Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 PM

1,082 posts, read 832,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Your OP was one sentence that essentially said nothing and you’re complaining about the content of the responses?
Don't even go there with the horsechit drama. I was giving my input, which is what happens in an educated and enlightened adult conversation. Wasn't "complaining" about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 05:05 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Oh, horse puckey. You're just getting old and grouchy about the younger generation because that's what people do as they age. It's another milestone in our lives.
I'm an old bag for sure BUT I felt this way when a young bride of 18 and my opinion remains the same today.

I always liked traditional males and traditional gender roles; aside from my personal preferences though I do feel this blurring/blending of gender is horrible for the species in general.

My reference to coddling the weak which several here interpreted as a reference to "millenials" wasn't about them as a group, at all. I was thinking of those who contribute not to the species such as intellectually impaired, drug addicts, welfare recipients and the like.

The connection I made between those examples and the decline of masculinity goes to my belief that weakness is now lauded and strength decried.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 12-13-2018 at 05:20 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 06:40 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Just wondering....LOL.....I give it one more year and it will turn.
The world is, and has always been, into "masculinism." We live in a patriarchal society.

Are you feeling less than masculine because women are able to get paid the same as men doing the same job, in some instances? Maybe you can see a therapist why someone else getting paid the same as you makes you feel less than worthwhile.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The world is, and has always been, into "masculinism." We live in a patriarchal society.

Are you feeling less than masculine because women are able to get paid the same as men doing the same job, in some instances? Maybe you can see a therapist why someone else getting paid the same as you makes you feel less than worthwhile.
LOL....yeah, you misread the point of this entirely. Thanks for the input though.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:12 AM

On a side note, I repped some of you for really good and thoughtful input. I forgot to include my screen name. Thanks for your worthwhile contributions. I appreciate it.

In all honesty, the thread was more tongue in cheek than anything, but I like some of the discussion it has influenced and put forth.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:04 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
I'm an old bag for sure BUT I felt this way when a young bride of 18 and my opinion remains the same today.

I always liked traditional males and traditional gender roles; aside from my personal preferences though I do feel this blurring/blending of gender is horrible for the species in general.

My reference to coddling the weak which several here interpreted as a reference to "millenials" wasn't about them as a group, at all. I was thinking of those who contribute not to the species such as intellectually impaired, drug addicts, welfare recipients and the like.

The connection I made between those examples and the decline of masculinity goes to my belief that weakness is now lauded and strength decried.
You forgot to add "get off my lawn."

I'm really glad your views are fading frankly and that girls don't get married at 18 for the most part. My life would be impossible in the world you grew up in. I own my own house, work a pretty high-powered job in a male dominated industry, and pretty much do what I want. 50 years ago, my best friend's mother was prevented from buying a house because she didn't have a husband to sign the papers for her, despite being a head of a household with a steady job and enough money to buy it in cash.

My dad grew up in the Depression trapping, fishing and hunting in the swamps of Jersey and he raised me to follow my own path. Guess he saw too many women getting beat up by "traditional" males. He's kind of losing it to dementia at this point, but he kinda loves that he raised a nontraditional woman.

Nobody's celebrating weakness, though I'm not even sure what you mean by that. But people are celebrating strength where it has been overlooked before. I'm not sure what you're advocating with regard to the intellectually impaired though - sterilization? death camps?

Go light a candle for the desiccated corpse of Ayn Rand if you must. Hitler's corpse is already burnt.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
Quote:
Most women in general that are straight, prefer masculine men. Not sissy Beta males that are unsure of themselves. They want Alphas that have an edge to them and take control of situations.
Ha not me. I'm a pretty take charge woman who likes to take control. My best travel companion was a gay guy who let me make most of the decisions.

So where do I find these Beta guys? He needs to be intelligent and most intelligent guys get good jobs that attract women.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:08 PM

15,622 posts, read 10,378,651 times
Masculine never went out of style!

Old 12-15-2018, 04:33 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Masculine never went out of style!
LMAO agree! But as another poster stated, it is now a style more often flaunted by females. Aggressive, angry, in your face with strident declarations of how strong they are, females.

I was always well treated my males in my life; I often ponder if many of those sorts have been harshly or poorly treated by males, either during their developing years by male relatives or as adults trying to find a mate; hence their stance.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
LMAO agree! But as another poster stated, it is now a style more often flaunted by females. Aggressive, angry, in your face with strident declarations of how strong they are, females.

I was always well treated my males in my life; I often ponder if many of those sorts have been harshly or poorly treated by males, either during their developing years by male relatives or as adults trying to find a mate; hence their stance.
It could very well be. Our environment makes a huge impact on us through our younger years. We all have things that have happened or people who left lifelong, lasting impressions on us....good as well as bad.

I have seen that when women are comfortable being feminine, and more into the role that women were designed to be in, their fathers were very loving, compassionate, and strong people. I know for me, as a dad to my daughter, my goal is to create a loving, SECURE, and emotionally healthy environment that she can flourish and thrive in. It is amazing to watch. She is ALL girl. I mean the flowers, dolls, wedding planning (yes at the age of 7), dress-up, playing house, the whole nine.

What this thread has reminded me of is this. We all have different world views and these are shaped by those who raised us, good AND bad. There are reasons people think the way they do. For me and my personal beliefs, it seems to be true that men and women were created to be different and have different roles. In general, men are the gatherers, the ones who provide, stand tall and protect the family, that sort of thing. We go out and hunt and gather, so to speak. When left alone to do what we were designed to do, we are damm good at it.

Women are nurturers. They know how to take care of the home and make it a place where the man and the kids can rest, relax, and enjoy each other. The is what she is damm GOOD at and designed to do. She can also work, has more endurance, can tolerate pain much more so than the man. Look at childbirth for example. I witnessed all of the labor and pain every step of the way with both of my kids. No man I have ever known or met could go through that for any length of time and here my wife endured it for 18 hours....TWICE....and came out with the most beautiful smile at the end of it all.

I don't know that the question is really whether or not men are still masculine or women are still feminine, but it's more a question of what was each sex (or gender) really designed to do? It seems to me that when men stop working and start staying home and the women leave and go out to hunt and gather, we have then switched roles and we are no longer doing what we were designed to do. I can't wrap my head around why we don't embrace our strengths and stick with our purpose. You see, when we leave the design, it begins to function as it should not. Sure, a woman CAN work and have a career, and if she chooses to do so, she SHOULD be paid the same and treated the same, but is she doing what she was meant for in this life? In the same way, when men decided to start staying home to care for the kids and be "house dads", sure, they could do it. But are we, as men, doing what we were really designed to do by nature? We can't breastfeed. Nurturing is a learned art and skill for us. Do we really think it's the best thing for the family as a whole to switch these roles? I know for me, the 6 weeks I stayed home with our firstborn was pretty much the hardest thing I have ever done. For her, once she put in the final weeks at her job to train someone else and came home for good, she blossomed. It what she was meant to do, and she knew it. I had no problem switching roles and, if need be, doing so indefinitely. But the one who was better at being home with a newborn certainly wasn't me.

It is not a matter of "can or can not" but more a matter of "should or should not".

You see, gender equality does NOT mean we do the same things, but rather, that we should be treated the same and get the same respect no matter WHAT we do or accomplish. Nothing pizzes me off more than a belligerent male being condescending and disrespectful to a woman. But,in the breath, a woman being belligerent and disrespectful to a man just to be so is purely and categorically disgusting.

One more thing. This thread was not asking if masculine behavior had gone away. I was more wondering when there was going to be a "masculinism" movement as there has been a "feminism" movement. That is why I said it was more tongue in cheek. Apparently that was lost on some of you.

Anyways, I said I would provide me personal views, so there they are. Let me just say, if you proceed to tear me down or be sarcastic, you will be ignored. It will not get you anywhere with me. People love to argue and be snarky on this forum. I am not one of them. Don't even bother. If you want to discuss like an adult, no matter how much I may have rubbed you wrong, be my guest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy