Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
I would always look at the women in my offices and think "How could this paper-shuffling silliness possibly be more fulfilling and rewarding than being a full-time wife, mother and homemaker? Indeed, how could it be fulfilling and rewarding at all? What bizarre and delusional philosophy have you bought into?"

I feel badly for the office support staff ..... perhaps you could do your part to relieve them of the paper-shuffling silliness and not utilize and of this support yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
No, this isn't about relationships.

The other day I was reading the comments on a news story and one man there commented that women should stay home and take care of the children. It gave me a pause, especially as I realized that this was from a younger man, perhaps 30 years old.

I've seen a lot of posters here calling women feminazis and saying men can't find a good girlfriend in certain cities because of all the "independent" women out there. I also have seen posts that stop just short of saying women should be second class citizens and depend on men to take care of them. And trust me, there's no lack of women to back them up.

I'm just curious to know where this attitude comes from, women as well as men. I realize a lot of men are bitter about former wives and girlfriends, but somehow I feel the issue is deeper than this. So does it come from the way a person is raised, or is it because a person is angry and wants a target or is it a religious thing? Just what is it about independent women that make others feel so threatened, if that's the case?

Where and why do people have this attitude that women should not be able to have a life outside the home?

I'm really interested in seeing your responses.
How many of these men are capable of earning enough to afford for one spouse to remain at home?

Old 06-28-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
[list][*]I believe the nuclear family is God’s plan for humanity. I believe society would function much better if that plan were followed. This does not inevitably mean everyone must be married, everyone must have children, every man must be the breadwinner and every woman must be the homemaker, but that is the natural order of things.
How about this .... this will be a perfect plan the day God creates perfect people.

Every man is not willing or able to be the perfect breadwinner.

Every woman is not able or willing to be the perfect homemaker.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:21 AM

186 posts, read 131,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You're so "objective"? Prove it.
he's just giving an opinion to the thread like we all are.

no need to get personal and feel threatened

Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
There is no such thing as a 'strong' women, nor will there even be one. Hypocritical and ignorant, yes. Strong, never. All women are inherently weak as are all men. Men are capable of becoming strong, women are not, nor should they be. Women are capable of becoming enlightened-and possibly enlightening others more than men-but not so much in America as they easily succumb to the materialist and consumerist lifestyle.
Enlightened is not being 'strong' however. Living a consumerist and money oriented life is not being strong either. Having sound principles and being devoid of confusion is a strong trait.

Show me an example of a strong women in America and I will show you a fraud.

As to what causes one to think the way that they do, it is usually experience.
Most women are incapable of objective perception because of their inherent weakness to be exploited. Most women in America are therefore exploited as consumers but some consider their exploitation as being 'strong'.

Strange days indeed. Very peculiar times.
If I understand you correctly, your idea of strong is not giving into consumerism. Not every woman "buys" into consumerism. There are just as many men as well as women who do. I have known men who had to buy the latest gadget or the state of the art device.

To me, being strong means being able to deal with and hopefully overcome difficult situations, to stand up for what is right, and not lose one's values in the process. I know many women who work a full-time job (sometimes more than one) and raise kids on their own. To be fair, there are also men who do the same thing. It takes a strong person to do that. That which does not break you, makes you stronger.

Cat

Old 06-28-2017, 01:58 PM

317 posts, read 651,841 times
Any time someone describes an entire class of people or segment of the population as being interchangeable and more or less identical, it usually says more about them than the class of people they are describing.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoQueen View Post
he's just giving an opinion to the thread like we all are.

no need to get personal and feel threatened
I'm not threatened, but when a poster has a name like "Objective Detective" and then makes unsubstantiated statements like "women cannot be strong... hypocritical and ignorant, yes. Strong, never", then I have the right to challenge him to "objectively" prove it.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:40 PM

186 posts, read 131,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'm not threatened, but when a poster has a name like "Objective Detective" and then makes unsubstantiated statements like "women cannot be strong... hypocritical and ignorant, yes. Strong, never", then I have the right to challenge him to "objectively" prove it.
Sorry I my mistake that post wasn't intended for you. I need some rest!

Old 06-28-2017, 04:09 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
And here I was thinking that Objective Detective seemed to WANT people to take that personally, feel threatened, and get defensive. It was a rather provocative thing to say.

Also, when I read it, my brain was so paralyzed trying to decide whether to go full snark mode, or logically argue the matter, that it completely locked up. Error. Brain.exe has stopped. Have you tried turning it off, then turning it on again?

Right. Wonder what the word, "strong" means to Objective Detective. That must first be quantified.

If we are talking physically strong, I could point a person at some female bodybuilders, and I wonder would he like to take them on.

Fortitude? I have seen women endure things that would crush the souls and sanity of most men. From physical pain, which Mythbusters even proved that women handle better than men (but my tattoo artist told me this years ago) to patiently coping through years of hardship, putting our own needs last and keeping our chins up.

If we are talking mentally strong, well it would take all day for me to get into depth on the subject of intelligent women, but 34% of the members of Mensa (scored in the top 2% on a standardized intelligence test) are women. There are over 56,000 members, and that means that 19,040 women at least are very mentally "strong" compared to most people and yes, most men.
Source:
https://www.us.mensa.org/learn/about/demographics/

Emotional strength now. This is where women shine. It's so funny, men think that men are manly and tough and strong inside. Only because men don't show OTHER MEN their weaknesses. They carry them around, until they have a woman to unload on, and we get to see the tears, the marshmallow filling in the tough outer shell. If anything, women know better how to reach out for help, and share our difficulties, before we hit critical mass and do real damage. Many women contemplate suicide, but more men complete the act. And women, I generally think, on average, are better at helping other human beings carry their emotional burdens. We not only manage the feelings we have even when we are called crazy for having them, we help our men and our friends and loved ones manage theirs, too. A task that while it comes naturally for many of us, is usually fairly thankless.

Hm...what other ways could a person be weak or strong? Perhaps he meant, morally or ethically? Well I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that one either. I have known women who stood for their principles against great pressure and suffered for what they believed in. I've known women who were so profoundly GOOD that they shine as beacons of what a human being can aspire to be. And I have known men who insisted that they were paragons of virtue while conveniently omitting all the times they were not. As an American woman, sure, I am faced with attempts to tempt me to unwise instant gratification a hundred times a day. I very rarely give in, and never without weighing an indulgence and making sure it does not go meaningfully against my greater good. I suppose that as morals and ethics are a rather subjective matter, it would depend on who is judging. I find physical violence morally repugnant, and failure to control your urges especially when they cause harm, and failure to take responsibility for your own actions...which would then mean in my eyes that men are less morally strong than women, on the balance.

Ah but now, see, I have taken him seriously. Gosh, and I swore to myself I would not.

Good thing I'm a very strong typist.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:06 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
There is no such thing as a 'strong' women, nor will there even be one. Hypocritical and ignorant, yes. Strong, never. All women are inherently weak as are all men. Men are capable of becoming strong, women are not, nor should they be. Women are capable of becoming enlightened-and possibly enlightening others more than men-but not so much in America as they easily succumb to the materialist and consumerist lifestyle.
Enlightened is not being 'strong' however. Living a consumerist and money oriented life is not being strong either. Having sound principles and being devoid of confusion is a strong trait.

Show me an example of a strong women in America and I will show you a fraud.

As to what causes one to think the way that they do, it is usually experience.
Most women are incapable of objective perception because of their inherent weakness to be exploited. Most women in America are therefore exploited as consumers but some consider their exploitation as being 'strong'.

Strange days indeed. Very peculiar times.
Boy, have you spent your life hanging around the wrong women! Where do you live, the local mall? I don't know any women such as you describe. You've really been missing out! Maybe you're just not old enough to have met a wide variety of women yet...?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-28-2017 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy