Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:13 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Well, I know when I point out something I am not good at, I recognize the benefits of being good at it. Are you feeling like this?
not sure I understand what your saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 05:26 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
not sure I understand what your saying?
No problem. If you decide you are not good at it, it means you attempted to form a relationship. Did you think there was a benefit?

I think you described quite well how I feel about relationships. While I *have* them, I mostly keep to myself. Or at least I prefer it. My friends on the other hand don't let me get away that easy but they know the boundaries.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
No problem. If you decide you are not good at it, it means you attempted to form a relationship. Did you think there was a benefit?

I think you described quite well how I feel about relationships. While I *have* them, I mostly keep to myself. Or at least I prefer it. My friends on the other hand don't let me get away that easy but they know the boundaries.
I have attempted to form many relationships....but as you, there are boundaries which most people don't have or understand....and people tend to smother..makes me very nervous.

This particular cousin, that I speak of is a nice girl...she's been thru some very hard times....so I wanted to be very careful not to hurt her. Patience and complete honesty is best....

So, while I have a network of friends, they have learned I can't live my life by their expectations. When you try to set up expectations you set people up to fail....and a lot of people won't understand that.

As far as any benefit? I don't look for any...but don't think b/c I've allowed you to be my friend, you get to invade my private life....or be smothering...calling me every night as soon as I get home from work, etc....

you have to respect people's boundaries...and we are not all the same. Also, I have learned to be upfront with people right off the bat, telling them I'm a loner, and am not in need of people in my life all the time....once in a while is fine....even holidays are becoming a quiet time that I look forward to....

Old 01-19-2019, 06:33 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
I have attempted to form many relationships....but as you, there are boundaries which most people don't have or understand....and people tend to smother..makes me very nervous.

This particular cousin, that I speak of is a nice girl...she's been thru some very hard times....so I wanted to be very careful not to hurt her. Patience and complete honesty is best....

So, while I have a network of friends, they have learned I can't live my life by their expectations. When you try to set up expectations you set people up to fail....and a lot of people won't understand that.

As far as any benefit? I don't look for any...but don't think b/c I've allowed you to be my friend, you get to invade my private life....or be smothering...calling me every night as soon as I get home from work, etc....

you have to respect people's boundaries...and we are not all the same. Also, I have learned to be upfront with people right off the bat, telling them I'm a loner, and am not in need of people in my life all the time....once in a while is fine....even holidays are becoming a quiet time that I look forward to....
Wow! This post is me. LOL. I am not an enabler for either negative people or "positive only" thinking people so that eliminates many people. It also leaves me out of many political and religious discussions so there's that.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:40 PM

38 posts, read 28,996 times
Quote:
sharing this to try and help people aware to be a little more aware outside of themselves.
All you can do is be yourself and if you are happy with spending more of your time alone or setting boundaries to friendships, that's what counts because it is your life after all. But just as you don't understand their need for closeness or people wanting to spend more time with you, you really can't expect them to completely understand you either. They may not understand it, but that does not necessarily mean they are not aware.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieB1980 View Post
All you can do is be yourself and if you are happy with spending more of your time alone or setting boundaries to friendships, that's what counts because it is your life after all. But just as you don't understand their need for closeness or people wanting to spend more time with you, you really can't expect them to completely understand you either. They may not understand it, but that does not necessarily mean they are not aware.
You are absolutely right and appreciate that reminder, thank you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy