Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 12:43 PM

19,797 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Anyone or anything standing in the way of my freedom.
You beat me to it, except that I would add "and my ability to lead the life of my choosing when these choices do not directly and physically harm anyone else."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 06:38 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
But here's the rub: do you consider your competitor and your enemy to be one and the same? You are the competitor to everyone else. Does that make you the enemy?

Everything you do, from education to bargain shopping to wooing a mate, is a competitive effort to gain what exists in limited supply. When does that cross a line to "enemy"?

Old 01-24-2019, 07:26 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Enemy is a pretty strong word. I've had people with whom I've crossed swords. And there are people I wouldn't spit on if they were on fire. But I don't have some struggle to the death in my life with some nemesis.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Bobby Thomas, haven't seen him since the 5th Grade but I'm always on the lookout for him when I'm out and about. Thought I once may have seen him on a bus heading the other way, but by the time I caught up to it and forced it to stop he was no longer on it.

Last edited by Ghengis; 01-24-2019 at 12:05 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 12:44 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Our only real enemies are those that inhabit our own minds.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:18 PM

725 posts, read 804,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
But here's the rub: do you consider your competitor and your enemy to be one and the same? You are the competitor to everyone else. Does that make you the enemy?

Everything you do, from education to bargain shopping to wooing a mate, is a competitive effort to gain what exists in limited supply. When does that cross a line to "enemy"?
When that person seeks to restrict freedom to do to your own body as you please, to raise your own kids how you please and to do with your own property as you please, by threats of physical force or actual use of force.

If you want to smoke, drink, do drugs, eat fatty food, not wear a seat belt, practice a religion, get a tattoo, kill yourself assisted or otherwise, play poker with friends for money, not pay by threat of force for services you don’t want and may abhor (taxes) or etc. it is your right to do so. Your body your choice.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:21 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Time

The greatest enemy of all. Your whole life revolves around it. Yet no matter what you do, you can never beat it. It will always get the last laugh.

"The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death."

https://youtu.be/rL3AgkwbYgo

Old 02-13-2019, 09:03 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The truth is different from freedom.

Not to me. Truth is freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post

I do not compete with anyone, and I laugh at people who think they are in competition with me. We are all on our own journey, living life at our own pace. The minute you look at another person as competition, you have already lost.

Quote:
Everything you do, from education to bargain shopping to wooing a mate, is a competitive effort to gain what exists in limited supply.

I don't operate from the "scarcity" model. That is what's wrong with the world today. Too many people think they have to control everything because sharing means they lose power. What a sorry existence. Power is an illusion.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:06 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
The ones telling me who my enemies are.
Great answer!

Old 02-14-2019, 05:35 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Not to me. Truth is freedom.

I do not compete with anyone, and I laugh at people who think they are in competition with me. We are all on our own journey, living life at our own pace. The minute you look at another person as competition, you have already lost.

I don't operate from the "scarcity" model. That is what's wrong with the world today. Too many people think they have to control everything because sharing means they lose power. What a sorry existence. Power is an illusion.
I look at people who manage their finances badly as 'the competition" and so do you. They are subsidizing our penalty-free credit card, and staying ahead of them is our incentive to manage our finances well. Whatever education level you attained was in competition for the better jobs, and so was showing up for work on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy