Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 07:06 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If one uses this definition, then 'selfless' deeds are possible and selfish is 'bad'.
If you meant altruism , that's a different discussion.
I didn’t mean anything except the definition of the word “selfish.” Selfless acts are possible. Selfish may be “bad.” Or not. Depending on how subjectively one defines “bad,” apparently.

Added: and that is a different discussion as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 07:11 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
If you benefit physically emotionally or mentally then it's not a selfless good deed.
If thought is infinite, then you will never escape that feeling.

Over thinker, simple minded - it depends which one of these general categories you fall into.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:07 AM

417 posts, read 190,988 times
If you do something without considering it, on instinct, than yes, you can do a selfless good deed. Even if you do good deeds because it makes you feel good, at least you did it.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:53 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
It's an interesting question I've thought about too. We have two long-term renters at our condo complex, who daily are out on the beach picking up trash or washed-up vegetation. They have no vested interest in our complex, but when asked, said they "enjoyed doing it". It's a win-win!

Old 02-27-2018, 04:27 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Why do something if you don't benefit from it somehow. It seems Everything we do in life revolves around us benefiting from it. Going to work, hanging out with friends, having a pet, etc.

Why shouldn't I also look at doing good deeds the same way I look at everything else in my life? If it doesn't give me pleasure or happiness or any good feeling in some way why do it?

Maybe I'm a bit more selfish then alot of people on this thread who do good without thinking or without thinking about how they may benefit from it. I just want to know why people act this way and why should I.

Because there are people who aren't selfish and who don't think about everything in terms of self. You start off with the wrong definition that everything has to be about the self in terms of either bringing you pleasure or pain or good feeling or bad feeling. Not everything is about the self and no amount of over philosophizing will change that. All over philosophizing does is confuse yourself.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Donating blood is a completely selfless act of kindness.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:14 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
It’s an interesting question. I think that all animals, humans included, do things because we want positive reinforcement. A bobcat hunts because she doesn’t want to continue to be hungry. My dog sits next to the dinner table because he’s hoping someone will slip him a bite of chicken. I post a pic on social media because it feels good to read, “good shot!” and to see the likes.

So yes, I think that most good deeds are done because it feels good to help others.

I don’t see it as a problem. We are people, not robots, so feelings are inherent to everything we do. Either way, the homeless person gets fed, the litter gets picked up, etc. feeling good about it is a natural and necessary side benefit.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:59 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
If someone sees a boy drowning and they immediately and instinctively try to rescue him without having any thoughts is this a selfless good deed?.
I'm not sure that's how it works ....

I don't actually think anyone jumps into water to rescue someone "instinctively" or "without having any thoughts". There is a built in safety feature of our Fight or Flight response; that we do NOT react "instinctively" to danger.

To an observer, it might appear as though somebody reacted without thinking. The "reactor" however, experiences something quite different:

The thought process that would take 3 or 4 seconds normally, can take place in a fraction of a second. There is an odd sense of "time standing still", then everything seems to be going in slow-motion. In one second; you are capable of weighing your odds & making a decision.

I'm thinking that in this hypothetical situation; a person with strong swimming skills attempting a rescue would be more selfless than a person with just adequate swimming skills. Why?

Because experienced, trained swimmers are more likely to have a realistic understanding of personal risk. Drowning people, even children, are also experiencing Fight/Flight & this means they can have "superhuman" strength. Add panic to this scenario & a 10 year old boy could actually drown a full grown man who was trying to rescue him.

When an experienced swimmer jumps in unknown water to rescue somebody, they are doing so in spite of knowing that they will be in imminent danger; vs being oblivious to that fact. To me; that is a truly selfless act.

Even a mother trying to run into a burning building to save her child, is not doing so out of a lack of thought. She knows what her odds are ... and she doesn't care.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:29 AM

15 posts, read 8,092 times
when one is confronted by wisdom say "I know nothing"

the pardoning of substance with gentle absence

as a number seeth the infinite

grow therein with detachment

Old 02-28-2018, 12:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Sometimes when I do "good deeds" they make me feel worse about myself because I feel guilty for how good my life is, how much I spend etc. Sometimes I know it will make me feel guilty.

Perhaps you can only be truly selfless if you do good deeds that make you feel rotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy