Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:25 AM

110 posts, read 97,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I didn’t think the dandelion picture looked ugly at all.

Your first picture was more than an example of comfort. It was what nature is capable of when there is a balance of sun, water & minerals. It looked like ... life. It looked fertile.

The 2nd picture is what nature looks like when there is an imbalance: Too much heat, not enough water & the soil is barren. It is infertile.

The dandelion was the epitome of fertility.

So beauty, in your eyes; is health & fertility. Or rather; health & fertility is beautiful.

Beauty is what looks favorable to health & fertility. Or; what looks favorable to health & fertility is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:19 PM

378 posts, read 229,922 times
I guess you got this all figured out, OP. Beauty = intelligence and favorable to health & fertility. Is there really anything else to discuss?

Old 04-03-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
I guess you got this all figured out, OP. Beauty = intelligence and favorable to health & fertility. Is there really anything else to discuss?
Just some of my thoughts. Beauty is an indicator of something which is crucial for humanity's survive and the evolution from animals to be an intelligent species,and a guide for humans behavior and activities in lots of areas today and in the future.The similar of that is the deliciousness of food which is an indicator of nutrition and thus a guide for animals to find nutritional foods in nature that is crucial for the survival of the animals.

One of the greatest differences between humans and other animals is that animals have no sense of beauty as their guide. That is why humans become humans from monkeys, and other animals will forever be animals. .

Old 04-03-2018, 07:51 PM

4,195 posts, read 4,446,817 times
This should keep you busy for a while.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...logy_of_Beauty

http://www.reed.edu/biology/courses/...Godin_2002.pdf

http://www.ucd.ie/artspgs/langimp/genderbrain.pdf

Do Women Prefer 'Manly' Faces?

https://www.albany.edu/faculty/ts460...featbeauty.htm

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/a...laws-chemistry

These links to various studies should answer a myriad of your questions contentions and theories.
I'm curious, what is your country of origin?

Old 04-03-2018, 07:57 PM

8,474 posts, read 6,872,727 times
An ideal whether real or not that takes the human mind to a place beyond our ordinary lives and excites our sensibilities but is ultimately unobtainable.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:40 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,641,660 times
No one can explain why someone is beautiful, man or woman alike. It just IS. Same as how you can guess a person's age just by looking at their eyes and not even the rest of their face. It's an unexplainable human quality.

For example, I once saw in a celebrity magazine that showed Miley Cyrus' eyes only throughout the years. It didn't show the rest of her face, yet you can see in which photo she looks younger and in which ones she looks older. How do you explain that? Her eyes didn't change shape, you don't see any lines (she's too young), and she's wearing the same amount of eye makeup. You can't. You just know.

Or you know right away when someone has Down's Syndrome. How can you tell? Just by looking at their eyes. How do you explain how you know? You can't.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:22 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,344,147 times
I'll borrow from Potter Stewart and say that I won't try to define beauty, and admit that I might not succeed if I did try, but beauty is something I know when I see (experience) it.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:14 PM

20,747 posts, read 19,943,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufalian View Post
I agree with the definition that beauty is a characteristic of a person, place, object that provides a perceptual experience of pleasure or satisfaction.But that definition does not explain why a characteristic of something provides a perceptual experience of pleasure or satisfaction.

Here is some of my thoughts.
A place is beautiful means that place is suitable and comfortable to live in.Said another way, a place that is suitable and comfortable to live in would be looked beautiful in human's eyes.
A woman is beautiful means she looks intelligent and looks more like a humanity and will give you intelligent offspring if you having kids with her.

Whatever your opinion is would be appreciated.
I don't think intelligence has anything to do with the definition about a beautiful woman. You cannot see intelligence. Maybe you mean a woman who looks pretty and IS intelligent equals to beautiful?

Sure, some women look dumber. Well, some women look intelligent, like if they look like a typical teacher - which is not necessarily beautiful. Many very intelligent women do not look beautiful because they are too busy doing smart stuff and don't pay much attention to their looks.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
This should keep you busy for a while.

These links to various studies should answer a myriad of your questions contentions and theories.
I'm curious, what is your country of origin?
Thanks for your recommends.I'm really curious,why you are curious about country of origin?

Old 04-05-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
An ideal whether real or not that takes the human mind to a place beyond our ordinary lives and excites our sensibilities but is ultimately unobtainable.
That ideal existed in our ancestors' mind and it is obtained and realized now.If one of our ancestors resurrected,he would admit that humans now is in an ideal state. The ideal in our mind now will be obtained in the future several centuries from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy