Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 03:12 AM

749 posts, read 481,478 times

Advertisements

Honestly it's shameful that we don't even know anything about reality. It's starting to get on my nerves a little bit. Like seriously, why is this so hard? What's the hold up? I mean just think about it for a second. It's 2018 and we're still clueless. We cannot know anything about what is on the outside. We haven't been able to travel to another galaxy, we've barely been on the moon, we have yet to make any contact with life on other planets.
If you really think about it, it's sad. We have all this technology now with smart phones and smart this and smart that. But we don't even know the basics about how it all started.

It's time we get down to Business and stopped the nonsense. No reason why it should be this hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 05:31 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times
I don’t understand what the hurry is. I’m drinking my morning coffee and just taking it in.

How will it affect your life if the scientists found out tomorrow? The great philosophers behind the movie “Hysterical” posed the question, “What difference does it make?”

Old 10-20-2018, 08:48 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I don’t understand what the hurry is. I’m drinking my morning coffee and just taking it in.

How will it affect your life if the scientists found out tomorrow? The great philosophers behind the movie “Hysterical” posed the question, “What difference does it make?”
Aaarrrgh! Zombies!!

Old 10-20-2018, 10:06 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Honestly it's shameful that we don't even know anything about reality. It's starting to get on my nerves a little bit. Like seriously, why is this so hard? What's the hold up? I mean just think about it for a second. It's 2018 and we're still clueless. We cannot know anything about what is on the outside. We haven't been able to travel to another galaxy, we've barely been on the moon, we have yet to make any contact with life on other planets.
If you really think about it, it's sad. We have all this technology now with smart phones and smart this and smart that. But we don't even know the basics about how it all started.

It's time we get down to Business and stopped the nonsense. No reason why it should be this hard.

There isn't any universal reality. It's all about personal perceptions. Focus on the self. The idea that we can decipher the depth and meaning of the cosmos with our limited intelligence is an exercise in futility.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:

The human animal is a rather unsuccessful branch of evolution. An intellectual capacity that can create and capitalize on its technological advances, and a root level emotional side that over rules that side in most human animals ruthlessly and habitually.

By and large the human animal serves itself with its intellectual side very unevenly, and lives on the whole in a state of rampant destructiveness in regard to its own species and the rest of the earthly environment.

As for the "smartphone" it is the human animals rectum made into an exterior object so that it can paw its hemorrhoids more easily and constantly. That deserves a certain amount of congratulation for practicality. And is the best looks at the human animal's reality problem yet.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:40 AM

574 posts, read 376,837 times
The main issue is time and distance. The distance problem means we can't get there from here. We really can't get anywhere beyond our own solar system because the speed of anything we build is too slow to travel very far within a human lifetime. Don't fall for all the sci fi fantasy about that changing anytime soon.

All we can do is observe and what we are seeing in the cosmos is very old information as the speed of light is fixed and looking at a galaxy a billion light years away means what we are seeing is a billion years old.

The big bang is a theory based on what we are able to observe. Before the big bang? Pick your favorite. Are there multiple universes, dimensions?

I buy into the idea that everything in the universe is composed of at the smallest level, nothing more than vibrating strings of energy. But I cannot wrap my tiny brain around 11 dimensions.

Read the 4% universe or watch the Cosmos series by Neil Degrasse Tyson and the original by Carl Sagan. Fascinating stuff but there are no complete answers.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:55 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
LOL this is one of the stupidest threads I have seen on any forum.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:28 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
Quote:

If this is bothering you so much and getting on your nerves and you think it shouldn't be so hard - why don't YOU do it?

Old 10-20-2018, 03:07 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:

Just think of it...the sheer audacity of life, of evolution, the development of millions of organisms and of cultures despite this huge gap in supposedly vital information. We do know one thing. That the universe doesn't revolve around you or what you demand. Guess I can wait until someone does find out. Even if/when they do, it's probably not going to change my plans for the weekend.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:50 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"No reason why it should be this hard."

The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.
Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington...and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy