Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,067 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why you'd believe in a magic invisible sky-daddy in the first place.

But if you do... then yes, he must be worshiped. Says so right there in the bible. He also likes when you burn dead animal carcasses for him.

Allah Akbar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 11:32 PM

605 posts, read 491,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I don't understand why you'd believe in a magic invisible sky-daddy in the first place.

But if you do... then yes, he must be worshiped. Says so right there in the bible. He also likes when you burn dead animal carcasses for him.

Allah Akbar!
That's Allahu Akbar to you, infidel.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:36 PM

605 posts, read 491,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You feel that way bek of 2 possibilities
You are very strong and successful way more than me
Or you have not hit bottom ever
If you're addressing the OP, I am going to venture you might be right on your second guess, but only because I have a pretty restrictive definition of 'rock bottom'. Point is, the OP doesn't exactly scream privilege to me, which is what you seem to be implying, for whatever reason.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:25 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,642 times
Any god worth its salts wouldn't want to be worshiped.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:57 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,067 times
Worship seems like an extremely petty thing to demand... a very *human* desire.

And that's one thing that has never made sense to me about Judeo-Christian-Islamic concepts of god (and plenty of other 'god' concepts too). If we're talking about a supreme being here... an infinitely powerful and infinitely everywhere being that created the entire universe... why would we expect it to act like a human in any way? Or even be interested in humans? It's a ridiculous thing to assume... considering that 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999% of the universe it supposedly created is not human and has nothing to do with humans.

How childish and egotistical are we humans to believe that the ****ing CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE is some cosmic version of our species of stinky, petty, war-like primates.

Just goes to show that when people worship 'god'... they're really worshiping themselves, their subconscious, and their child-like concept of humanity's place in the universe.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:32 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I struggle as a person and have my own moments of personal despair. Yet, all I receive from other people is the self-righteous speech about needing God or if I don't choose him or his way, than I will get eternal punishment. Sometimes I just feel like I'm the only person on the planet who feels a certain way. And if there are only two options of eternal reward vs. punishment and these other people all think only their belief is true anyway, than where's that choice.

I wish people understood and sympathized instead of being callously self-righteous. I still believe God exists, but I don't want to worship him especially if I have to give up my entire individuality to be of him. Even if he is the truth and every other belief like free will is effectively true, I can't understand even liking God or wanting to worship him. I guess I'm even bitter or angry at God, but so what if people get angry because some person tricked or made a mistake to you.
I don't believe an intelligent creator of the universe exists. I could explain why, but that might derail the thread a bit.

I'm going to give you lots and lots of compliments now, and explain why I think you deserve them:

*You deserve a compliment for thinking outside the box.

*You deserve a compliment for questioning a god that you actually believe in. That can be a scary thing. Even if a person doesn't believe in punishment from that god, that still requires admitting to oneself that there might be a malevolent being ruling reality, and that can be a scary thought. That might be a fairly courageous thing to do.

*You deserve a compliment for being honest with not just others, but yourself. You're admitting your questions, not trying to suppress them.

*You're not being self-righteous at all. You're being humble and honest. Congratulations. Pat yourself on the back.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
You shouldn't but I understand. Being in the middle sometimes I feel like it's the same for me. People are atheist or religious..there's no in between or so it seems.
As an agnostic sort of theist I don't believe in worshiping anyone not even god. The creator is not perfect. There's probably no such thing as perfection and the evidence that they are is right here in our universe. Why would a perfect being create a world that had so much evil in it and do nothing about it?
I'm angry at the idea too. That's why I would like to believe that if a creator exists they are not that powerful. It's a lot easier to stomach than an all powerful being that just watches so many people around the world suffer.
That was always my perception of a god too, back when I believed in one.

Some people feel a great sense of love and comfort stemming from an all-powerful, ruling being. For me, anything that powerful and intelligent is kind of scary.

I think if a god exists, I'd prefer to think of it as an ignorant but friendly being peering down upon us with curiosity.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:36 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
It's not worth considering what fantasies make other peoples' lives more bearable, so you shouldn't give it a second thought. As there is absolutely zero proof of what any of these people think, it's abundantly clear that their beliefs are just as they say they are -- faith. Faith literally means believing whatever you feel like against all odds, without a rational basis. If it were rational, it wouldn't be called religion. So when someone confronts you with something ludicrous you may as well just ignore it or throw it back at them in some equally ridiculous fashion. "Well, I often wonder what Luke Skywalker would do in this situation, and I think that he'd probably (whatever)." No more silly than what they're telling you.

I don't have a tolerance for religious nonsense in my life so I avoid people like that. When it comes to a few family members, we all tolerate it, but they're respectful luckily and I'm respectful of them choosing to believe whatever they want as long as they don't shove it in my face. It happens those family members are also great people who I care about deeply, so at least I can respect they are living their faith and behaving in a way consistent with their values. It doesn't harm anyone in that case, they're not trying to convert the infidels or whatever, so live and let live. But if you're going to bring your religion to the light of day and it's full of laughable nonsense and contradictions, don't be surprised when it's ridiculed because it should be.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:40 PM

661 posts, read 521,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I don't believe an intelligent creator of the universe exists. I could explain why, but that might derail the thread a bit.

I'm going to give you lots and lots of compliments now, and explain why I think you deserve them:

*You deserve a compliment for thinking outside the box.

*You deserve a compliment for questioning a god that you actually believe in. That can be a scary thing. Even if a person doesn't believe in punishment from that god, that still requires admitting to oneself that there might be a malevolent being ruling reality, and that can be a scary thought. That might be a fairly courageous thing to do.

*You deserve a compliment for being honest with not just others, but yourself. You're admitting your questions, not trying to suppress them.

*You're not being self-righteous at all. You're being humble and honest. Congratulations. Pat yourself on the back.

Even if it came off otherwise in my OP, in reality I believe it's much more likely that God is just neutral than completely malevolent.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:27 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Worshipping or not worshipping God is a personal choice, and an established freedom and right in this country.

Advocating on this forum one way or another - and telling others how to live and believe - is stupid and unnecessary.

Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy