Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:10 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
I'm not sure you are right about movie directors doing the same thing, pouring their life savings into a movie. Most made their first movies in film school on shoestring budgets.

Is the "fortune" you are pouring into this film leaving you financially insecure? How close to completion is this project? Can you estimate how much work is left and how much it will cost, and then stick to those estimates? Or is this still an open-ended moneypit? Do you have a solid source of income, or are you depleting finite financial resources? These are the concerns I would have.

What will you do when it is completed? Do you know how to sell a movie? Your backup plan of "getting noticed" seems worryingly vague. Who are you expecting to notice you? What will they do if they notice you?

If you were a starving writer, a starving musician, or a starving painter (I've known a lot of each), I'd say follow your muse as long as it makes you happy and as long as you can keep a roof over your head. Those pursuits require relatively low out-of-pocket expenses, and are easier to turn into income (maybe not much income, but every little bit helps) Making a film can be a very expensive proposition, and they aren't easy to turn into income high enough to make up for the expenses. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is no easy feat. If you lack a network of acquaintances in the film industry, it becomes a very daunting task.

My advice would be: set a deadline and a spending cap on the film (real studio movies always have both), and stick to it. The discipline will do you good, and film studios are far more impressed with competent directors who can work with a budget and time limit than they are with auteurs who sink all their money in pursuit of their vision. If you can set a deadline and budget cap, you can tell others that you've got it all under control and not to worry.

It is hard to ignore the voices of others, but they shouldn't always be ignored. Instead, you need to consider what their objections are and make sure you have those bases covered. Then you can tell them how you've got it all planned out.
Well I haven't started the feature yet, but I want to. Right now I am working on some other filmmaking projects for other people then once those are done, I want to get started. What counts as a shoestring budget though? Right now my life savings are almost 200K USD. That's pretty microbudget for a movie, and you still want the movie to have enough money for some kind of marketing in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 10:06 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I'm going by people in the industry.
I'm in the industry.

What these people aren't telling you is all the little (and some not so little) things they did or that they lucked out on along the way before the "rolled the dice on their life savings."

I 100% guarantee this.

It baffles me why people don't tell the full 360-degree version of their story. I find all the little bits in between far more compelling and inspiring than the "spent my life savings" hyperbole.

IMHO...don't get down on yourself for assuming you're not doing the right or bold thing. Your path should and need not be a cut-and-paste of someone else's.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:22 AM

Well people in the industry have told me not to do it and that I am not ready, so what scares me, or discourages me is that I feel since they have had more experience, that they probably know more than me, and I could be wrong.

Plus other people have told me not to pursue it and that I am not thinking clearly for wanting to risk so much money. Here is a thread on here before from months ago, where people were making me think I should reconsider:

Am I crazy for wanting to become a filmmaker and making a movie?

Old 09-28-2017, 09:13 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Well people in the industry have told me not to do it and that I am not ready, so what scares me, or discourages me is that I feel since they have had more experience, that they probably know more than me, and I could be wrong.

Plus other people have told me not to pursue it and that I am not thinking clearly for wanting to risk so much money. Here is a thread on here before from months ago, where people were making me think I should reconsider:

Am I crazy for wanting to become a filmmaker and making a movie?
Personally if people with experience in the industry told me this. I would listen. I would ask what I needed to do to be ready.

There is a difference IMO in being overly sensitive to what people think and ignoring sage advice.

Of course it's your decision in the end.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:20 PM

Well that's just it though, I feel like some people are telling me in order to get ahead I have to listen to myself and no one else, and others say it's wise to listen, and should remain in my cell until getting outside approval from the experts. So now I don't know what to do.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Unless you are asking for help with financing the project, then it's nobody else's business what you do. I put my kid in drama classes and voice lessons, and some people think I'm a "stage mom" for doing that. I have to wonder sometimes if they are jealous.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
I've been wanting to become a movie director or have some kind of career in filmmaking for years now, but find it hard to break into the business.

Basically I feel it's best to break in by making a feature film and trying to either sell it, or get noticed that way. However, it seems that almost everyone is not supporting me at all in this and I keep being told that I am nowhere near ready and that I don't have "it".

I am pouring all my fortune and savings into it and everyone thinks I am crazy. However, if you read what other movie directors had to do go get there, they all had to do the same thing, and put their life savings on the line.

So I feel I am not doing anything different than almost every successful movie director had to do to get there.

But I find people's warnings incredibly discouraging and can't help but feel that I might very likely be making a mistake. I talked to a movie director about it, and he said that it's true what directors say that they had to throw everything into the pot, and not listen to anyone, and that the only beliefs that matter are one's own.

But what do you think? How do other people in this kind of position do it, where they have to convince themselves that they are the one right person and that everyone else's opinions don't matter?
Some of the things I read move me and make me think and eventually I embrace the 'philosophy' of it and try to really live it. I have to say this helps me a lot, but as they say, 'your mileage may vary'.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.

With everything that has happened to you, you can either feel sorry for yourself or treat what has happened as a gift. Everything is either an opportunity to grow or an obstacle to keep you from growing. You get to choose.” ~ Wayne W. Dyer

How people treat you is their karma how you react is yours

Along the lines of breaking into the arena of film, whether it be acting, producing, directing, writing scripts or what have you, I think it boils down to talent, blind persistence, timing, and a smidgeon of luck and serendipity.

I ran across an article recently on the film director Richard Linklater, perhaps you have as well (I am a huge aficionado of the film industry, not necessarily the most knowledgeable but certainly very enthusiastic of the process and the end result). You should read the article and maybe you will be inspired to listen to your 'inner person' and believe in yourself and what you want to do with your life.

Good luck Ironpony, I wish you the very, very best of everything and look forward to seeing some of your work someday!

‘American Masters: Richard Linklater’ review: What you see is what you get August 30, 2017 2:36 PM

‘American Masters: Richard Linklater’ review: What you see is what you get | Newsday

Boyhood (I) (2014) Quotes
Boyhood (2014) - Quotes - IMDb

Old 09-29-2017, 09:53 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Well that's just it though, I feel like some people are telling me in order to get ahead I have to listen to myself and no one else, and others say it's wise to listen, and should remain in my cell until getting outside approval from the experts. So now I don't know what to do.
Don't you see the irony of this statement?

From what you've posted here about your work, and the links to the work, I would say your path right now is to work toward gaining as much practical skills as you can and not spend much time philosophizing about what to do.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:11 AM

17 posts, read 9,633 times
There is "internal" motivation and then there is "external" motivation.

For people who are motivated externally, sometimes NOT caring what others think of them is really really tough. Been there.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Don't you see the irony of this statement?

From what you've posted here about your work, and the links to the work, I would say your path right now is to work toward gaining as much practical skills as you can and not spend much time philosophizing about what to do.
No I am not seeing the irony, what is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy