Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:24 PM

10,500 posts, read 6,985,776 times

Advertisements

Sometimes, it's not about telling the truth. Sometimes it's about how you choose to tell the truth. Big difference between one and the other.

As one example, you can say, "That dress makes you look fat" or you can say, "That dress does not do you justice."

You can say, "Jeez, Bob, sometimes you can be a real a-hole" or you can say, " You know, Bob, you should stop for a moment and consider how your words and actions affect the feelings of other people."

Same basic sentiment, but entirely different in their effect on the recipient. See how that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 08:57 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,237,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, my truth telling and feeling 'a bit' bad is that it has hurt feelings...case in point here in the Christian section ...MY truth is that i think the Old T's belief in blood sacrifice is nonsense and barbaric...Well, guess what ...people that believe in it are insulted...
I'm not here to insult people...yet, my truth has done just that ...not fear ...sensitivity...i need to say the same thing but differently.
So I trust my inner meter...'do it differently'...kinder.
People that truly believe in the bible wouldn't feel insulted....instead they'd feel compassion and sadness that you feel that way...but not "insulted".

Fear of telling the truth comes about when people are punished or ostracized for speaking the truth...it doesn't mean they will think differently...only that they must be more carefull who they share these truths with. Most people prefer their heads in the sand...they flat out don't WANT to hear the truth...especially if the truth is more painful than the comfortable lies they've embraced....and THAT (to me) is a very bad sign...very real...and very saaaaad!!!

Old 09-23-2017, 02:43 PM

71 posts, read 30,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
People that truly believe in the bible wouldn't feel insulted....instead they'd feel compassion and sadness that you feel that way...but not "insulted".

Fear of telling the truth comes about when people are punished or ostracized for speaking the truth...it doesn't mean they will think differently...only that they must be more carefull who they share these truths with. Most people prefer their heads in the sand...they flat out don't WANT to hear the truth...especially if the truth is more painful than the comfortable lies they've embraced....and THAT (to me) is a very bad sign...very real...and very saaaaad!!!
yes they sit wander with amazement at the sight of a hermit and say surely this man will never succeed for his appearance is unkempt, yet was his focus by acuity to rebuke silence for none would listen; and didst speak a sound like unto om; and lo falleth reason in time devoured.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:21 PM

15,534 posts, read 15,555,642 times
I think there are all kinds of truths that a good person might feel bad for telling:

"I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but your son has been burglarizing houses in the neighborhood."

"I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but your lawyer is being disbarred."

"I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but Equifax just admitted your SSN was sold on the Darknet."

Old 09-23-2017, 03:52 PM

71 posts, read 30,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I think there are all kinds of truths that a good person might feel bad for telling:

"I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but your son has been burglarizing houses in the neighborhood."

"I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but your lawyer is being disbarred."

"I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but Equifax just admitted your SSN was sold on the Darknet."
the web does go deep there are things on the surface yet below the surface are the engineers which are the subconscious architects of the rosenbridge that is the internet
internity indeed would be eternity; as it were a complex of binary nerves and mnemonic evils and didst Cain verily smite as Thor by the fires of the soul didst ye forge a weapon of influx by penance and a sword.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:33 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,137,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
"Yes, that dress does make you look fat"
"Your cooking sucks"
"Your friends are lame"

Apparently there are limits. At most, it depends on the context and precise details of the circumstances. In short, if that truth is hurtful AND there is no compelling reason to bring it up, then best it not be brought up.
This^.

If somebody expects the truth, then I think about what they could do differently. Also, they have to identify the problem correctly as in something that has a solution that is in their control. Sometimes I tell people I have to think about it and get back to them. And that is the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy