U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2018, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,592 posts, read 2,650,213 times
Reputation: 2550

Advertisements

I didn't no where else to put this so I thought the most likely place it should be is here on the philosophy forum.

The human race is made up of the most kind and sincere living beings in the world. We are capable of such great acts and are worries are self made.

We had no reason to be concerned about the suffering of lesser beings, the homeless, dogs, the environment, etc. but of our own makings we put the weight on our own shoulders.

And on a personal level I have learned that the only reason I am where I am is because of the respect and kindness I have been shown by others, be they friends or strangers. Surely there are times of cruelty and darkness but coming out on the other end with a smile and genuine hope for the future is one of the greatest feelings in the world.

Even at times when I'm down and someone smiles at me (whether it be for a reason or no reason at all) the affects are what help me go on day by day.

There is such goodness in the world and in other humans that there need not be and yet here it is. The caring for one another and the support given even when not needed.

This world is, in its most natural state, a free and beautiful place and I wish everyone here on CD a fantastic day and even more to come in the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Status: "Smacking fundies." (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,797 posts, read 13,408,706 times
Reputation: 11670
Nice post.

If you train yourself to spot silver linings, you won't notice the clouds so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2018, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,140,934 times
Reputation: 7505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The human race is made up of the most kind and sincere living beings in the world. We are capable of such great acts...
LOL I suppose slavery, war, crime, racism, and other like-traits of the human race are wonderful too. We are the universe's most perfect and supreme creatures! Pass the delusion and blindness, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,592 posts, read 2,650,213 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
LOL I suppose slavery, war, crime, racism, and other like-traits of the human race are wonderful too. We are the universe's most perfect and supreme creatures! Pass the delusion and blindness, please.
And do not lions and beasts who can over power there prey abuse their power at every turn? Of course they do because why not? Why should they care about the suffering of those that donít affect their own comfort.

And yet humanity has brought upon ourselves in the midst of great power to self-regulation and the pursuit of welfare to those who we do not know or even that which we do not see.

The slaves did not free themselves through brute force; they were freed by the free-men who protested and shed blood for ones they did not know.

In indochina in the 50s and 60s the US military had free reign to bomb and gas civilian sites in the hopes of victory. In your eyes you may see the inaction of US citizens as proof of supreme evil in humanity but you do not see the course of development. Just 40 years later during the invasion of Iraq people protested before the invasion (unlike in Vietnam) and the government never again could us the same tactics that were on display in indochina for fear of internal backlash.

There was no reason for these changes to happen and yet across the years the people as a whole have burdened themselves with labors of kindness unseen in any other species on earth. It is when the powerful act to improve the lives of the underclass that the greatness and possibilities yet still at hand show themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,140,934 times
Reputation: 7505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
1 And do not lions and beasts who can over power there prey abuse their power at every turn?

2 The slaves did not free themselves through brute force; they were freed by the free-men who protested and shed blood for ones they did not know.
1 - No, lions are as they are for a reason, as part of nature. They aren't "abusing their power" any more than a frog reaching out to snag and eat a fly. Lions are being lions, just as frogs are frogs, and mosquitoes are mosquitos. You're trying to act like lions know evil - like man - and are purposely going against nature to enact evil on other creatures. But there's nothing evil in nature, and no evil among non-humans.

2 - Wrong. Slavery in this country ended when the official portion of the country (the Union, part of the original United States) mandated a law that slavery would no longer be legal and sanctioned. They then militarily enforced that law. It didn't come about by lofty ideals. The underground railroad and ideals did not stop slavery. It only ended with law, and those enlisted to carry out military enforcement. The union was mostly motivated to action by the Confederate's traitorous actions - trying to pull away from the rest of the US - and by ignoring the laws at the federal level. They weren't fighting for slaves, and people they didn't know or even understand.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-09-2018 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,592 posts, read 2,650,213 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
1 - No, lions are as they are for a reason, as part of nature. They aren't "abusing their power" any more than a frog reaching out to snag and eat a fly. Lions are being lions, just as frogs are frogs, and mosquitoes are mosquitos. You're trying to act like lions know evil - like man - and are purposely going against nature to enact evil on other creatures. But there's nothing evil in nature, and no evil among non-humans.

2 - Wrong. Slavery in this country ended when the official portion of the country (the Union, part of the original United States) mandated a law that slavery would no longer be legal and sanctioned. They then militarily enforced that law. It didn't come about by lofty ideals. The underground railroad and ideals did not stop slavery. It only ended with law, and those enlisted to carry out military enforcement. The union was mostly motivated to action by the Confederate's traitorous actions - trying to pull away from the rest of the US - and by ignoring the laws at the federal level. They weren't fighting for slaves, and people they didn't know or even understand.
1. Absolute nonsense. A lion doesn’t have the same abilities to commit violence as a human but within their capabilities they abuse their power to the fullest extent; you can cover the reality with the term “natural” but that doesn’t change facts. Humans are the only species that self-regulate ourselves without the intrinsic benefit of material or self gain. Would lions save Pandas without any immediate gain for themselves. Human ‘evil’ as you define it is the same concept of self-driven goals that drive animals to do things that benefit themselves and never help others when they have nothing to gain in return.

2. You literally proved my point, Slaves didn’t free themselves, internal forces from those who had the power to abuse the slaves self-regulated said abuses. Humans had a free labor source and gave it up due to pressure from free men who had moral objections. You would never get moral objections from lions as they tear out the throat of a lesser creature.

Your cynicism has blinded you in a false shroud of intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,140,934 times
Reputation: 7505
LOL ^ Whatever you say Skippy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,592 posts, read 2,650,213 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
LOL ^ Whatever you say Skippy.
you seem like a good person, but like many others I'd suggest for you not to mistake cynical morals for enlightened realism.

Last edited by Winterfall8324; 04-09-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,140,934 times
Reputation: 7505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'd suggest for you not to mistake your cynical morals for enlightened realism.
Anyone who knows me would not call me cynical, in any way. I'm very much 'anti-cynical', whatever word that might equate to. So, I'm not sure what you are referring to. You obviously do not know me.

I've made no judgement calls about you. I can only comment on your words and thoughts, because I do not know you. I'm not going to cross the line and make statements about you personally. But go ahead and judge me as a person more (and get it wrong) if you wish. I won't comment any further. Feel free to have the last word.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-09-2018 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
6,105 posts, read 1,828,658 times
Reputation: 8672
Humanity has the capability of being great and has done great things, but in general, humanity is not great.

When we can solve world peace, world poverty, and world hunger then come back to me with how great humanity is.

Now Americans, yeah, we got it good. But lets ask those North Koreans and Somalians how great humans can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top