women KNOW THEY CAN GET PREGNANT if they have sex without protection, and they know that they can buy condoms at every corner?

So what's the answer to why there are so many abortions? Not a very good one.

And, yes it is murder. I do not in any way look to the govt for moral guidance, good GAWD. Politicians are the most immoral people on the planet. And laws do not have to be moral. That's why it is illegal to feed homeless people in some cities. Not really a moral law, wouldn't you say?

To ADD:
Why is it that women congratulate other women that have abortions, instead of asking them HOW they got pregnant in the first place? Where is the responsibility? Where is the accountability?

It's like HOW it happened is irrelevant. HOW that woman now getting an abortion was careless, foolish, drunk, stupid, whatever ... and now is pregnant *gasp* and so needs an abortion. Why don't women gather and say: You know what? We need to start holding OURSELVES accountable. Instead of campaigns for abortion, why not campaigns for condoms, for confidence, self respect, and COMMON SENSE? Let's get those abortions numbers down?

Why are abortions more important than the responsibility of women for their own actions?

Last edited by newtovenice; 07-06-2017 at 03:51 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 04:00 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How much does a box of condoms cost?

Say I like to drive. Does that mean I automatically get a Lexus when I can only afford a Kia? Nope.

Every women has access to condoms. Every. Single. One. In. The. USA.

There should be very few abortions in the U.S. So what's the argument? Are women dumb? Lazy? Do they not care? Why are there so many abortions when smart independent feminist women KNOW THEY CAN GET PREGNANT if they have sex without protection, and they know that they can buy condoms at every corner?

So what's the answer to why there are so many abortions? Not a very good one.

And, yes it is murder. I do not in any way look to the govt for moral guidance, good GAWD. Politicians are the most immoral people on the planet. And laws do not have to be moral. That's why it is illegal to feed homeless people in some cities. Not really a moral law, wouldn't you say?

To ADD:
Why is it that women congratulate other women that have abortions, instead of asking them HOW they got pregnant in the first place? Where is the responsibility? Where is the accountability?

It's like HOW it happened is irrelevant. HOW that woman now getting an abortion was careless, foolish, drunk, stupid, whatever ... and now is pregnant *gasp* and so needs an abortion. Why don't women gather and say: You know what? We need to start holding OURSELVES accountable. Instead of campaigns for abortion, why not campaigns for condoms, for confidence, self respect, and COMMON SENSE? Let's get those abortions numbers down?

Why are abortions more important than the responsibility of women for their own actions?
What about men actually going out buying some condoms? After all it's going on our penis? The fact that you are targeting one sex when it comes to sexual encounters says a lot.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
What about men actually going out buying some condoms? After all it's going on our penis? The fact that you are targeting one sex when it comes to sexual encounters says a lot.
Let me know when men start getting abortions. Then I'll expect them to take care of their own birth control, too. Let me know when men are allowed to tell women to GET an abortion. They can't. Women's decision, remember?

Don't want the responsibility? Choose to have sex with a man that wears a condom. If you don't, that is on YOU as a female.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Let me know when men start getting abortions. Then I'll expect them to take care of their own birth control, too. Let me know when men are allowed to tell women to GET an abortion. They can't. Women's decision, remember?

Don't want the responsibility? Choose to have sex with a man that wears a condom. If you don't, that is on YOU as a female.
If you don't want to get stuck paying child support to some woman for 18 years because you are against abortion, where a condom. See how that works?

Old 07-06-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
If you don't want to get stuck paying child support to some woman for 18 years because you are against abortion, where a condom. See how that works?
So it's men's fault that women have abortions? Your logic is faulty.

Yes, if men don't want kids they should wear condoms. That's common sense.

So if WOMEN don't want ABORTIONS, they should have sex with men who wear condoms. That's common sense too.

See how that works? Accountability for the WOMEN. Because ultimately when pregnant, the woman calls the shots: abortion or child support.

And ultimately it is the women's decision to have sex without a condom, thus putting HERSELF in that position.

But it's a nice trap. And she doesn't even have to tell him anything. He never even has to know.

OR -- and this is a big, scary "OR" -- she could have sex with someone she actually cares about who cares about her. That's called self respect. But it's not as popular as having an abortion apparently. Or as popular as women actually remembering that THEY are the ones who actually get pregnant so they should take precautions to protect THEMSELVES.

Accountability. Responsibility. Common Sense. Self Respect.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
So it's men's fault that women have abortions? Your logic is faulty.

Yes, if men don't want kids they should wear condoms. That's common sense.

So if WOMEN don't want ABORTIONS, they should have sex with men who wear condoms. That's common sense too.

See how that works? Accountability for the WOMEN. Because ultimately when pregnant, the woman calls the shots: abortion or child support.

And ultimately it is the women's decision to have sex without a condom, thus putting HERSELF in that position.

But it's a nice trap. And she doesn't even have to tell him anything. He never even has to know.

OR -- and this is a big, scary "OR" -- she could have sex with someone she actually cares about who cares about her. That's called self respect. But it's not as popular as having an abortion apparently. Or as popular as women actually remembering that THEY are the ones who actually get pregnant so they should take precautions to protect THEMSELVES.

Accountability. Responsibility. Common Sense. Self Respect.
Pretty much trying to discredit my argument instead adressing it is weak. As well as the same tired nonsense of women are the ones who get pregnant so they bear the responsibility. Women don't get pregnant by themselves. Whoever provided the sperm to impregnate a woman share in the responsibility.

You know us men can simply turn down or not initiate sex if it isn't good idea at the time.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Pretty much trying to discredit my argument instead adressing it is weak. As well as the same tired nonsense of women are the ones who get pregnant so they bear the responsibility. Women don't get pregnant by themselves. Whoever provided the sperm to impregnate a woman share in the responsibility.

You know us men can simply turn down or not initiate sex if it isn't good idea at the time.
I am addressing your argument. I've proven it is a weak argument.

Women are in control of their own bodies. They control their own ability to get pregnant, or not get pregnant. It's basic biology. Not difficult to understand. It's why they have abortions, right? Because they CONTROL it.

So if a man does not want to wear a condom, don't have sex with him.

Are women THAT hard up that they just take any man that comes along, with no regard to their feelings, and allow themselves to have sex without protection putting them at risk for disease and pregnancy .. because ... why?

If i stand in the road, eventually I'll get hit by a car. Can I get hit by a car by myself? No, I cannot, a driver must hit me. Can I protect myself by NOT standing in the road when I know it's a fact that I WILL GET HIT BY A CAR? Of course I can. I don't stand in the road. It's called COMMON SENSE.

Amazing how strong feminists are so weak that they just can't find a man who wants to wear a condom so they have unprotected sex because well men should be in charge of birth control so that's why they need abortions.

Anyone who can point out all the logical fallacies in that statement gets a case of Mars bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy